BM dress prices

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Re: BM dress prices

In Response to BM dress prices:
    I just wanted to get a general consensus from you girls on how much you think is too much for a bridesmaid dress.  I found one that I love, but it's more than I'd like my BM's to spend.  (the one I found is $255)  I don't want to be a selfish bride, but I'm pretty picky about the color so my options are fairly limited.  hmm....
    Posted by chels51

I was VERY picky and after the sash was added in it was $300.  I paid $100 toward each dress because I didn't want my bridesmaids to spend more than $200.  I expect to pay about $200 for a dress if I when I am a bridesmaid...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I think, to some extent, it depends on you and your friends.  I know people who wouldn't blink at spending $450 on a dress, and people who would be upset to spend more than $75.

Is the dress likely to need a lot of expensive alterations?  Are you requiring specific, expensive shoes, accessories, nails, makeup, etc.?  If so, it's probably too much to spend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I don't know, I think $200+ is a lot to ask.  I wouldn't want to pay more than $150 for a dress especially ones that need to be altered or need accessories.  My BMs spent $135 and only one needed alterations.  I bought their shoes and bags.

When you add in mani/pedis, hair, makeup, dress, accessories, bachelorette party, bridal shower, etc BMs can end up spending a fortune.  Everyone has different circumstances, but I wouldn't ask my friends to spend over $150 on a dress.  And if I found one that I absolutely loved over that amount, I would pay the difference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I've been in 5 weddings.. the most I spent was $210 for a dress.  thankfully i only needed a hem for that dress to.  It was a while ago too when I was just shortly out of college with not much money and I remember stressing about it but never complained to the bride.  did what needed and I would find a way for any of them.  My bridesmaid dress I picked for our wedding was only $120.  I was psyched and they were all thankful too.. usually you don't hear anything but when it's less then they were expecting I think they are happy/thankful.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

Next year I'm going to be in my 7th wedding. . . I think the most I've spent so far is $180-200.  Anything over $200 would seem like too much to me.  Can you go for a more neutral dress color and bring in the color you like with the flowers in the bridesmaids' bouquet?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Just like Scrab, in June, I will be in my 7th wedding, and in August my 8th!
    It get's sooo expensive. Try to keep it lower than $200 if you can.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I would hope to pay about $150 max for a BM dress.  The last wedding I was in, I needed a hem and to shorten the straps on the BM dress and that cost $55 on top of the $150 price, so about $200 total.  That's a lot for a dress I will never wear again.  (But then, I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 on a dress for myself, even one I love.  I guess I'm cheap!). 

Of course it does depend on the financial situation of your BMs as well, if they are doing well, they might not care.  However, I know pretty much all of my friends are broke like me, so I'm hoping to get dresses at David's Bridal or similar for no more than like $135, maybe less if I can find them on sale.  I just don't want them to be struggling to pay for something for my wedding.  I actually nixed exchanging Christmas presents this year for the same reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It depends on your BMs. I think anything in the $150-200 range is reasonable for a dress.  Keep in mind that they are probably going to need alterations, so that's going to get a $200 dress closer to $250-275, and then you have to get shoes.  I would be annoyed if I had to spend more than $300-400 total on my attire as a BM.  In the end, it's what works for your BMs.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with lucy; it depends on the relative incomes of your friends.  Also, it depends on the value you place on it, a very personal thing.  My friends could have afforded dresses up to $300, but I wouldn't have asked them to pay that.  My MOH (my only attendant) found a dress we both loved online for $80.  I was thrilled with it.  Satiny, full length, and flattering to her shape.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hey Kar!  Where did you find a BM dress for $80?  I would love that!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I agree with others, who are your bm?  Do they all have jobs and are willing to spend money on these types of things?   I found some Aria dresses that I loved, but after being in so many weddings and being sick of spending 200 for a dress that is now at good will, I decided against making my girls pay 150-200 for a dress.  
    I had a friend that was unemployed and the only way she could be part of the wedding party was for the dress to be cheap.  I ended up buying all of my girls bm dressed for them as part of their gift, they were only 40 each, they just had to buy their shoes.     As long as the dresses photograph well you are all set, I think it is crazy to make someone spend hundreds of dollars for something they wont wear again, because they wont, unless it is a black cocktail dress.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I think anything over $200 is too much, especially for a dress they'll probably only wear once. Try to stay around $150. With shoes, jewelry, manis, pedis, gifts they'll probably get you, etc it adds up. 

My BM dresses were $80 (David's Bridal). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chels51. Show chels51's posts

Thanks!  That helps a lot. Yeah I definitely want to keep it around or under $200.  I think the most I've paid myself for a BM dress was $210 without alterations.  I don't want to go overboard.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

FWIW, I expect to pay about $175. I'm okay with spending a little more if it's a dress I might wear again. I did pay $200 for a dress last summer, but it's a little black dress. If I can wear it one more time, it will be the least expensive dress in terms of cost per wear.

If you can, try to get the BM dresses from the same place you got your dress. Most places will do a 10% discount for the BM's if you got your dress there too. That might make the dress you picked more reasonable to some of your girls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: BM dress prices:
    [QUOTE]Hey Kar!  Where did you find a BM dress for $80?  I would love that!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Hm, let me see if I can find it.  It was about a year and a half ago...

ETA:  Here it is, now for $65.  It was awesome, and my MOH got it in a very plus size.  It came with a wrap that she found very nice to cover the top of her arms.  Strapless Satin Long Gown

P.S.  There's a similarly named/styled dress that's shorter, too, if you don't want the floor length.  Oh, and it comes in tons of colors, too.  The material is nice and heavy, not chinsy (sp?)/cheap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Very pretty Kar!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Friar!  I just looked, again, and rediscovered all the other beautiful styles of dresses on that page all $70.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I wouldn't want to spend more than $150. Simply because I know I'm going to have to buy shoes, get alterations, get a haircut, get undergarments, etc.
    Even if you don't require your bridesmaids to get certain accessories, there's slim chance they already have something to match the dress, unless it's black.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I agree with the others and wouldn't want to spend over $200.  My BM's dresses for $105 from DB. 

If trying to work with a specific color, could you do a neutral color dress and then add a sash in the color you originally wanted?

Also, if you're asking them to spend a little more on the dress maybe you could take it easy on the accessories?  I didn't want my girls to have to buy specific shoes so I just told them the color I preferred (silver) and they are wearing whatever style they want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought those $70 dresses I posted came in every color anyone could dream up...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Try to think about your BMs overall cost of being in your wedding.  If you are having a shower, they will each likely need to spend upwards of $100-200 depending on where it is held and where the food comes from.  If they throw you a bachelorette party, typically they do not want the bride to pay for anything and it could be another $100+ each, depending, again, on what is done.  Are you going to want them to get special shoes, accessories, have their hair/makeup/nails done?  If you want them to do these things, it could be another $200+. 

This is pretty much the summary of the last wedding I was in.  The dresses were from Ann Taylor and were not that expensive - which was a relief since all the above added up quite a bit!  And that's not including shower and wedding gifts. 

But you know your BMs and probably have a sense of what is ok with them.  Good luck!

As an aside, I love the dress that Kargiver posted the link to.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I think $250 is way too much.  I think $150 is reasonable.

BM dresses all look alike anyway - really, no offense meant, but they really truly do.

See if you can find a similar color at David's Bridal or someplace else cheap.  If you have your heart set on your chosen dress, I think it would be nice if you paid $100 toward each dress. 

(If you're spending $15K on your wedding, that would be about 3% of your total wedding budget.)

No BM should be asked to get a mani, pedi, or special hairdo or specific shoes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: BM dress prices:
    [QUOTE]No BM should be asked to get a mani, pedi, or special hairdo or specific shoes.
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

My friend was in a wedding a few years ago.  She was required to grow her hair out for months before the wedding so it would be long enough for an updo.  Ridiculous.

I don't see anything wrong asking BMs to wear matching shoes, as long as they aren't Jimmy Choos or something.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All this is why I chose to have one attendant, my MOH.  She picked out her dress (we worked together for convenience) and wore shoes of her choosing.  I don't even remember looking at her shoes and have no idea what she wore!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I have to add, I'm kind of astonished at those of you who have been in so many weddings.  Who the heck is that close friends with that many people, or does everyone just always ask all her college roommates...

It would be interesting to find out, of all the weddings you've been in, how many of the brides are you still close friends with.

I guess I'm grateful that very few of my friends were into getting married when I was in my 20s so I didn't have to deal with that.

I"ve only been in 5 weddings in my life - a jr. bm for my older sis, MOH twice for my a-hole sister (she has no friends), and MOH for my BFF. 

Waggie, I know you win the prize for being in the most weddings in one lifetime!!!  You could have started your own store with your bm dresses!