Bridesmaid Dress Cost

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I agree - under $200 is reasonable. Of course if you and your friends can afford more than that, that's fine too. You could always ask them what they think is reasonable. After having been in two weddings, I knew it was possible to find a great BM dress for under $200. Jasmine B2 has a lot of great dresses that I liked for around $150-175.

I ended up going with a BM dress at David's Bridal because I loved the color. I think the price was around $130, but by pure coincidence it went on sale and the girls paid $79.99!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

Now that I (finally) found my dress, I can start to think a bit more about the dresses for my girls. I think that some of the dresses are a bit expensive, but I'm not sure what the average bridesmaid spends on a dress, or on a total "outfit."
    I am the first of all my friends to get married, so this is new to most of us. Also, I would love to help them with the cost, but FI and I are paying for the wedding on our own and really can't afford to.
    What did you have your BM spend??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

[Quote]My bridesmaids are wearing dresses from JCrew that cost $165 and $180. They come in petite, so they won't need to be hemmed, plus you can wear a regular bra with them.[/Quote]

A regular bra is a big deal, actually - it costs a lot to get a decent, well-fitting strapless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

My MOH's was $100. I didn't pay for it, but my gift to her was the jewelry she wore for the wedding that she definitely could dress up in again (pearl set from www.bluenile.com).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

Mine were about 120, they wore their own shoes (if they got new ones then that was their choice but they all had silver sandels).

Options you could look at for your dresses to keep the costs down...Jcrew dresses, Overstock, and other department stores really. You could have them all in the same dress or give them a color and ask that they all get the same color. If you go with just saying get a dress in Periwinkle be sure to give them a paint chip of the color because some periwinkles are more blue and some more purple and this way you can be confident that the ladies will all look complementary to each other.

My ladies wore Alfred Angelo dresses and they had some really reasonable suggested retail price ranges (it depends on the actual dress shop on how much they actually charge),

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

The ones I chose were $80 on sale at Ann Taylor for cocktail length strapless navy silk dresses. Silver shoes were $55. That's all they have to buy. I got them all jewelry (freshwater pearl earrings & necklace) as a gift.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from galire87. Show galire87's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

Having been a bridesmaid 5 times in the last 2 years, I am happy if dresses are under $200. To echo what framerican said, last wedding I was in (Oct '08) the dresses were originally $165 at David's but then went on sale for $99.00 - boy was I ever psyched as I got laid off 2 weeks later. But yeah, generally under $200 is reasonable & at David's they tend to usually be in the $150-range.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I got mine from Nordstroms. They ordered them on-line and they were $98. Nice dresses that can really be worn again (strapless, aline & tea lenght). While the fabric didn't feel as heavy as the ones from ann taylor..but it looks good and for that price nobody complained(esp. since its a summer wedding)...in fact they were all very excited.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I let my girls choose their dress & I think I was more worried about cost than they were. They decided on one that was $145 at David's & were fine with that.
    When we went to order them, we noticed that they were low back & bras would show. I found this from maidenform that will drop the back of any bra by an inch or two. I bought one & tried it out first - it worked & it wasn't uncomfortable, still got the support & lift from the bra.
    For $6 at the Wrentham outlet I picked them up for all the girls so they don't have to go buy anything special to wear with the dress. On-line there's a coupon if you spend more than $50 in-store :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

Typically BM dresses cost anywhere from 150-200 and up. After being in weddings and spending over 200 on the dress and giving it to goodwill afterwards, I decided to buy my girls' dresses for them. I found mine at Target and they were just what I wanted, came in in better quality than I ever had thought! They just got some new dresses in that look like some of the the j.crew dresses. I am having an outdoor wedding so I do not need very "dressy" dresses, but they still look nice. As a prior BM I think anything under 200 is reasonable. Rarely are they going to wear the dress again, unless it is black, or really not a BM looking dress.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I think under $200. for the dress itself would be reasonable. The less expensive, the better.

Remember, alterations (that can cost a fortune in itself), accessories, hosiery, bra, underwear and shoes also need to be added to the cost of the dress.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

My bridesmaids are wearing dresses from JCrew that cost $165 and $180. They come in petite, so they won't need to be hemmed, plus you can wear a regular bra with them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

so true! especially if you're well-endowed.

[Quote]

A regular bra is a big deal, actually - it costs a lot to get a decent, well-fitting strapless.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

Try to keep the price as low as possible. You as the bride may find a dress you love and want your girls to wear, but fact is, they may not love it, they may need lots of alterations, they most likely won't be able to wear it again, it may be uncomfortable (anyone have a satin bridesmaid dress that when altered was so tight you couldnt take deep full breaths, but if you didnt have it altered like that it would be too loose?) I would let your maids pick the dress. give them the color you want and tell them you will go dress shopping at a bridal place together and either all pick the same one or different ones in the same color, whatever you want to do.

But the lower the cost, the better. You can get decent ones from Ann Taylor and J Crew (on sale) for about $100 and same as Davids

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I chose a color, gave each of my girls a swatch, and let them pick their own dress. That way, each only spent what they felt they could afford.
    Two chose the same dress from David's for $150. My mom bought my step sister's dress for $99 at Cache and my SIL got her dress for $80 at a boutique in Florida.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LtoRsoon. Show LtoRsoon's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I was really concerned about the price of the Bridesmaid's dresses. I had been in a wedding where after alterations everything was over $350 and i didn't want that to happen to my girls. I went to the dress shop that I got my dress off and picked out a dress, they gave every girl a discount right off the top (because I had gotten my dress there). Maybe where you got your gown does the same thing? The dresses my girls got ended up being $130 and only 2 out of 6 needed alterations.

I would have looked at J Crew or Ann Taylor, but thier sizes only go up so far and I had a few girls that wouldn't fit into thier largest sizes, just something to keep in mind when looking there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS.

My girls keep telling me not to worry, but in this economy - it's hard not to.
    I know that when you factor in all the other costs (as someone else mentioned) it really adds up and that is not what I want at all.
    I do know that they are having the shower at my future mother-in-law's house and they are saving a lot there.
    Also they can wear whatever jewlery they want - I am taking care of hair and shoes.
    My dresses are going to be cocktail length and charcoal gray. Also, this may seem silly, but I really want them to have pockets! The ones I have found are $220-260, but the place where I bought my dress will give 15% off. Also, I think this is a color and style that they can wear again - and like.
    I am trying to believe that this is fair and from what I have read, it is.
    :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I have had the worst time w/strapless bras...is well endowed and found strapless bras to slide down..especially if it dosen't fit right

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I'm only having a MOH and I'm paying for her dress. We've ordered 2 so far to try. (One from Nordstrom at $86 and one from L&T for $175)...however, I am letting her wear her own shoes and jewelry.

The only wedding I've been in my dress was $300 including alterations plus $50 for shoes. We also had to pay for our hair to get done...so it added up quickly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CityGirl07. Show CityGirl07's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

Yikes, $500! I would've politely excused myself! :)

My girls dresses were around $225 and I felt really bad about it. However, my mom was paying for 2 of them and she was fine with that price, and my FMIL was paying for 1 and she was also fine with it. The 4th girl paid for her own but I spent more than that on a dress for her wedding a few months earlier. Not saying I did that on purpose, but just that this girl obviously thought this was an okay price. However, I did give them a choice and all agreed on this one and said they will wear it again. One of my sisters and a friend have already worn it again....they were super cute and I wanted one for myself! They were Melissa Sweet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

[Quote]

Ha! I have at least two! (I was really mad at the first seamstress because I was really hoping to be able to cut that one down to wear again.) Glad I'm not the only one![/Quote]

I'm so glad I didn't pick satin for me or the girls! :-)

My BM dresses were $165/each but since I got my dress at DB and that's where the BM dresses are from they each got $20 off. Everyone seemed pleased with a little discount and I felt better that at least I could save them something. The Junior BM and flower girl got discounts also (I know I could have looked elsewhere for a FG dress but this one stop shopping thing is soooo nice especially with everyone in different states).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from missmaria. Show missmaria's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

We used Davids Bridal. All I wanted them to be was black, simple, and more like a coaktail dress. So they picked out what they wanted. The dresses costed $110.00... thankfully no one needed adjustments. The dresses were black, so they could have used whatever shoes they had already. But they choose to buy new ones that were similar. I bought their jewerly and paid for their make-up to be done. If I was going to be picky about things, I new I would feel better paying for it. I didn't care what they did with their hair. As for under garments... pantyhouse, spanks, etc. That was up to them if thery wanted to wear them or not... I didn't care.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

[Quote]I love that BM dresses are coming with pockets now! Two girls picked this dress for the wedding I'm in this summer: (After Six Style 6553 if the link doesn't work.) I know they were less than $200. Let us know what you pick!

http://tinyurl.com/cv52km
    [/Quote]

Friar, I love that dress!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

If anyone's looking for black bridesmaid dresses, there are these budget friendly options:
    Dress

Dress2

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Cost

I've been in 3 weddings. Including shoes and alterations, they've ranged from $150 to $500. And never wore any of them again.

For my girls, not that I'm expecting them to ever wear it again, but I want them to at least like the style they're spending $ on. Their dresses are $225, and they could pick any style they wanted from Aria. AND I picked a color that is something that would look good cut down as a cocktail dress if they wanted to do that.

The dress is just the beginning though..I'm paying for hair and makeup for everyone day of, letting them pick whatever silver sandals they want to wear, and not worrying about matching jewelry.