Best place to get maternity bridesmaid dresses - in a hurry!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Best place to get maternity bridesmaid dresses - in a hurry!

It is looking like my sister is getting married in southern Maine the first week of MAY!!!!   OF THIS YEAR!!!!!   She got a great last-minute deal from an awesome reception locaion, and they are in the last parts of negotiating the deal now :-)   WOO HOO!!!   The cake, food, ceremony and reception location and the DJ are all included - nice for her because she is planning from across country.... tough for me because - at that time I will be 27 weeks pregnant and I am in her bridal party!   She is planning a mostly JCrew wedding because she works there and gets a big discount - they were trying to convince the both of us that one of their dresses would work out nicely for a maternity dress, but its a knee length - I really just don't think its gonna fly!!!  lol.  This is the dress I'm pretty sure they were trying to convince me on.... lol.   (rolls eyes)

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WeddingParties/Wedding_Bridesmaid/dresses/silktricotine/PRDOVR~62983/62983.jsp

Yeah.... I don't think so.

So, can you suggest to me a place to get a great maternity dress, STAT???   Thanks!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Best place to get maternity bridesmaid dresses - in a hurry!

How tall are you?  I am 5'5" and I own that dress.  It hits closer to my mid-calf than at the knee.  I don't know anything about maternity wear, but you might want to try it on before ruling it out.

ETA: I think my biggest concern might be the wide empire waist band constricting at too low a point, rather than the total length of the dress.  However, I have no idea what most ladies look like at 27 weeks, so you are probably right if you think a maternity gown would provide a better fit.  Have you checked David's?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I wore that dress for a recent wedding.  It was long on me too (I'm 5'4").  Bride wanted it just below the knee, so I had it hemmed and they cut off a lot, probably 2 to 3"?  So it isn't too short, definitely longer than it shows in the photo.

However, I have to say I hated that dress.  It is kind of low cut (and I'm a B cup, so if you are fuller on top, you might not be comfortable in it) and I'm a size 8 and it just looked terrible on me.  However, it did look good on the other 5 BMs who were much thinner than me. 

I would assume DB has maternity dresses and I think they come in pretty fast!  But might be tough to match the J Crew fabric/color if that is what everyone else is wearing.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I was getting WAY ahead of myself looking at maternity dresses a few weeks ago.  Check out A Pea in the Pod. They have the cutest dresses.  For example:

http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product.asp?product_Id=157220023&MasterCategory_Id=MC3

Madeline's Daughter in Portsmouth [just off the traffic circle] also has a good selection of dresses. I'm sure they could help you out.  GL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Congratulations!

I have a bridesmaid that is going to be 27 weeks pregnant at my wedding. I ordered her a dress from Dessy. They have 4 maternity styles and we went for the plain strapless one. The shop we ordered it from (125 Bridal) told us that maternity dresses come in quicker and that he dress should be here in 8 to 10 weeks or we could have put a rush on it for an extra $40 I think. You would definitely need to order it this weekend, but it wouldn't be impossible. Bari Jay is another designer who has a full maternity line. HTH!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ALF- that place does have the cutest stuff. I worked for a very short time at the Juicy Couture on Newbury street and there was A Pea in the Pod next door and the dresses in their windows were always cuter than the dresses in Juicy's window IMHO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

You're instincts are right.  I'm 29 weeks and that dress would absolutely not be comfortable.  It seems like they'd need to do so many alterations to make it comfortable for you.  You're not going to want much of anything in the way of a belt any lower than right below your boobs.  What about one of the empire waist styles that are so popular right now?  I can still wear a lot of non-maternity clothes because so many of the styles are loose and flowy.  I took a quick look at the J. Crew website and saw this one that looks like it'd work:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WeddingParties/Wedding_Bridesmaid/dresses/empire/PRDOVR~22512/22512.jsp

Good luck with your pregnancy :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

You are right, that dress would prob. not work for you.  The dress that trouble listed is something that I would thing would work much better.  You would need a dress that is not form fitting below the waist.  What dresses is your sister ordering for the other girls?   Even the Juliet dress would be better if it hits at the right spot since it is free flowing and a more forgiving material under the band.    Jcrew is not the place to get a maternity dress, but at 27 weeks one might work.  It really depends on how big you are...    Others are right too that you may have a hard time matching colors if you go elsewhere.  You'll have to talk to your sister and find out how she feels about miss matched dresses, or one not exactly the right color.    Also, just wondering why are you worried about the length? I think knee length looks fine on maternity dresses. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from veggirl. Show veggirl's posts

Hi girls, thanks for the responses!

I also like the taryn dress, but the bride is probably going with that one for HER dress, so she should look different from us (hers will be floor length of course.)   Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

1 of my bridesmaids wore that dress, and I own one, too - it's very pretty and doesn't have a  belt, but it would NOT work for someone who is 6+ months pregnant, in my opinion, it's not very forgiving around the tummy area.

Are you the MOH?  If so, you can totally wear a different color than the rest of the wedding party.  I did at my sister's wedding - she chose a dress at a store (Nordstroms I think?) for her wedding that was about 8-10 wks away but the style completely did NOT fit me because of the sheath style (I got me some HIPS and some BUM).  I was the MOH so I wore a different color, different style, but the color worked with the other women's sage dresses (I wore navy).  it looked fabulous, and I looked good (vs. looking like some big ol' fat thing in an ugly color) which I think was important to my sister, if only because the photos would look good.

Now, if you're not the MOH, I'm trying to think of another reason why you could have a different color than them?  Because it will be IMPOSSIBLE to match a dress from a different designer with the jcrew colors. 

If your sister could buy me a Sophia dress in every single color (size 14) in a short style with her discount, I'd be thrilled! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from keywestsunset. Show keywestsunset's posts

I am 27 weeks pregnant now and I don't think I could wear a non maternity dress at this point. I'm not huge but I definitely do have a baby belly.

The problem with wearing most non-maternity dresses, especially shorter dresses, is that your hem line make come up in the front because of your belly. Maternity dresses (or a dress long enough to get hemmed) account for your belly and the dress has an even hem.

Good luck with your search.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

Here are some options from Lord and Taylor - Their Burlington store had beautiful dresses.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/womensapparel-Dresses-LongCocktail-Yellow_Silk___Lurex_One_Shoulder_Dress-lordandtaylor/141879

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/womensapparel-promshop-shopbysilhouette-long-Angelina_Sleeveless_Silk_Chiffon_Gown-lordandtaylor/139103

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/womensapparel-sigsaleoffers-Sleeveless_V_Neck_Empire_Waist_Dress-lordandtaylor/56766

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/womensapparel-Dresses-Beaded_Empire_Waist_White_Chiffon_Dress-lordandtaylor/138358