bridesmaid dress SOS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

bridesmaid dress SOS!

Hi,

I am in the midst of finding a bridesmaid dress for seven bridesmaids (luckily all similarly shaped) and am having the worst time ever. I bought my dress in one day after trying on maybe 12. I've been taking my sisters with me to try on dresses and I've had it. I feel like a lot of the dresses at bridal shops are cheaply made and I'm not a huge fan at all, but we definitely need to try them on before we order (so can't do ann taylor or something strictly online).

I want short dresses that are pretty formal, since my venue's really formal but I really don't want to torture the girls with long dresses in the middle of the summer. I'm trying to keep it to around $175.

Does anyone have ideas of nice, friendly and most of all not the same old-same old shops for bridesmaid dresses? We are coming down to the wire and I cannot stomach another shopping trip to look at these things--they all look exactly the same to me and I don't think any of them make the girls look very good. (And those that do are super casual and not appropriate for my wedding.)

Any ideas/help would be appreciated! We are on the North Shore, and Boston's also fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: bridesmaid dress SOS!

hmm--I wouldn't rule out the Ann Taylor dresses since they sound perfect for what you are describing.  Most of them are 100% silk, and well-constructed dresses, and most cut just below the knee.  They are formal and flattering..  The fabrics drape nicely, and the sizing is predictable.  My bridesmaids got them and no one needed alterations.  Plus a bunch of them are on sale right now.  They are offering free shipping on orders over $150 right now.  Why don't you order a whole bunch of styles (free shipping), and then return whatever you don't need?  It will save you a trip to the store, and if they don't work out, you really haven't lost much.

Also, check out jcrew.com.  They have similarly classy silk bridesmaid dresses.  And, I think they are available in select stores. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I brought a bridesmaid dress, my wedding dress and the my girls dresses at marry & tux in NH.  If your not having much luck at bridal shops you could looks at Macys, JC penny...etc. for dresses too!

Good Luck

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

also, have you tried aria bridesmaid dresses?  i've heard good things about them too.

i'm sorry you are having so much trouble.  don't agonize too much!  i'm sure everything will work out.  I had 7 bridesmaids too, I bought everyone's dresses at Ann Taylor one day, kind of on a whim.  Only one bridesmaid was with me, and she tried it on.  I called the rest of the girls and they looked up a picture online of the dress.  I figured I could return the whole lot if didn't work out.  But everyone loved them and they were on sale for under $100.  My point is: don't make this more complicated than it needs to be!  i can't tell if the sticking point is that you haven't found what you like, or that your sisters are vetoing the good options, but try not to stress, and I'm sure the right dress will come your way soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

The J.Crew at in Chestnut Hill (Atrium Mall I think?) now carries their bridal collection, so you can go there to try on their bridesmaids dresses!  They are very classy, nice fabrics and the one I bought for a recent wedding was only $160.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Have you tried Nordstroms?     Often you cannot find enough of 1 dress in a store in the right color and sizes,  but since most in store dressy/ cocktail style dresses are also on-line,  after a try-on,  they will ship a full on-line order to a store for pickup,  so any returns or changes do not cost you multiple shipping fees.  Lots in your price range, and many of far better quality than the lower tier bridesmaid lines.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I'm pretty sure that the Ann Taylor at the Northshore Mall in Peabody has the special occassions line. Natick might as well. (At least they used to...)

My girls' dresses are Alfred Sung/Dessy. I've also worn a Dessy dress in a wedding this summer and liked it. I found that I had a few options for cuts, etc. My girls are paying $158 for their full-length dresses.

I've also worn Jordan and Alfred Angelo dresses in weddings and thought they looked fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tingli. Show tingli's posts

trex509 - do you know if JCrew carries their wedding dresses at the Chestnut Hill location too?

My bridesmaids and I just found dresses on Nordstorms.com for under $100.  Mine aren't formal but I saw a lot of beautiful ones for great prices.  They couldn't try them on but worse case scenario we return them all if they look bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

FWIW- if they found dresses that they really like, let them wear them. Unless they're atrociously ugly or inappropriate, giving in on this one might be best for everyone's sanity.
    I just chose a color and let my BMs pick whatever kind of dress they wanted. They all chose lovely dresses, none looked cheap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Tingli:  not sure, I haven't actually been!  But after I had ordered a BM dress from JCrew, I got an email that the store was carrying their "Wedding Collection", so my guess is yes.  But I would call the store and ask just in case!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Ann Taylor carries their wedding/formal occasion line at the Chestnut Hill Mall.  I've bought formal dresses there before and have seen people trying on wedding dresses there. 

Check out Ann Taylor and J Crew at Chestnut Hill at the same time. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I was just about to post something with almost the same words as Pink! At this point, you're going to drive yourself crazy! You're never going to find a dress that all 8 of you agree on. My advice is either majority rules (even if you're in the minority - as long as it's not hideous or inappropriate) or you just pick something and have them deal.

I don't necessarily recommend doing this, but I picked out a dress online and showed my girls. The bridal shop didn't have a sample, but we ordered them anyway. Since it would be impossible to make everyone happy, everyone's kind of on the same playing field because no one got to try it on. No one is kidding themselves into thinking they will be able to wear it again, so it's kind of my problem if the pictures look bad. (Results to come in June: Stay tuned!) None of my girls put up a fuss about it (to my face anyway).

Can you maybe post some of the things you have liked and they have liked and maybe we can find a compromise?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You know, with 7 girls, it might just be a sad truth that not all of them will love what you end up going with.  It's a drawback of having so many girls needing the same dress, you know?  I'd relax a little and save yourself some angst.  It is what it is.  The girls will be happy to be in whatever you choose, bottom line, because they LOVE you! :)

I agree with the poster who said to check out Ann Taylor's cocktail dresses.  Every year they have something in the $160 - $200 range for a "little black dress" that would be lovely for bridesmaids that they could wear again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Would you be willing to pick a color and letting the girls pick their own?
    I'm going to be completely honest. I am in a wedding in the summer, and I was a little annoyed when my friend brought only TWO of her BM's with her to look at dresses without telling any of the other BM's and let them pick out the dresses, and then just told us that was what we were wearing.

Please don't get me wrong. I know she is the bride, but I wish she would have asked the other six girls if we liked them. If you are going to have so many girls in the wedding, it would be nice to consider all of their opinions, or just pick them yourself.

Sorry, maybe I was venting :(

Ann Taylor gowns are beautiful, but can be pricey, and like Trex said they carry them at The Chestnut Hill and I think the maybe the Galleria now? What about Davids Bridal. I know Alfred Angelo is reasonbly priced.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You don't have to apologize for your feelings, Peonie.  You are entitled to be annoyed that your brided only picked two of you to choose the gowns!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Haha, thanks. I just thought it was annoying. I'm over it now, but I know one of the girls in the wedding is plus-sized and is really uncomfortable with the one she picked, so I feel bad for her.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, that's too bad.  I feel for her, too.  Most of my family is heavy so I understand how devestating it can be to be put in a dress you don't find flattering to your size.

You know you're allowed to be annoyed?  You'll learn that in therapy. ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I think the North Shore woman might have been right about the Ann Taylor dresses.  We bought ours in store at the Newbury Street AT store, but I think they may have *recently* moved over to online only for that collection.  So definitely call before you trek out anywhere. 

Camilla's is a sweet shop.  I got my bridal gown there, but I didn't really browse their bridesmaid dresses, so I can't really speak to that.  It's not a huge shop, but if they have lines you like, you should check it out.

And, I think you do get to be the decisive one when it comes to the bridesmaid dresses.  It sounds like you are really going out of your way to find something nice, and you already said all of your girls are similarly sized, so I think you will be okay.  I was in a similar situation--7 girls, all between sizes 0-4, so it worked for us to just chose one dress style and move on from there.  My bridesmaids were spread across 5 cities, so there was no way we were herding them all into the same store at once to try on dresses anyway!  A-line cuts are pretty generous and flattering on many women, so that is one option to keep in mind.

I understand where Peonie is coming from--the same strategy might not work if the women differ a lot in their sizes, or if the dress is cut more snugly around the hips.  But it definitely can work; you just have to know your ladies and keep them in mind when you select the dress.

And, I want to add that is definitely possible to have short, formal looking dresses.  Fine fabrics (silk, chiffon), darker or muted colors, and good tailoring will make the dresses look formal.  We had navy silk with silk chiffon bodice and sash, and they looked very formal and classy.  I personally think short dresses look more flattering, especially given the simple monochrome nature of most bridesmaid dresses.  The girls aren't swallowed up by them this way. 

Do you have colors or styles in mind?  Any Vera Wang or Jim Hjelm dresses catch your eye?  If you post some inspiration pics, you might find the ladies here have more specific pointers.

good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Wedin2010!  I just ordered my dress from Camilla's as well and I *love* them!  So super sweet!  However, I did browse their bridesmaids dresses and the prices were out of my price range.  Most of them that I saw were around $200.  I'm really trying to stay around $150 or less for my girls.  The dresses were really nice though.  I thought I had found one I really liked that was only like $120, but when I went back with my MOH to look, we coudln't find it! 

Anyway, if you don't mind paying a little more, it might be worth a trip!

Also, my MOH gave me this piece of advice about the BMs dresses.  She told me to narrow it down to about 4 specific styles or so that I liked, then email or try on those with all the girls and let them all agree on a dress or pick from them.  She's been in a bunch of weddings and she said when the bride lets them have more freedom, it tends to be much harder for everyone to agree.  Maybe you can try this approach!  That way they get to choose what they like from a subset of dresses that you like.  Also, if the bride picks out the options, it is also a little more fair than in Peonie's example, since none of the BMs had more say that anyone else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Trex's idea about a short list of dresses is a good one.  We did shoe selection this way, and it worked out nicely.  My bridesmaids "graded" each shoe, and I aggregated the grades, and chose the favorite.  We did end up with the simplest shoe design though, by that algorithm.  It was completely inoffensive, so no one could object to it.  :p

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

"It's sort of one of those circular situations: none of us are thrilled with the dresses, then I find one I like and my style is different from my sisters, so I feel bad putting them in that dress, and then they find ones they like and I don't, and we all leave feeling frustrated and I'm really thinking to myself, "I don't really like ANY of these dresses in these stores!""

This was the part, when I read it, I thought you were simply disagreeing about the style. If they find a style they like, I really urge you to let them wear it unless it's absolutely terrible. If you're already feeling this frustrated over what other people will be wearing, it's time to let go of the idea that you'll find the holy grail of bridesmaid dresses that you all agree on. For your own sanity I would take a step back from this situation and let them pick something out. They sound like reasonable people who won't pick out white ball gowns or sequined micro-minis. I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to put it into perspective. On a scale of 1 to 10, how important are the bridesmaid dresses when it comes to wedding as a whole? wouldn't you rather be worrying about your own attire, or choosing the music?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

here are my bridesmaids. All in the same color, but different dresses. the dresses aren't even from the same store. I had one more bridesmaid, but she was unfortuantely cropped out of this picture, but she also looked great.:

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very pretty!  The two on our right aren't wearing the same style?  It looks very similar at least from this angle, anyway.

Ooooh, and I don't recall seeing any photos of the gorgeous train of your dress!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VanHassle. Show VanHassle's posts

Sorry to chime in so late, but have you looked at Aria on Newbury?  We did all short, and I had a formal wedding.  All the dresses my girls got were under $200.  (everyone picked their own style) I can also attest that the customer service at Aria was great.  You can see their styles online http://www.ariadress.com/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- yes, I forgot to mention that they actually individually picked out the same dress at two completely different stores, but one had the beading taken off because she didn't like it.
    And thank you! That's mostly my monster cathedral veil I got off eBay ;) the solid white is the actual dress train.