Bridesmaid Dress Dilemna

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Dilemna

I went bridemaid dress shopping yesterday kind of last minute with my mom, sister, and one bridesmaid. Due to scheduling and locations, I do not think it would be easy to get everyone together.

I found a dress I really like and I think it would be flattering to all girls. I found it for 175.00 after the sale. I am really concerned about the price, because I was hoping to find something I loved for a lot cheaper. I called about 15 more shops and I bartered one shop down to 170.00 if we get all dresses there. This is the lowest I can find the dress. Is that too much for a bridesmaid dress??

I have been in two weddings. One dress I paid 130.00 for, plus alterations, and the other one I paid 158.00.

Thanks!!!! I have been thinking about this a lot since yesterday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Dilemna

You know your bridesmaid best...but for my group of friends that would be on the high end of what we would ask each other to pay for a dress.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I've definitely paid more for a bridesmaid dress, but I would agree that $175 is on the high side. I wouldn't mind if I could maybe wear it again, but if it's not the type of dress I could wear again, then I would probably grumble about it (but not to you, of course).

Now that you know what you're looking for, could you maybe find a similar style for cheaper? Also, would the place you bought your dress be willing to take a 10% for outfitting the whole bridal party?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I agree with Friargirl - maybe look a bit more and find something similar for less?  Like Sunshine said, it does depend on the wallets of your bridesmaids, but $175 would pain me.  Especially because your girls might be throwing you a shower and footing the bill, might have to get shoes, etc. 

Can you post a picture or link to the dress?  Maybe some people here have seen something similar and could share resources.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

As a bridesmaid, I would hope to pay $150 or less for a dress.  That's what I paid for a recent wedding and I had to have it hemmed and taken in a little, cost me $55 for alterations.  If you really like it though, I would talk to your BMs and find out if it is too much.  If you still want it, maybe you could offer to put in the $20 difference or something to help them out.

Out of curiosity, can you post a link to the dress?  I'm dying to see it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's expensive, but not unusual or outlandish of you to consider.  It's outlandish that that's the going rate for BM's dresses, but that's not your fault.

If you feel $150 should be the limit for your girls but you want these dresses, kick in $50 per girl as their BM gift.

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I agree with all above.  Have you tried contacting RK Bridal, Lee Philips Bridal, or Pearl's Place?  I've heard of people getting substantial discounts on bridesmaid dresses through these online vendors.  Google them, and check out the BBB, but from what I've heard they have good reputations.  No personal experience to report though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I've paid over $200 before and most under $150 however with alterations was close to $200 or more anyway.  Personally I looked for under $150 without alterations but would have been satisfied under $175 for the girls, but 2 were with me and I let them tell me which they liked best and I picked from those with their inputs.. after all it is them wearing them too.  I think as a bridesmaid I would have been satisfied knowing it was under $175 too if alterations were minimal (example - hem).  I'm glad that I found one for our wedding that was $130.. and then they get $10 off cuz I'm renting tuxes there and my dress there too so it's only $120 for all plus alterations.  overall a good deal.. and we didn't look at price while trying on.  I lucked out!  To me, if you absolutely love it, then go with it..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree with others. $175 is more than I would want to spend, but definitely not outlandish.  I just spent $158 ish for a dress from David's Bridal and they are supposedly cheap, so $175 isn't ridiculous in my opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I don't think $170 is too bad as long as alterations won't be too costly. Some bridal places will give free alterations if you order all your dresses there - so maybe look around a little more. Even if you find them for $185 with free alterations, they would be better off.

My friend had us get these really pretty bridesmaid dresses that had multi layers and cost $$$ just for the hem. Even though the dress was not too expensive, it ended up costing a TON of money for something that could only be worn once.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

$175 would be out of my price range...especially with alterations, shoes, jewelry, hair & makeup, etc. Can you post a link?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Definitely look into Lee Philip Bridal, the on-line store.  All the bridesmaids went to stores and were sized for the dress my daughter picked (dessy-after six).  It  was $230 in the store, but got the dress for $147 through Lee Philip.  They came in early and were in perfect condition.  Stacy (the owner) is great to work with. Stacy matched the price of the dress that was on-line through www.bridesmaids.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

you can also pick a color and then have your girls choose their own dresses. I'm far more likely to not care about spending a little more on a dress I picked out myself over a dress someone picked out for me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

Thanks everyone. It is definitely good feedback. Here is a link to the dress I like. http://www.jasminebridal.com/J_2_1_1_1.aspx?sqno=JPN2008092510662&j_style_no=STYL20080821001&j_line_no=LINE20080821001&j_line_season=S

make sure you are looking at 2050 style.

The comments are great. I have been very budget conscious throughout the entire planning process, so that is why I am struggling with the cost of their dress as well. I have called many shops. One shop, I have now gotten it down to 170.00. I did just check out the Lee Philips. I have never heard of that before. Thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Very nice dress!  This is one of those that I could imagine myself wearing again - I think that $170 for it would be reasonable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

GK - I know a woman who works with Jasmine dresses and can get them at a discount.  She owns a business called Bridal Reflections and works out of her home.  The dresses take a bit longer to come in (i think 8 weeks?) but they are about 20% cheaper, if I remember correctly.  I ordered all of my bridesmaid dresses with her and my mom got her dress through her.  I've had friends who also got their BM dresses through her.  Here's some Yelp info http://www.yelp.com/biz/bridal-reflections-watertown

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

love the dress!  my ladies' dresses were very similar.  (knee length, A line, silk chiffon with a bowed sash in the back, strapless...)  I'm partial to the style. :)  It's very flattering too.

We got them in navy blue for $80 at Ann Taylor on sale. They don't sell the exact dress anymore, but it's a classic style and depending on the color you are looking for, it may be worth looking around for similar dresses elsewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I don't know if they have that particular dress but you might want to try to look online at www.houseofbrides.com.

It's been 3 years since I was married but I remeber a lot of ladies on this board recommended this site.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Like the dress GK!  What color?

I looked at Jasmine dresses at Bridals by Valerie in Reading, MA and another shop in Stoneham, MA.  I can't remember, but I think Valerie was slightly cheaper (like $5).  Both places offered a discount if you ordered more than one dress - I think Valerie's was 15% off each dress even if you only ordered two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I always think the bridesmaids' dresses should be as cheap as possible.  I think $175 is kind of high for a one-time outfit.  I just looked at David's Bridal and there are a ton of short strapless dresses in various fabrics.  There seemed to be a good selection on sale for $79.99.

I think the one you chose is very pretty, but truly, no one will notice one short, strapless dress versus another, so why not go for the price point. 

I also checked out JCrew and AnnTaylor very quickly; their prices were $150 and up. 

Have fun!  Remember, always let the most hard-to-fit bridesmaid choose the dress!  LOL. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Love the dress!  Actually, it's what I chose for my BMs to wear back in 2007, but in Easter purple.  That is not expensive for a BM dress IMO.  I know people don't want to hear this, but you actually can wear that dress again.  My MOH has worn it at least 1x since.  And I want to grab one of my sister's BM dresses before I move in 2 weeks so that I can make alterations to it so that it fits me.  ;-) 

I have never had a BM dress that didn't cost at least $150 before alterations.

ETA: the shop in Stoneham Fra is trying to think of is Gianna's Bridals. It's where we ordered the BM dresses for my wedding. 

Also, I went to the shop reviewed on yelp that heather posted.  It's in Watertown. That place was beyond scary. I would not trust that woman w/ my business. She did offer to get the dresses at less than we paid in Stoneham, but my MOH and I were both skeeved out by the 'bridal shop' in this woman's home. 
    ETA: the woman was very nice, but seemed to have forgotten we were coming [we had made the arrangements less than 3 days before the scheduled appt b/c my MOH was coming up from RI] and the room we were trying on the dresses in was less than clean.  She did carry the Jasmine B2 line though and did have the best price. I just wasn't overly impressed w/ the whole experience.  I decided it was better to pay more for the dresses and  get them in an actual store, and one that had been around for a while.  FWIW, the BM dresses were a gift to my BMs, so finding the lowest price to spare the BMs wallets wasn't a major objective w/ me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Cosmo has a good idea of checking out David's Bridal--sales for $80 or less. Honestly, even if I were buying a non-bridesmaid dress, something to wear to for a wedding or other occasion, $175 would be too high.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I looked on House of Brides and they don't have your model.  But, I googled Jasmine b2050 and found it at another online retailer for $109.  Maybe worth a phone call?  Here: http://www.foryoudresses.com/products/758138.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbsbride1109. Show nbsbride1109's posts

All my bridesmaids got their dresses through Bridal Reflections, the woman's name is Anita and she is in Watertown. It is in her house, and I can understand how that would put people off. But she was beyond easy to work with, had an amazing selection and I didnt find anything skeevy about it. She has tons of choices, and I'm pretty positive she carried the designer you are looking for. And the discount was great, all the girls got at least 20% off, the dresses came in great condition, on time and I couldn't have been happier with the experience. It might be worth checking into.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I'm in the same boat as whirled peas..$175. would be and is out of my price range. the dresses always need to be altered, and include for shoes,  jewelry, hair, makeup, any special underwear, etc. 

especially where the economy is as bad as it is..think of the fact too that one of your attendants may be employed today, unemployed tommorrow, and its a real difficult job market...everyones wallet is stretched so thin...