Camilla's for Alterations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Camilla's for Alterations?

I think I have actually settled on a dress (yay!) and I found it at Camilla's in Arlington.  I was wondering if anyone has ordered their dress there and how you felt about their alterations.  They were hesitant to give me any prices for the alterations, but finally estimated about this:

Hem $150
    Cups $20
    Bustle $20 per point (I need 4 points one on the outer skirt, 3 on the inner skirt)

This seems higher than other stores I have talked to.  Then again, maybe they are being more realistic and other stores were lowballing.  Any advice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Camilla's for Alterations?

Trex, I think those prices are reasonable for your dress.  The hem might be a little more expensive because of the cathedral length train - shaping it isn't the same as simply shortening a dress that doesn't have a long train.  Camilla's knows the dress you have so can be more accurrate in their quote. 

Better seamstresses can, as a rule, command a bit higher prices.  So, maybe the ones quoting you less need to charge less for some reason.  I wouldn't assume they are low balling you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Trex - What dress did you finally decide on?  You must be so excited!

People I know who had alterations at Camilla's were not all happy with the sales people working at the shop,  but were pleased with the quality of their alterations, different from sales staff.  This was 3,4, and 5 years ago, 4 brides.

If you have a cathedral train, over and under layer,  these prices are on the low side of reasonable.  A Cathedral Train  with separate over and underskirts on the dress  is a lot  of hem length, and  bustle work is complicated when done separately  and securely. 
          175-200 for the hemming, 175-225 for separate layer bustle work would be more common from anyone affiliated with a shop,  and pricier shops like ones I know in Andover and Haverhill would likely say $450  for two layers, hemming and bustling included.
       Sewn in cups are a good idea.

Ask for scrap material cut off,  In shaping a cathedral train, you won't want 1 inch wide scraps, but bigger pieces are great for making a souvenir flower of gown materials,  or emergency spaghetti straps which could be secured by a pin or small button if you find a strapless drooping and sliding down during dancing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I used the material from my train trimming to have my florist wrap my bouquet.  Good suggestion, waggie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

They said they will not be doing anything to the train, simply hemming the front of the dress.  If I want them to adjust the train (I was thinking of making it shorter), that is like another $150.  The skirt is 2 layers and does have extra fabric in the front from pleating, so maybe that is why it is higher.

I love the dress!  It is a Maggie Sottero called Coco.  Really pretty, and within my price range!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Trex, that dress is GORGEOUS!  I'm sure it looks fantastic on you too; you totally have the perfect figure for this dress.  Which color did you go with?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Trex 
    It is a GREAT dress,  and looks to have all the figure displaying features  that will be wonderful on you!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Trex, I LOVE IT! And you met your goal! Get a dress by the New Year :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

Trex, we're dress twins!  How fun!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I had mine done at Camillas:
    $140 for 3-layer hem, added cups, and bustle with several points (don't remember exactly how many) 
    plus they pressed my dress and steamed my veil for free.  and stored the dress until 48 hours before the wedding.

...I thought it was an excellent value.  Especially considering how much press & steam costs at most dry cleaners.  My maggie dress really needed it before I could wear it on the big day.   

I'd say, wait until you get the dress, and then ask for a quote from the seamstress.  It will be more accurate.  I do not think you will be ripped off by them.  

beautiful dress!  i LOVE the maggie's.  have fun!  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  Thanks for the advice!

Jasmine:  how long ago was  your wedding?  The pricing you got was great!  Hopefully the prices have not gone up significantly.  I really like the people at Camilla's too which is always nice.

Scrabulous:  Yay, that's so cool!  I *loved* the Coco as soon as I put it on.  I love the draping in the front.  Where are you getting yours from?  Have you decided how you are going to bustle it?  I am thinking of a one point American bustle (I think that is what it is called).  It mimics the beautiful pleating in the front, which is really pretty I think.  Here's a pic:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Trex, I think that is the perfect bustle for the dress! 

Low enough down so it lets all the dress style show, it will move nicely as you dance, and as you say, it echoes the gathers on the front.  Really do love that dress - worth all your shopping around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

I didn't even know you could choose the type of bustle.  I thought the seamstress would do whatever she wanted.  Huh! 

I got my dress at Marry & Tux, and I think I'm going to go to Anahit for my alterations.  One of my good friends went to her over the summer--I went along for moral support, and I thought she seemed great.  And she's really close to both my office and my mom's!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The American bustle is definitely the way to go - it's perfect. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

OMG Trex, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!

You have a nice bum, too :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

I love, love, love Camilla's. Nivia the owner is the sweetest woman ever and so is her mom and her aunt who work there. The seamstress is a little bit eccentric, but worked wonders on my dress. I ordered my dress and then lost 40 lbs....whoops. She basically reconstructed the entire top of my dress to make it fit like a glove.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

40 lbs during your engagement, Tri???  WOW!!  Congrats!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Trex, that is beautiful. The corset back is so slimming, which is why the Maggie dresses are awesome! You made a fantastic choice. Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Trex-My wedding was last May.  Alterations were done in March/April '09.  Not that long ago! 

I had that style of bustle for the over layer of my dress, and the seamstress did an under bustle with the layers beneath it.  It was perfect for my dress, because it prevented the over bustle from getting to big and stiff.  Anyway, she knows her stuff. 

My only advice is to bring a friend and be patient and take a careful look before signing off on the dress at your second fitting.  That style of overbustle bustle was not sufficient to get all the fabric off the floor to the left and right of the center point of the bustle.  I don't know if this makes sense.  As soon as we pointed it out, the seamstress made adjustments (added two subtle points) to the bustle to pick the extra fabric off the floor.  But if we hadn't noticed it, it wouldn't have been changed, and the dress would have been harder to dance in.  She knows her stuff, and once I had identified a concern, she had a lot of good ideas for solutions, but she wasn't pro-active in picking up these potential concerns.  Does that make sense? 

Also, bring a friend or two who will pay very close attention to how it bustles.  I did this, but on my wedding day it still took several minutes to figure out how to secure the bustle.  Not a deal at all to me, but I felt bad because I think my bridesmaids were starting to get a little stressed that they couldn't find the bustle points.  She had made the button and snap closures so subtle that they were hard to pick out amidst the lace on my dress.  (This may be less of a problem, since the fabric of your skirt is sleeker, but still.)  It was good that they were subtle--that way no one notices them when the dress is not bustled!  But, we should have spent more time memorizing the positions, I guess.  On the plus side, it was a nice few minutes with my bridesmaids after the ceremony.  And we have some fun pictures of everyone looking at skirt, trying to find the little button and loop.  :)

Anyway, as I said before, I was pleased with the service overall.  The gown was altered just right in the end.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just wanted to second jas's saying you must bring a good friend, one you wouldn't mind lifting up your dress, with you to the fitting after the bustle is done.  If you don't have anyone who knows how to bustle it you'll be in trouble.  Actually, my seamstress insisted I bring TWO people to learn it.  And, when Anahit insists, you don't say no! ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Trex, yay on finding the dress!  I even tried Coco on, I always thought it would be the "one" for me, but for some reason it wasn't, you never know!  You look so fabulous in it, it's so exciting to hate the dress picked out, isn't?  I felt I could really picture my day once I had the dress...and it made me want the day to come so much faster! 

I think the bustle you showed is perfect for the dress.  I love the corset back, I'm jealous because my dress ended up not having one.  So pretty, and flattering.

Wedding dresses are so fun.  There really needs to be more events like weddings to wear these fabulous dresses.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Twinklie!  Yes, I am very excited!  Going to try it on one more time and then order it today!!

"Wedding dresses are so fun.  There really needs to be more events like weddings to wear these fabulous dresses."

I totally agree!!!   Part of my search was stressful, but for the most part, it was SO much fun to try on all these gorgeous dresses!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I bought my dress!!!  I'm *so* excited and happy!  I had to go back to the store twice to try it on again after the first time, but I'm glad I did because this time I was totally sure that it was MY dress!  Now I just have to wait until May for it to come in...

Yay! :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsegool. Show dsegool's posts

Hi Trex

Not only did I get my dress and alterations at Camilla's but I also got COCO!!!  It is such a beautiful dress! I got so many compliments on it and felt absolutely amazing in it!  Camilla's did a great job with the alterations. My bustle held all night and Violet, the seamstress was great to work with! Congratulations!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Dsegool!  Oh, that's great!!  I'm so in love with that dress!  Thanks for the comments on Camilla's, makes me even happier I bought my dress there!  Can I ask how you bustled the Coco?  I'm leaning towards the 1 pt American bustle, but curious to hear what other Coco owners have done!

Sections
Shortcuts