Best Bridal shops for dresses under $1K?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Best Bridal shops for dresses under $1K?

Hi Guys!  I'd love to start scoping out wedding dresses but I have a limited budget, so I was wondering if you guys have any advice for bridal shops that have a good selection of dresses under $1000?  I have been to David's Bridal and Camilla's in Arlington.  The other wrinkle is that I don't really like strapless, and both stores only had a few styles that weren't strapless.  I'd appreciate any advice!

Another related question:  how do trunk sales work?  I get lots of emails about them, but I'm not quite ready to buy yet.  Do you have to buy it that day to get the deal?  Are you buying a sample dress or do you get a new dress?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Best Bridal shops for dresses under $1K?

If you are willing to stretch the budget about $200 try any shop that carry's Maggie Sottero. Her dresses are not expensive at all, and she carries many dresses that are not strapless. Also, you can have straps sewed on your dress, or cap sleeves. It is all about finding designers out there whose dresses are under $1k. I know Alfred Angelo is very reasonably priced, and I know that LaSposa in Newton carries him. Good luck :)

I don't know much about sample sales, but Heather bought hers at one...so she could tell you all about it :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Trunk sales: Usually you get 10-15% off of new (not sample) dresses.  The exact discount can vary, but generally it is a way to try on more dresses from the designer's latest collection than are usually stocked as samples in the store, or to see them before they come to the store permanently.  The discount is something, but not huge generally.

Also, you might want to consult a seamstress on adding straps if you find a dress you like that is strapless.

I got my dress at Camilla's, so I can't really help with more store names...  good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. Maggie Sottero does have a bunch of non-strapless dresses, and any store that carries Maggies can order any dress for you.  You might like to browse the designer website for ideas, and then see if any area store carries them for you to try on.  Maggies are $600-1500, and the one I ordered from Camilla's was just under $1000.  I've also heard that Marry & Tux in NH carries a bunch of them, but I've never been there personally.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Have you tried Vows?  You should be able to get a really nice dress there for under $1000.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you are a jeans size 2 - 12, check out VOWS in Newton.  I got my ~$8000 silk designer gown there for $700.  They usually take another $100 off the price if you act like you aren't sure if you like the dress and will "have to think about it" as you head for the door...kind of like a used car dealership.  They sell designer sample dresses (hence the size limitation).  If you see one you like, you can wait and hope the price drops in a few months, too.  My dress was $1100 when I first saw it.  I went back a few months later, and it was $800.  I asked for $100 off, and they gave it to me.

P.S.  My dress wasn't strapless.  It had lace on the top and for sleeves.

Oh, and the sample dresses have never been owned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, that is fantastic, but annoying that they only cater to smaller girls :( Girls like myself, street size 12-14 would love a place like VOWS!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Best Bridal shops for dresses under $1K?:
    Kar, that is fantastic, but annoying that they only cater to smaller girls :( Girls like myself, street size 12-14 would love a place like VOWS!
    Posted by lizinboston

Yeah, Liz, it's too bad that samples aren't made for average sized women.  A wedding dress size 10 is very small - street size 4 or so.  Wedding dresses are designed to be able to be sized up or down 3 whole sizes, generally, though, so some of the larger samples might work for someone who's a street size 12.

Hey, you got your old name back?  Miss you during the day - how's the new job?  Not to hijack....sorry!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Job is good. I am done with training tomorrow, and I officially start Wednesday! I am on during the day sometimes...I can sneak on from time to time! How is the puppy??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Job is good. I am done with training tomorrow, and I officially start Wednesday! I am on during the day sometimes...I can sneak on from time to time! How is the puppy??
    Posted by lizinboston

Glad you are doing well!  Careful sneaking with the new job, some employers really watch that stuff and fire people for it.  Make sure you know what the culture is...not to be a mother hen, but you know that's what I do!

The pup's great, too - she's up to 35 lbs and hasn't had an accident in a long time (although, we have to be on the lookout for her still very subtle signs she has to go out).  She's out with Daddy for an evening jaunt down to the river. 

Sorry to hijack, trex, but I saw Liz and had to ask about the new job.  I'll post new pics in my puppy thread tomorrow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I got a Maggie Sottero at Marry and Tux in Nashua..  $750 and you save on luxury tax since its in NH!  :-)  I love them.. got all our bridesmaid dresses too.  I picked an alfred angelo and it's only $120 for the girls.  Flower girl dress there too for $99!  I definitely recommend Maggie Sottero.  Most have a lace up back too so you don't need many alterations except length.  Good Luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Jan, totally agree with you on the corset back! That is why I LOVE the Maggie gowns! They are also very reasonably priced. I got my gown at Marry and Tux. Haven't gotten my girls dresses yet. I didn't really look at them when I was there, did you think they had a good selection?

And yes Kar, I am being very careful :) Don't worry about being mother hen, that is why I love you! Kiss

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I don't know if you're willing to travel a bit - I got my Maggie Sottero dress for under $600 at Helene's in East Providence. They were SO good there. They asked my price range and only picked out dresses that were well below my limit. And, I was an idiot and showed up there without an appointment (I had an appointment at another place and got them confused) and even though they were really busy they still helped me out. They do all the alterations on site for $150. I am getting the corset back replaced with a zipper & buttons so that was a little extra.

They also have a TON of samples that are in perfect condition that you can get for really cheap (like $300)

The woman I worked with was amazing too. I brought a couple pictures and she just knew what dress I would love and had me try it on first. Ok, long post sorry, but I definitely recommend Helene's!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jan, totally agree with you on the corset back! That is why I LOVE the Maggie gowns! They are also very reasonably priced. I got my gown at Marry and Tux. Haven't gotten my girls dresses yet. I didn't really look at them when I was there, did you think they had a good selection? And yes Kar, I am being very careful :) Don't worry about being mother hen, that is why I love you!
    Posted by lizinboston

Liz, you're too sweet, Hon. Cool

cici, sounds like that place is worth the drive.  I have no regrets, but if I'd known about that place I'd have definitely checked it out before I bought my gown.  $300???  WOW!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: Best Bridal shops for dresses under $1K? : Liz, you're too sweet, Hon. cici, sounds like that place is worth the drive.  I have no regrets, but if I'd known about that place I'd have definitely checked it out before I bought my gown.  $300???  WOW!
    Posted by kargiver

It seriously is! I was so happy that I made the "mistake" of going to that shop.

All the samples I saw were between $400 - $700 with an additional 20-30% off. Unbelievable!

Also, I'm not sure about the RI sales tax laws, but I wasn't charged any.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

I got mine at Maria of Italy in Plymouth, MA.  It was under 1K, and I got a beautiful free veil for ordering the dress that weekend. Their customer service was excellent. There were lots of dresses to choose from, non-strapless and strapless. I cannot wait for mine to come in!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Vows is great, but I think requires a few trips since they get new stuff in all the time. Also Cristina's in Andover had dresses that were around $1000, and a pretty good selection.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Liz - you have the most amazing memory!

Trex - I bought my Augusta Jones at a trunk sale at a store in Belmont.  It came in at under $1000 (I can't even remember exactly how much it cost...)  I did have to purchase it that day to get the 20% discount.  Ditto Jasmine on the details she supplied about trunk shows.  Even if you're not sure if you're ready to buy, it can be worth going to a trunk show just to try on the additional dresses that the shop will have, that they don't normally carry.  Just make sure to make an appointment (depending on the shop).

Re: Vows - that was the first place I tried on dresses.  I am a street size 12-14 and I actually found several dresses there that fit and were very pretty.  I was just looking for something different (the off the shoulder strap look).  It's true, though, you can get straps or a halter or cap sleeves sewn into any dress.

Good luck!

If you are willing to stretch the budget about $200 try any shop that carry's Maggie Sottero. Her dresses are not expensive at all, and she carries many dresses that are not strapless. Also, you can have straps sewed on your dress, or cap sleeves. It is all about finding designers out there whose dresses are under $1k. I know Alfred Angelo is very reasonably priced, and I know that LaSposa in Newton carries him. Good luck :) I don't know much about sample sales, but Heather bought hers at one...so she could tell you all about it :)
    Posted by lizinboston

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Liz - their selection on bridesmaid dresses was decent.. not outstanding but definitely good.  We were able to see enough of the colors to know what we wanted, and then enough of the styles.  my two bridesmaids that came with me fit perfectly in the sample sizes too which helped.  I ended up with tealness and my maid of honors (two - best friend and sister cuz my fiance has two brothers he wants both too) have an ivory sash on them and my other bridesmaids have a champagne sash on them.  I think both sashes look great with the tealness.  and the flower girl dress is ivory with a tealness sash!

I also looked at David's Bridal, Gianna's in Stoneham, MA, and 125 Bridal in Plaistow.  I ended up going back to the Maggie Sottero one at Marry and Tux after trying it on again at Gianna's.. 

Good luck!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Marry&Tux! It's on Daniel Webster Highway in Nashua, NH. I got my Maggie Sottero there for $800. The dresses are good quality and the people who work there are awesome. No pressure either, I left and came back later.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  Thanks for the great advice!  I looked at the Maggie Sottero website and wow, she makes some amazing dresses.  Far more on her website than I saw on theknot.com.

Another question:  can you guys recommend any other designers that make lower cost dresses that I should check out? 

The idea of adding straps is also really helpful!  I was mostly looking at V-neck lines, but I could probably add straps to a sweetheart strapless and that would be really pretty!  I want to get married in the fall and I always have horrible tan lines (I have dark skin), so definitely need to be able to cover those!  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

My sister went to Bridals by Sylvia in Mattapoisett for her wedding a few years back. She got married in the winter and had a long-sleeved dress. It was really pretty. Not sure what brand, but that bridal shop had a lot of different styles and wasn't expensive.

It sounds like Maggie Sottero is very popular here! I'm curious - what style did you all get??

ETA: Have you looked at the J.Crew website? They also have a ton of affordable dresses in a bunch of different styles

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Add me to the Marry and Tux fans...I got my Casablanca dress there for $1200...and the most expensive dresses they have are $1500, so even if you fall in love with something over budget, you know it's not like going overbudget on "Say Yes to the Dress".

I also was looking for something that wasn't strapless and they had a great selection.  The dress I ended up getting had a deep V neckline front and back, and I got a ton of compliments on it. 

They're really nice there, too.  I'd go for the ride and check it out!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Here's the Casablanca site...

http://www.casablancabridal.com/Home.asp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Another Marry and Tux bride here.  I bought off the rack and paid $375 for a Bridal Originals.  They have ALL sizes there...from minis to plus!  If you're going on a Saturday, make an appointment (you should do this anywhere you go, though.)

Sections
Shortcuts