bridesmaid dress situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

I cannot wait "a few months". I have to order the dresses by May 1 for them to come in in August, which gives them September to get the dress altered.

May 1 is the absolute last day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I would wait to order her dress. I think that's your best option. I doubt there could be a noticable color variation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

If she's going to be about 5-6 months pg, what if you have her order the dress a couple of sizes bigger and just alter it to fit her at that time?

It stinks that it will cost more, but this is what we did with my sister. She had just had her baby before I got married, so she ordered bigger to be on the safe side and got it taken in.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

hmmm.... so you have to order by May 1st, there's no way your friend will know what size she'll be in October by then.

Is there any way you can get a swatch of dress fabric in your color so your friend can buy something off the rack in September and have it altered?
    My bridesmaid's dresses came from different stores, but they were all the same color.

How many bridesmaids do you have? If you have three, it won't look strange to have one wearing a different color. If you have 4 or more, ask your other bridesmaids if one of them would be willing to wait and go dress shopping with your preggers bridesmaid, so that two will wear one color and the other two will wear another.

Just throwing ideas out there...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

I'm going to let her decide what she wants to do by May 1.

Option 1: Get dress a few sizes bigger and alter down.
    Option 2: Get a different style dress (a two piece so maybe easier to alter)
    Option 3: Order a few months later from different dye lot,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

This past weekend I ordered my bridesmaid dresses for my girls and put down a deposit to offset the cost of the dresses. I sent out the email to my girls about the dresses this morning and told them if they had any comments, questions, concerns to get back to me.

My BEST friend..love love love her..has been trying for almost a year to have baby #2. She is trying three more rounds of fertinitly/IUIs. So, she'll probably be maybe 5-6 pregnant by the time of the wedding.

I immediately called the store for options. The girl at the store told me that she doesn't think the dress I chose will look good on someone who's pregnant. I was like "WHOA. Pump the brakes. I never would have picked this dress if I didn't think it would look good on my girls pregnant or not pregnant." It is a trumpet style, but the entire dress is ruching, which would be very flattering on anyone. Not to mention she is so so so tiny and was the most amazing looking pregnant woman ever.

the girl asked me "how much do you want her in your bridal party?" I was like NOT AN OPTION. How long can we wait to order the dresses...should I just get her a different style dress? I want her to be comfortable, but how can I order her a dress that can be better for maternity when she's not pregnant yet? I'd rather be safe than sorry. Ultimately it will be her decision which dress she wants to go with...

also, the girl in the store said we could always wait to order her dress but it would be from a different dye lot and slight variation on the color.

What do you all think?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Shut up! A sales person actually asked you how badly you wanted someone in your bridal party??? So inappropriate.

I would say leave it up to your BM to decide if she's comfortable in it while she's prego, and definitely wait a few months if you can to order it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I think that I would like to know which store has such an unprofessional sales staff....

As to the dress itself, I'm going to defer to your judgment that it'll look good on her pregnant or not, but... I might wait to order it for a couple of months. Can you wait to order all the dresses so they'll be from the same lot? Or do you have the option of putting her in a completely different color (so the dye lots don't matter)? Can you post a link to a picture? That could help.

Not to jinx your friend, but the fact that she was tiny the first time doesn't necessarily mean she'll stay that way. I know quite a few women who have put on more weight with the second baby.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

October, I just want you to know I do hope and pray that your BF get pregnant. I have been there. But right now it should not be something for YOU to worry about. Plan everything as if she is not -- and then worry about it later. May never happen in your time frame.
    Wish you both luck - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

is this girl your moh? if so, it wouldnt look bad if she was the only one wearing a different dress

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]I'm going to let her decide what she wants to do by May 1.

Option 1: Get dress a few sizes bigger and alter down.
    Option 3: Order a few months later from different dye lot,[/Quote]

I think that's your best bet - and she'll appreciate the options I'm sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

what a b**ch...asking how badly you want her in your wedding. i'd have been like "duhhhhhhh! i wouldn't have asked her, if I didn't want her beside me on my wedding day!!"

i wouldn't count on her being pregnant when you get married, but you never know. I think you were smart to call and ask for options. I would more than likely discuss it w/your friend, and see how she feels about the situation, and go from there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's a nice idea, but if you go with that, how about choosing different styles for all the girls - same color/dress manufacturer. If you single her out and she doesn't become pregnant, how terrible for her to have the reminder...and how even more awful for her to have to explain to innocent inquirers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Perhaps she could wear a different dress. As long as the color is the same. I don't know, just a thought. Might be easier and more comfortable for her in case she does become pregnant by that time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with Fram - do not worry about the dye lot. I'm a crocheter, and I've only had one issue with buying yarn from a different lot, and you had to tip it in the light just right to notice. With most fabric, even if there is no difference whatsoever between the dresses, the way and where the girl is standing will make her dress look a teeny bit different than the dresses next to her. So, even if there is a slight color difference no one would assume it's actually different. Dye lots are very, very similar if not 100% exact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    [/Quote]

You could have all of your bridesmaids wear empire waists, which make everyone look pregnant, anyway (unless you are extremely tiny to start with). :)

Pingo's right, though - the fact that she's trying right now doesn't absolutely mean she'll be 5-6 months along in October.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Very good point, Kargiver. I guess, try and ask the store if she can exchange the dress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Do you have a picture od the dress? I am picturing the rouche style dress to be very fitted, which would in fact be very unflattering on a pregnant woman. I'm asking if you can post a link to the dress because this is all I can picture...

I would choose a simple empire waist dress for all of your bms, or just for her. problem solved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi october,
    Why try to worry about something that may not even happen. Who says your BF will indeed become pregnant - nature does not always work the way we want it to.
    One of your other BM may become pregnant w/o expecting it - what are you going to do then?
    I would just order all the dresses. If your BF is only 3 - 4 months pregnant she may not even show that much and most dresses hae enough fabric to be altered for her. If that is not possible - get her a different dress in a variation of the color you have chosen - and let her stand out and show off her beautiful tummy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to be a downer for your friend's success, but I think her being 5 - 6 months pregnant by then is a scenario that I wouldn't count on. I'd say order the dress as late as you can and, as others have said, maybe a size too big at that point wouldn't hurt; it can be altered, and usually people aren't HUGE by 5 or even 6 months.

And, as for the store staff, oh my goodness, how unprofessional is THAT?! So sorry you had to take her uncalled for comments.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not so sure about the whole situation, but I wouldn't worry too much about the dye lot. If you ask me, 9 times out of 10 that turns out to be no problem. Each of my girls ordered her own dress separately.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

[Quote]

Wouldn't people just think it was because she's MOH? Or, at least, couldn't she say that?

I am with Missy, though - it would help to see the dress.[/Quote]

No she would not say she is the MOH.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, she's the MOH - sorry I missed that. Yes, of course, that could be the reason for the different style dress.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Then it might just be a situation that you'll deal with when the time comes closer. I really don't think that style would look nice and comfortable on a pregnant woman. It looks rather tight around the mid section.

What are you going to do if she ends up getting pregnant, and doesn't want to wear it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Sorry. For some reason, I had it in my head that she was MOH. In that case, Kar is right - it could be a little uncomfortable if she is not visibly pregnant, yet the only one with a different dress.

Either way, the dress you picked is gorgeous. I hope it works out for you.

ETA: I, personally, know that it would be weird for me if I asked a bridesmaid why her dress was different and she said she and her husband were "trying" - especially if I didn't know her very well. The whole idea really squicks me out.