BM dress prices

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: BM dress prices

Gee, Cos, and I seem to remember one sweetheart poster who concluded I was the anti-social type who never got chosen to play on a team and probably did not have a friend in the world.

It is 24 now, but more than 2/3 were choose your own dress within certain color guidelines, and every one of them I have worn repeatedly since.
         Also,  without making a big deal of it, 3   I wore in 2 different weddings each,  one a friend where no one in my family attended(army or school friend)  and one a family wedding.  But that's a secret, so don't tell anyone.

And twice I have worn a dress that was real bridesmaidy - and not bought it, because my sister or my first cousin my size had the right candy apple red or periwinkle one for a wedding a few months before or after.  The dress lobby of the wedding industry probably thinks that is illegal.

Oh, and did I tell you, for when I was really broke - I can sew!  Bet you would never have guessed!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Interesting observation, Cosmo!  I kind of wonder that myself sometimes and I thought I was a freak because up until about a year ago, I had never been a BM!  I was very sad about it (especially when my sister got married and didn't have a bridal party, that was disappointing).  But I've been in 2 recently, and it was a lot of fun, but also *really* expensive!  So now I feel bad for my friends who have been in like 10 weddings (instead of jealous like I used to be!).  That is also why I really don't want my BMs to have to spend a lot of money.

Funny too, for my friend last year, she reused the BM dresses from another friends wedding.  Two of the girls were in the other wedding and she gave me her BM dress to wear!  It was awesome, saved us $150 on a new dress!  We joked that we should use them for my wedding (but selfishly, I don't want to!).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

As my parents together have 19 sibs and 1/2 sibs, and 75 of my first cousins grew up within 15 miles of my home-  with most towns in the area well under 2,000 people... cousins were also best friends.  Local elementary schools, but groups of towns in Jr High and High together.  My last high school year I had 5 brothers and sisters and 21 first cousins  in the same school of just over 600.   It does make a difference in small town rural areas.
         A friend who has also been in a heap of weddings comes from a small family.  But when we talked once, we concluded some has to do with hobbies and profession.  We were each on a couple of women's sports teams with 10 to 15 members for several years through jr high and high, both played instruments so we had lessons with the same few other kids for years. Both quilters,  each belonged to small hiking groups, her to dance and my to canoe and bike groups.
         Nursing majors undergrad.  SW, or OT and PT grad. 75% women, and you work shifts while going to school, practica, 4-6 semesters and summers not just classes.  I was in Army Medical Corp, where far more men have been overseas and far more women serve on bases and rehab state side.  Then working in small group settings on professional teams that are mostly ...  women.
        So though it is not a tradition to be in sister's weddings in our family -  cousins, 1st and second are  common.  Did I say 61  2nd cousins within 30 miles of home?   I live back there now, and so do nearly half my cousins who grew up in the area!

As for keeping up with people, I have only lost touch with 2 people whose weddings I have been in, a former coach and a music teacher- they were years older, settled down and were having kids when I went off to college, then they moved west.

There are 3 people where in a way being in the wedding was expected to be  an end to the active friendship thing - we were moving on, 1 from high school, 1 college friend, 1 from the army.  We knew we would never live within 2,000 miles again.  But in the last 5 years,  we all live close enough for visits, after being active letter writers and phone call friends for years.  My 3 attendants! Now I can paddle a kayak from my house to 2 of them on the same river and brook system -  and they came from OR and NM!

So it is not just "cheerleader types"  and sorority girls, who are in lots of weddings.  And yes, it can be expensive if you let it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wow, Wag, you've been in 24 weddings???  It's no wonder with that enormous family of yours!! 

I've been in 7 weddings, I think.  None have been family.  All except one I still am very close with - they are my best girlfriends.  4 of the 7 are all close friends, so most of us were in each other's weddings.  Only 1 was from college.  And, actually, several of them have been since I've been in my 30's.  My friends didn't marry particularly early.

I was the last in the group and rather than have a bridal party of 10, I just had my 2 cousins and my SIL.  I hope my friends weren't too disappointed... But honestly, now that many of them have children, they were probably relieved to not have the cost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've only been in my aunts' weddings. I was the first of my group of friends to get married. Those that have gotten married since have had only one attendant, usually their best friend.
    I do have 4 weddings to go to this year. Only one of them is there a chance I might be a BM, but DH is looking at two turns as a groomsman.

Hopefully, my best friend will be getting engaged soon. She was my MOH and was awesome, so I can't wait to return the favor when the time comes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: BM dress prices:
    [QUOTE]Interesting observation, Cosmo!  I kind of wonder that myself sometimes and I thought I was a freak because up until about a year ago, I had never been a BM!  Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

You're not a freak.  I'll be 30 next month and I have never been a BM.  The few close girlfriends of mine who have gotten married didn't have bridal parties.    However, I do have 3 sisters so I won't be able to escape it forever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

To return to the OP's question - I paid $125 for my wedding dress.  So yes, $255 for a BM dress is too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

[QUOTE]To return to the OP's question - I paid $125 for my wedding dress.  So yes, $255 for a BM dress is too much.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a fair comparison unless you describe the type of dress you had, and how you aquired it (ie making it yourself, thrift store, clearance?)  All are legit and great ways to find a fabulous dress but I feel that all the info is needed if you want to say that you only paid 125 for your dress.

I think it is wise to keep it around $150 under is always better.  I cannot imagine being told I needed to get a mani, pedi, makeup or specifc hair do for a wedding.  Fortunately my family and friends, just pick a shoe and a dress and the rest is up to us, they knew we could all make ourselves presentable and appropriately styled for the occasion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

For a wedding I am in this upcoming summer, I spent $110 on my BM dress, $40 on my shoes (got them on sale at Macy's!).

I wouldn't be happy if I had to pay $255 for a dress, I would actually be kind of p*ssed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I've been in two weddings, but only one was by choice :) Both were family: one cousin when I was 15 (they said they had an "extra dress by mistake" and that it would "probably fit you, so you may as well be in the wedding." The other was my other cousin when I was 20. 

I was almost in a wedding for a girl I knew from college, but complications arose, she postponed/canceled it, and then they got married a year later. Long story. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

I think this is something that totally depends upon your bridal party and what they can afford.  I wouldn't mind spending that much if the dress was truly something that I could wear again.  I usually buy a new dress when I go to a wedding anyway and on average they are probably around that price so it wouldn't make too much of a difference to me.

I have only been in my best friend's wedding as her MOH.  Several of my friends who have gotten married have had small wedding parties with just family. 

Reading about some of this makes me soooooo happy that we chose to just have one person each.  My sister will be my MOH and thats it.  I really just wanted everyone to come to our wedding and have fun and not worry about this other stuff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

That's how I felt, too, Summer2010!  I always had fun being a bridesmaid in other weddings, but the dress buying was always full of anxiety for me (I am, shall we say, busty).  I am only having a MOH for my wedding in June. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

There are only two...maybe three friends I would ask to be in my wedding. I don't want any more than 4, but would like to keep it at 3, if I can. Depends on if I decide to have my boyfriends sister in it.

If I had all the girls in it who I consider friends, it would be too big, and not everyone knows each other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

[QUOTE]There are only two...maybe three friends I would ask to be in my wedding. I don't want any more than 4, but would like to keep it at 3, if I can. Depends on if I decide to have my boyfriends sister in it. If I had all the girls in it who I consider friends, it would be too big, and not everyone knows each other.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

The upside of being 38 (actually, 39 by the time we get married) is that I am so over the need to have ten girls in my bridal party.  Who has time for that?!?!  LOL!  It helps that all of our friends are in their 30's now too, with families and committments of their own.  They'd prefer NOT to be involved, and I don't blame them one bit!

My fiance has two best men - his brother and his lifelong best friend.  I currently have one maid of honor.  I'm pretty sure that's the extent of it.  Once you add in three sets of parents (his are divorced and remarried), that's plenty of people involved!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Rapunzel, that's so true!   No one over 29 looks good in bridesmaid dresses anyway!!! 

(Although my 52yo MOH bought her dress in the prom dept. at David's Bridal because they were more sparkly than the bm dresses!!) 

Nothing says "I love you" more than letting your friends just be guests and enjoy themselves! 

But I am available for invitation addressing and jordan almond wrapping if you need a posse!!  So excited for you! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, Rap, I don't understand the horror that goes along with aging.  I LOVE it!  Life is so much easier (in a personal, inner self way) the older I get.

I can identify with your whole post!  I had 3 sets of parents at the wedding, too.  Happily, the divorces were LONG ago and everyone has moved far past all the ugliness.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

[QUOTE]Rapunzel, that's so true!   No one over 29 looks good in bridesmaid dresses anyway!!!  (Although my 52yo MOH bought her dress in the prom dept. at David's Bridal because they were more sparkly than the bm dresses!!)  Nothing says "I love you" more than letting your friends just be guests and enjoy themselves!  But I am available for invitation addressing and jordan almond wrapping if you need a posse!!  So excited for you! 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

I've got plenty of posse, possibly because they're happy to NOT be in the wedding party!  LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

[QUOTE]Mm, Rap, I don't understand the horror that goes along with aging.  I LOVE it!  Life is so much easier (in a personal, inner self way) the older I get. I can identify with your whole post!  I had 3 sets of parents at the wedding, too.  Happily, the divorces were LONG ago and everyone has moved far past all the ugliness.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, same with these families.  No worries on that front!  In fact, it'll be the first time some of G's family has met the others!  It's so weird to me that he has siblings that have never met each other!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I don't know that having large bridal parties is age-related. Of the six weddings we've had this year, the bride with the most BMs had four (all the brides were between 24 and 28). I just had an MOH and one BM. 

It is sooo much easier having a small bridal party, financially, organizationally, and headache-ally. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't think it's necessarily that a younger bride wants a bigger bridal party, but that a younger bride might have more younger friends and family members who want to be in a bridal party. Either because she's the first one to marry, or she was in their wedding party and feels she has to reciprocate.
    I only wanted one attendent, but DH couldn't bear to choose among his friends, so I ended up with four. I didn't want it to look like he had 4 people up there for him and I could only muster one, that was too lopsided for me.
    If my family had their way I would have had 3 junior bridesmaids as well, but I put my foot down on that one, much to the disappointment of my aunt and little cousins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think there are a lot of factors that go into younger bride = more BMs.  As others have pointed out, when you're the first to get married, your friends actually want to be in the wedding!  Plus if you have 4 close friends from high school or college, you feel like you can't pick only 1 or 2 of them... but if you're a bit older and have maybe grown apart a little, only asking 1 doesn't seem so bad.  Anyway, I did have 5, but 3 of them were sisters.  My maniac husband had 9 groomsmen!

For some reason this reminds me...  When my sister's close friend got married at ~25, she didn't ask my sister to be in the wedding.  Only had her sisters and his, I believe.  When she got married a second time at ~34, my sister was the MOH.  Things really change when you get older and don't let your family or anyone pressure you into choosing the bridal party!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

$200 is too much. see if netbride.com or pearls place online has it for less maybe