Best Dress Shops

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RosKer. Show RosKer's posts

Best Dress Shops

Allure in Westwood

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Best Dress Shops

I just bought my dress at Bride n' Belle and Jo was fantastic!! I would definitely recommend them. Certainly not luxurious on the outside, but, upstairs was a large fitting area and they let me sift through any and all the dresses. The dress I bought, Jo picked out. I would NEVER have selected it off the rack, but, once on--I totally fell in love! She also gave me 10% off. Plus, it was a trunk show that weekend and I got my dress for $719! Loved it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Best Dress Shops

[Quote]Don't go to VOWS? I got this $8000 (estimated by Anahit, my seamstress) Romona Keveza (sp?) for $700 at VOWS... Yes, they are like used car salesman, but, wow, the dresses. I would say avoid there if you are bigger than a size 10 street size, though; all the dresses are new samples.

[/Quote]

Lookin' good, kargiver! I love your dress.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kkbride09. Show kkbride09's posts

Best Dress Shops

I just wanted to give another THUMBS UP for Precious Moments in Malden!! They did just expand last week, huge selection, great prices, and honest service!!! I bought my dress today, an EXCELLENT condition sample Maggie (Phillipa) with a great discount, and fabulous custom alterations!! I can't say enough about my experience at this very deceiving shop!!! Don't walk, run and find your dream dress...I did!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RN13. Show RN13's posts

Best Dress Shops

I had a fabulous experience at Precious Memories! Great dresses, great prices, nice salewomen. I was scared too, but it was great. Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Best Dress Shops

I got my dress at Marry&Tux in Nashua NH (no sales tax!). They were great there, not pushy at all, and they have dresses from $600 to $1500. I was on the lower end of that and I found a dress I love (Maggie Sottero)!

When I went dress shopping, we went to Marry&Tux, then had an appt at David's Bridal down the street. I couldn't wait to get OUT of David's! I showed the consultant there photos, told her what I definitely didn't want and what I was looking for. She *only* brought out things I told her I definitely "didn't* want. That place is a factory. My girls got their BM dresses there for only $80, though. That trip to David's was also a pain, but it worked out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from molly980. Show molly980's posts

Best Dress Shops

Definitely Sabella Couture in Boston. Gorgeous gowns, great prices and quality, and the best customer service of any of the shops that I went to, and I went to a whole lot of them! They are super nice, and I couldn't be any happier!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

Best Dress Shops

sounds pretty.... 2 shops in 1 day.. no problem.. as long as you go the right places.... I fell in love with a certain style.. and I've never really changed my mind.. I ended up going by myself, 1st time to Precious Memories.. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I wouldn't put people through the torture!!!! 1 thing for sure make an appointment.... you'll get better service, and more attention... anywho... tell them what you are looking for they are very organized... I ended up finding my dream dress.. which was from 2006 collections from Christina Wu.. and they had it.. lucky I guess... it was my 1st dress that I tried on.. and WOW!!!! I'm soo excited.. I also tried on some other stuff to make sure... the best part is that they are not trying to just make a sale.. honest feed back!! Bonus... if you buy your dress there.. the bridal party gets a 10% discount on their dresses.. and you guessed it my MOH, and I picked the same dress... seperatly.. we were sold!!! Good luck.. and for me ... just to sweetin the deal I also live in Malden.. so close to home, and I can check that off my list!!!!! I thought that was going to be the hardest part of planning.. turns out so far the best and easiest!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Best Dress Shops

I had a similar budget. I ended up getting my dress at la reine in waltham. i told the sales woman what i wanted and did not want and she came up with the perfect dress for me. i can't wait for it to come in :-)

kargiver--completely agreed about davids. if you find a dress there that you love you should go for it. logically- its silly to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a dress you wear for twelve hours. i saw a dress i really liked there. unfortunately, it just didn't fit right and the sales woman was very pushy. also becareful when you fill out the customer form--davids and mw tux have been calling me regularly since my visit in august.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Best Dress Shops

I second Allure - the were fantastic. Do NOT go to Vows.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

Best Dress Shops

don't forget to make an appointment... service will be better, since they are allocating time for you!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Best Dress Shops

Yeah...close, but definitely not a size 10. ;)

I think I'll try to do PM and Bride n' Belle. They're in the same area (relative to me, anyway) and they both seem to have a lot of designers. Hope their open for the holiday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Best Dress Shops

I'm going to schedule a non-Monday trip to Camilla's and la Reine. That is, of course unless I find "the one" during my Monday outing.

I liked David's just fine and there were a couple dresses that can fit the bill. The sales woman was pretty down to earth. She just went about her business, but every so often when I'd be looking with skepticism at the dress I had on, she would grab a handful and tweak it here or there and I'd go, "oh...I see..."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Best Dress Shops

[Quote]I second that!!! Precious Memories takes the pressure out of shopping for a dress.. great selection, and prices.. they also have just expanded.. so they have some great sale prices now.. I had Donna help me.. and it's like having an old friend there with you.. except they tell you the truth!!!

Good luck!! Any idea's of what you are looking for?

Staci
    [/Quote]

Precious Memories leads the pack so far. Do you ladies think two shops in one day is doable?

Staci, if you're asking about style, I'm looking for Empire. It's the most flattering for my body type as well as the most comfortable. I don't like to be cinched, I like to eat and dance! I also like chiffon. I've liked it since I was a little girl and I never grew out of the love of the floaty dress. David's Bridal has a couple chiffon Empire dresses that work for me (I went there on a midnight raid without the girls), but I'd like to try to see what else is available, especially something made out of real silk, don't know if that's possible under $1000, though.

I did try on a couple of outrageous gowns at DB, Ball Gowns and whatnot. They're pretty awsomely bridal, but I looked in the mirror and did not see myself. I'd like to have the dress be "me."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Best Dress Shops

I got an empire waist chiffon-style overlay dress at DB's for $99. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best Dress Shops

ams, absolutely, there's no shame in buying a dress from David's. David's has a bad rep for how many bad experiences people do have there, but if you happen to find your dream gown there for a great price and happen to get great service, it's nothing to be ashamed of - it's great!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best Dress Shops

Don't go to VOWS? I got this $8000 (estimated by Anahit, my seamstress) Romona Keveza (sp?) for $700 at VOWS... Yes, they are like used car salesman, but, wow, the dresses. I would say avoid there if you are bigger than a size 10 street size, though; all the dresses are new samples.

dress-1.jpg picture by kargiver

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from danielle82274. Show danielle82274's posts

Best Dress Shops

I'd try Gianna's in Stoneham, that's where I got mine and they have a ton under $1000, check their website, I used a 10% off coupon that they had at one point. Tons of Maggie Sottero's.

Also try Precious Memories in Malden. Going during the week is a great idea, much less crowded/hectic. Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Best Dress Shops

ehh, "shame" was the wrong word to use. But I have loved my experience with david's even dating back to my Junior prom haha. :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Best Dress Shops

Detail

So, I would say if you found a dress you liked at David's, go for it. But, get it altered somewhere else. David's is so high volume, I'd avoid counting on them to have your alterations done in time.
    Two of my BMs (the first two ladies in the first pic) got their dresses at David's as well. Even though they are quite differently shaped, they both ended up buying the same dress right off the rack and they both looked great. They also did not have alterations done at David's.
    I think you can get a heck of a deal there, so I'd recommend David's to anyone. You just can't have high expectations for their service. I went on a weekday afternoon and had the place to myself, so my experience was good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Best Dress Shops

I can't see the latest post, but this reminds me to update.

I went to three shops, Precious Memories, Bride 'n Belle, and Camilla's. All were good in their own ways. I found all the shops had great service. I ended up being the typical bride yet again, by falling in love with the first dress I tried on. I found that hard to accept so I kept on with my dress trial programe and visited all the shops on my list. I tried dresses that were in my preferred style and I gamely tried dresses that my girlfriends and the consultants really wanted me to try. I have to admit that there were dresses that were more formal and even more flattering than the dress I fell in love with, but whenever I put it on I smiled and felt like I was me in my dream dress.

Both Camilla's and Precious Memories had the dress that I wanted. Both shops were great. I ended up going with Precious Memories mostly because there are many more reviews about their seamstress, as she's been there a longer time and the great majority of the reviews were positive.

So, now I wait for the thing to come in. Seems like a long way for a dress to go to get to me.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I don't think I could have even gotten a start without them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RN13. Show RN13's posts

Best Dress Shops

Just to add to Staci's good advice-- most of the dresses at PM are under your budget. Totally do-able. YOu'll be presently surprised.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejc514. Show ejc514's posts

Best Dress Shops

The Bridal Secret in Quincy --- I had much better service there than Vows with the same off-the-rack, high quality dresses.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

Best Dress Shops

I second that!!! Precious Memories takes the pressure out of shopping for a dress.. great selection, and prices.. they also have just expanded.. so they have some great sale prices now.. I had Donna help me.. and it's like having an old friend there with you.. except they tell you the truth!!!

Good luck!! Any idea's of what you are looking for?

Staci

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Best Dress Shops

Hi, Since I have the day off on Monday, my girlfriends have strong armed me into agreeing to go dress shopping. So...where should I go for a dress under $1000? Camilla's isn't open on Mondays, I know that shop is recommended here, so I already checked.