BM dress sizing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

BM dress sizing

Hi!

I remember seeing something on these boards once about a bridesmaid dress company whose dresses are actually smaller than their size suggests. (For example, if you're usually a 6 you should order an 8 or 10) Does anyone remember which designer did this? Was it Jim Hjelm?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: BM dress sizing

Isn't that usually all BM dresses? I was asked to be in a wedding this upcoming summer (my first time being a bm!) And the bride had us get Alfred Angelos. I am a street size 8, but had to order a 12 in the dress. Although the woman who worked at the store said I could order a 10, but might want to order a 12. Better it be a little loser than god forbid, too tight. I will probably have to get it sized down.

Anyway, I just always thought any bridal wear (wedding gowns or bm dresses) ran a little small.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Yeah, I think that's pretty much all BM dresses, and definitely wedding dresses. A street size 6 might be a 10 in bridal, for some ridiculous reason. 

Just have the BMs try everything on or at least get measured. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

That's b/c dress shop dresses still use the real dress sizes.  "Street sized" clothing changed their numbers a several years ago to cater to women's vanity.  This is why sizes 1, 0 and 00 were invented. 

If you buy nicer winter coats, you'll notice the same thing.  If you are a street size 6, you generally need a 10 or 12 coat. 

WP is right.  Have the shop measure the BMs and then determine, based on the dress maker's size chart, what size they need to order.  Go by the largest measurement [usually the hips] and have the rest taken in.  Good luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I run into this issue when buying vintage clothes. you have to rely entirely on measurements, not "size".

In Response to Re: BM dress sizing:
    That's b/c dress shop dresses still use the real dress sizes.  "Street sized" clothing changed their numbers a several years ago to cater to women's vanity.  This is why sizes 1, 0 and 00 were invented.  If you buy nicer winter coats, you'll notice the same thing.  If you are a street size 6, you generally need a 10 or 12 coat.  WP is right.  Have the shop measure the BMs and then determine, based on the dress maker's size chart, what size they need to order.  Go by the largest measurement [usually the hips] and have the rest taken in.  Good luck.
    Posted by ALF72

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Even if they try them on you should still go by measurements.  One of My BMs ordered the size she tried on and when it came in it was too small.  The saleslady explained this is because the sample has been stretched out due to the number of times it was tried on.  Information that would have been useful before she ordered the dress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Great! Thanks everyone.

Sections
Shortcuts