Bridesmaid Dress Sizing Issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Bridesmaid Dress Sizing Issues

Hi ladies,

I'm hoping you can give me suggestions on how best to proceed.  I have four bridesmaids who are wearing a Bill Levkoff dress.  We ordered the dresses in February for my early October wedding.  We went to the dress shop and had the owner measure 3 out of the 4 girls.  The 4th lives out of state.  The owner did their measurements and suggested to each girl two different sizes to order.  In every case, the BMs chose the larger dress size to be sure, despite the owner fussing that they would come in too big.  We actually joked because in our previous experiences dress shops always wanted you to order the larger size because it would then mean more alterations and more $$ for them.

The dresses arrived in June and despite the owner saying she would call me to inform me, she didn't and I had to call and sure enough they had come in.  Because of vacations, etc, my last BM picked her dress up earlier this week.  Lo and behold, all four dresses are too small.  Two are small but doable.  One, my 17 year old MOH, is nowhere near close to zipping up.  My mom went with her to pick up the dress and made her try it on.  The owner told my mom that my 17 yr old cousin should go on a diet.  yeah, she's not fat...and she's 17, way to ruin her self-esteem!  The dress size she ordered happened to be the sample size that was in the store.  She tried the sample on and that fit.  Of course samples can stretch, but it was 4 inches smaller than the dress that arrived for her.  That seems to be a lot of stretching.  They called the factory and are shipping the dress back to see if it perhaps is a factor error. 

After hearing about this from my mom, I called the shop myself to find out what was going on.  I was very calm and polite and just wanted to know what exactly was happening.  My wedding is in October and I want to make sure there is a dress.  The owner was extremely rude and then proceeded to call my mom and tell her that she needed to calm me down.  I wasn't upset...never raised my voice...she was the one screaming at me!

After talking to my other BMs, I learned about their dresses.  My concern now is that perhaps the owner either measured them incorrectly or was looking at the wrong sizing chart.  I've researched online and it appears that Bill Levkoffs are known to run bigger than their sizing charts appear.  So, why would all 4 arrive smaller, even when they ordered the larger size?

Do I have any options here?  I don't think I do given that my wedding is Oct 3rd.  I just feel horrible that my BMs are now put in the position to have to get dresses taken out.  My MOH is so upset.  She's my younger cousin and is like the younger sister I never had.  She has been so excited about this and it kills me to think how this woman treated her. 

Ok, this is long, I'll stop writing now!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Sizing Issues

Colby, what shop is this? These people clearly have no customer service skills telling one of their customers to go on a DIET? How beyond rude. I've never been a bride, so I can't exactly give you advice there, but I would warn others against this shop, if you don't mind posting the name. It really helps future brides to know where not to shop :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Hi Peonie,

To be honest, I'm kind of worried about posting the name of the shop since I don't actually have the dress now.  I posted earlier this winter about a vendor I was having troubles with and the guy emailed me a rather nasty email to the point I considered it harrassment.  He saw my post here and clearly was not happy...needless to say, I didn't book them.  I will happily tell the name of the shop, but would rather wait until I get my MOH's dress in my hands.

I also forgot to add that my mom went to pick up one of my BMs shoes today as she was having them dyed at the same shop (my shower is Sat and my mom who lives nearby was helping my BM who lives south of Boston.)  The shoes were at the owner's house, on her dining room table supposedly, and she told my mom she should have called before coming.  She didn't see why we needed them so early since the wedding was in October  (umm, alterations for the dresses that don't fit!)  I can't figure out why my BMs shoes, which she has paid for fully, were at this woman's house!  I just want to be done with this place!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

oh my god--this sounds like a total nightmare! 

Short of coming up with a solution with this (incompetent) dress shop, I would say your next best solution would be to call your credit card company and request a refund for a product that was not delivered as promised.  (At least, my AmEx card offers this type of protection; I have used it before.)  Of course, then you are back to square one, and will probably need to choose off-the-rack bridesmaid dresses. 

Anyway, I hope the dresses either can be altered or exchanged, but if not, I guess that would be the back-up?

The only other option I can think of is to contact Bill Levkoff (if you can even find contact info), and let them know what a terrible experience you are having with their "authorized dealer". 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

No problem Colby,

P.S. I think it is really skeevy when vendors troll these forums looking for bad reviews about them. Just saying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Hi ladies,

Jasmine, I have thought of contacting the cc companies.  But each girl would need to do that, as they each paid separately.  I will be honest and say that I LOVE these dresses and really hope they can be used.  I think with two of them it won't be an issue.  One I am unsure of right now, and then my MOH is supposedly en route to Bill Levkoff.  It just stinks because everything has been worked around these dresses.  I even had my invites and my cake done to match the shade of pink in the dresses.  I know, that is a silly thing to think of, but it is those types of details that I have loved most about wedding planning.   I happen to know a very good seamstress who I know has worked miracles in the past.  She was scheduled to do two of the alterations, one being my MOH, so I am certain she will be able to work with it.  I'm just concerned about getting the dress back.  I am almost wishing I didn't have them send it back, but really, they should have because it was a glaring error.

I wish I didn't even get involved with this shop.  But, it was convenient and had the original dress I was looking at.  The girls liked this particular dress better so we just rolled with it.  I know this can happen anywhere, but I would hope other shops would have better customer service than this.  Oh well, live and learn.  

When my parents got married, my mom's BM dresses got lost.  There was a huge postal strike and they couldn't be found....until the day before the wedding.  The woman who had ordered them for my mom sent her husband to NYC to pick them up and then stayed up all night doing alterations.  So, nightmares happen...and sometimes have happy endings.  My parents have been married a wonderful 38 years....I would like to think maybe these things are good luck and that my FI and I will be as lucky. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

Good morning, I would ask to see what the size chart that they used... I just brought in of my bm's  to get measured... and the dress chart matched the make of the dress.... it's a Jordan, and at the top of the chart.. it also said Jordan... this way I know we are on the same page.. as we all know all dress run differently..not sure why... not my bm was offered either the smaller size, and they they could take the zipper out and piece it together, or go with the larger size and just cut it down!!! We went with the larger size hopefully this works..... back to  you... compare what they used for sizing, and make sure it's the correct dress maker... if not then the owner should rush the dress's at no cost to you.. and bottom line make you happy.. bad news travels fast especially on these boards.. then I would write a letter to the BBB....

Let us know how things turn out!!!

Staci

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hey Colby--SOunds like you have a good solution worked out.  I'll cross my fingers for you that they send back a new dress quickly in the correct size.  I'm sure everything will work out one way or the other.

And I totally understand about the colors matching.  We matched the navy from the bridesmaid dresses to a dozen other things as well, so I see where you are coming from!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Just as an FYI, I used Bill Levkoff for my wedding in 2007 and the dresses came HUGE, even for the bridesmaids who seemed to perfectly match a particular size's measurements.  My money is on human error on the part of the store owner.  Bad measurements or wrong size chart.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I was going to say what Staci said - ask for the sizing chart for the maker and the exact form the shop filled out on the exact day you and the girls were in to be measured... It seems very strange that the sample size dress in the shop fit your BM but then her actual dress, supposed same size, did not fit.  If the shop made the error, they will have to re-order at no cost to you.  I also agree with someone's suggestion to contact the maker.

Try not to worry too much - I'm sure you will still be able to use these dresses!  It's just unfortunate that this happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Thanks all for your advice.  I think I do need to check the sizing charts because I am almost certain this is where the error was made.  As long as I can get my MOH dress in I'll be happy....I would have been happier if the dresses fit given the $$ but right now that isn't going to happen. 

MM, it is interesting you say your BM dresses were huge.  This is what I am reading online as well. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Just wanted to give you all an update on the dress issue.  My mom went to the dress shop today to pick up shoes for my BM.  Luckily they were there.  When she was there the owner told her Bill Levkoff had contacted her and told her my MOH's dress was indeed the correct size and they were sending it back.  My mom, whose motto is "mess with me, but don't mess with one of my kids" told the woman that was unacceptable.  Long story short, the woman is now having a larger size rushed to the store.  We should have it by September 16th.   It is a bit close but they assured us it would arrive by then. 

The one piece I don't agree with is because they are ordering a new dress, the owner said she'd absorb the cost of the new dress, but my mom would have to pay the rush fee ($40.)  My mom has already put a deposit down on the previous wrong sized dress, and will have to pay the balance when the dress arrives.  So,she is paying $40 MORE....my mom (God I love her!) said the cost was worth it to have my MOH feel beautiful in the dress and for me to not to worry. 

Now let's hope it arrives in time!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

well I quess in the end.. you'll have your dress's.... what happened when they did the ordering?  That is really what I would want to know!!! Gotta love Mom's... !!!

Bottom line a least you'll have the dress's... I've also heard of people telling the wrong wedding date to avoid these things.. did you do this?  Also when is your real wedding date?

Staci

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Good for mom!!  I love stories like that.  I wish I had been there to witness. :)
    Hope it all works out!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Woo hoo!  Moms rock.  Hoping all goes well from here on in.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

Gotta love how no matter what age you are, your always mom's little girl! I hope it works out, please after you get your dress in do a review with the name of the shop so we can avoid going there!! Surprised

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Oh, my mom is the best!  Seriously, I don't know what I would do without her!  She is an amazing lady! 

To a previous poster, my wedding is October 3rd.  So, with any luck the dress will come in by Sept 16th as promised and we'll have about 2 weeks to do alterations.  Plenty of time! 

I do wish I knew what was going on with the ordering.  But, as a word of advice to everyone else, make sure you personally look at the sizing charts.  The owner didn't show it to us, she just suggested the sizes based on the measurements she took.  I trusted her and the girls went up sizes to be sure.  Either the measurements were off, or she was looking at the wrong chart, but I should have insisted to see the charts myself.  I did this for my own dress (bought at a different shop thank goodness!) and had no problems.  But, with all the girls there that day it was a bit chaotic so I neglected to insist.  I learned my lesson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Bridesmaid Dress Sizing Issues:
    [QUOTE]No problem Colby, P.S. I think it is really skeevy when vendors troll these forums looking for bad reviews about them. Just saying.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Maybe they'd be better vendors if they spent more time on customer service and less time trolling the BDC forums?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Why are you buying the dresses? Don't these chosen few have any money?
    Aren't they overwhelmed by your kindness in putting them in the wedding?
    If you're worried about them,simply cut back on the ushers who will not protest at all at being left out.You'll get a great balanced wedding portrait.
    You can always say before you invite them to send in their sizes to recall the old chant:
        Liar,liar,pants on fire.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Just wanted to give an update -- finally got my maid of honor's dress.  My mom followed up with the dress shop late last week luckily, and the dress had arrived - no call despite the, promising to do so when it arrived.  It was scheduled to arrive on the 15th, but given the service we had received, my mom wanted to call and check to see on the status.  She called on Thursday of last week and the owner had to call her back because she was "with a client."  Whatever, I'm a client and everytime I've called or been in there I've been told I had to wait.  About three hours later when my mom had still not received a call back, she called again.  A box has been received, when, we do not know, but the dress was there.  Thankfully! 

We went on Sat morning and picked up the dress.  I was a bit annoyed that we then had to pay not only the $40 rush fee for the new dress (which we knew), but also a $8 "freight charge" (which we were never told about.)  We just paid because we were so happy to have gotten the dress in.  She then told us the other dress (which was too small) was in the back (we had been told all this time that it was sent back to Bill Levkoff.)  So for about a month I have been stressing because I had been thinking the other dress had been sent back to the factory and my MOH would be without a dress if this new one didn't arrive in time.

Earlier tonight I got a text message from my mom with my a pic of my MOH in the dress...she is my 17 yr old cousin and was so beautiful in the dress, she was beaming!  Of course, this dress is now too big, which leads me to believe there was something wrong with the last dress, but whatever, it is nothing that a good seamstress cannot fix.  Just wanted to update everyone.  Despite all the stress, this did work out ok.

FYI, the dress shop was Bridesmaid Galleria in Lynnfield.  I cannot give a total negative review because we did get the dress in, but I would say that customer service is not their strongest asset, neither is organizational skills.  If I had to do it again, I would avoid this place.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So happy for you and your party that it worked out!  (However, I'd say they earned a totally negative review despite the dresses coming in.)

YAY!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Colby, you are too funny!  After everything you've been through, and you "cannot give a total negative review". 

That's like having a waitress spill your dinner on  your lap and you'd say "well, at least I got my food!".

LOL.  Just happy it all worked out, and with 2 weeks to spare! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great analogy, cos!  :D

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Please leave a review of this (and don't give them more than 1 star) on Yelp.  There are currently only 2 reviews...I would want to know about your experience if I were considering this place.

And congrats, BTW!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Thanks ladies, and you are right, I am being too nice.  But that is my non-confrontational self coming to the surface!  At this point, I'm just happy to have a dress.  Actually, I'm estactic that my MOH has a dress that she feels beautiful in.  As I've said before, she is my 17 year old cousin and given our age difference , she is more like a little sister/daughter to me (although, that would make me a VERY young mother!)  Her happiness is all that matters. 

So cross one worry off my list! With just over two weeks to go, I am realizing that there are many others....and they all seem to pop into my head at about 4am.  Sleep, what's that?!