Can anyone suggest a good bridal shop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Can anyone suggest a good bridal shop?

I have read so many horror stories about bridal shops in MA, and I really don't want to stress at all! Does anyone have any good stories from start to finish with their bridal shop? The designers I like are Maggie Sottero, Alfred Angelo and Jasmine. The stores that carry those are Yolandas, Camillas, and La Sposa, but I have heard bad things about all three. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Liz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Can anyone suggest a good bridal shop?

[QUOTE]I have read so many horror stories about bridal shops in MA, and I really don't want to stress at all! Does anyone have any good stories from start to finish with their bridal shop? The designers I like are Maggie Sottero, Alfred Angelo and Jasmine. The stores that carry those are Yolandas, Camillas, and La Sposa, but I have heard bad things about all three. Any suggestions? Thanks! Liz
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't say I don't want to stress at all...I know I will stress some...but I would like to not stress as much as I possibly can!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I did not go to any of those stores but I did get my dress at Marry and Tux in Nashua, NH and they were fabulous.  They had Maggies, and Alfred Angelo, I think Jasmine as well but it has been so long ago (said somewhat sarcastically I have been married for a year now) that I cannot remember Jasmine but they might have them.  Plus with NH I didn't have a luxury tax on the dress.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Hi Liz!  I can't give you a review of my bridal shop from start to finish just yet, but so far they have been unbelievable.  I ordered my Maggie Sottero from Hillary's Bridal in Plymouth, and they have been great.  They have a huge selection, they are well organized, and so accomodating.  I actually decided that I wanted a dress different than the one I orginally ordered, and they had no problem changing my order (usually unheard of with bridal shops!).

My dress just came in last week and I have my first fitting next Saturday, so I'll keep you posted.  However, I do know several women who ordered their dresses here in the past and they've all had great experiences with them.

I found that the dress shopping was the best part of wedding planning, so try not to stress and enjoy it!  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from katienic. Show katienic's posts

I just got a Maggie Sottero dress at Marry and Tux last week. The service and prices were fantastic. I would highly recommend visiting the shop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I don't know whether the shop carries your designers [I only cared about silhouettes, not who made the dress] but I had a great experience w/ Pure Bliss in Newburyport. The downsides are, it's a hike from Boston and they do not do alterations on the weekend.  I'll tell you right up front that it's the only dress shop that I went to to look for my wedding dress, since I got lucky and found my dress the first time around.  However, I did go bridal gown shopping w/ one of my sisters, so I do have a frame of reference. 

Jeanine, the owner of the shop, may not be the warm and fuzzy type, but she is nice and perfectly civil [others have posted that they don't like her, but that could be b/c she doesn't fawn all over you].  She was very professional and knew exactly what she was doing. I filled out a short questionnaire when I got there telling her how much I wanted to spend and what style of dress/wedding I was looking for.  The parameters I gave her were pretty vague - I think I told her simple and elegant, and no poofy ballgowns.  She nailed it on the first try.  My mom, who came w/ me, is as hard to please as I can be, was very impressed.  I liked that I didn't have to go through dresses myself, but from what I've read on here, some people hate it if they can't look through the dresses themselves. If you want to go through racks on your own, this is not the place for you. 

Alterations were not expensive.  She has you order the dress in the proper size [none of the 'large' ordering to make a buck on altertions later that you hear about], so my alterations were minimal.  I went in once when the dress arrived - on schedule-, had my fitting, and then went back a second time after the alterations were done to pick up the dress.  I also ordered my veil, shoes and hair accessories there.  All in all I was very pleased w/ the experience and I hate to shop. 

Another shop that I think is great is Gianna's in Stoneham.  My sister ordered her wedding dress there and I ordered my BM dresses there.  I don't know how alterations for bridal gowns are there [I'm not sure if my sister had them done there] but I know that the times for alterations for BM dresses was incredibly inconvenient and my sisters and MOH had them done elsewhere.  But it was an easy shop to work with and the dresses came in in plenty of time. 

Both shops require appointments.  Good luck and HTH!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, nope, can't give you a stellar "start to finish" review of VOWS, the bridal consignment shop in Newton, but I can give you this review of the finish! I got this silk Ramona Kaveza valued at $5200 by VOWS and about $8000 by my seamstress (Anahit) for $700.  With alterations (the train was shortened from cathedral to chapel, sleeves from bell long, lace stayed, petticoat sewn in, hemmed, bodice shaped...) it was about $1100, total.

(My apologies to the girls who've seen my dress 1000 times!)

DK110908_044.jpg picture by kargiver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostoniangal2. Show bostoniangal2's posts

I can't say enough good things about Marry & Tux -- just bought my dress there last weekend.  Excellent service, attentive and helpful but not pushy at all.  Definitely worth the drive to Nashua.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm another marry and tux fan...and they have samples in sizes ranging the spectrum, which is great!  (and definitely helps in ordering, and reducing alterations costs). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks girls!! I may have to check our Marry and Tux!!! I honestly don't care about the designer, I only say I like those three because every site I have looked at, I like the those dresss the best...they seem to have the most ball gowns. I will keep you all updated! I am not getting married until September 2010 so I have some time...but I am eager to start! Thanks again!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Allegria in Belmont was super easy to work with. I bought my Augusta Jones gown there at a trunk show, so received 15% off.  It came in earlier than expected, they called me, I tried it on and brought it to the tailor they recommended (who I think might be pricier than most, but does a really good job).  The dress fit pretty well to start with - they did not do that whole, "Oh, we're going to order you a dress 2x too large just in case..." thing that results in horrific alterations needs.

They were just very easy to work with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnneEnow. Show AnneEnow's posts

Another vote for Hilary's Bridal in Plymouth.  I had a great experience there when I got my dress 2 years ago.  They're very accomodating and it was so much fun!  Great selection, great prices, and great customer service.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

I got my Alfred Angelo dress at Bride N Belle in Medford and worked with Jo---she was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there!  It is definitely not a lovely looking shop, but they have so many dresses.  AA had a trunk show there and I got my dress for about $700.  They were patient, honest, and very helpful!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hey girls, just wanted to let you know I have an appointment at Marry and Tux next week and an appointment at Hillarys the week after! Can't wait. I will let you know how it all goes!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I also have an appointment at Precious Memories in Malden...they carry Casablanca and I like their gowns, and they are very reasonably priced.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Ooh, how exciting!  I'm sure you'll really like Hillary's.  Susan and Mary are so sweet and so helpful!  Hopefully the other shops work out for you as well.  Do you know what type of dress you're looking for?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Well, not to be too graphic, haha but I have big boobs (DD), and a little bit of a tummy, so I am thinking A-line. I really like gowns with the pick-ups, and Casablanca and Maggies have a lot of those. For so long I was thinking a gown with straps because of my chest, but then someone told me that girls who are chesty actually look better and are more comfortable in strapless... so we shall see!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I have the opposite issue...I'm probably going to need pads inserted into my gown!  Haha! 

I have to agree though that chesty girls do look wonderful in a strapless dress that fits well.  My sister in law is also a DD, and she wore a Maggie strapless, corset back dress at her wedding.  She looked STUNNING. 

Let us know how you make out!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I got my dress (a Maggie Sottero) at Marry&Tux in Nashua, NH, and they were *awesome.* They're inexpensive (dresses from around $600 to $1500), it's a full-service salon, and they're just really nice. When I picked up my dress, they even carried it out to my car for me.

PS-Your puppy is really cute. FI's parents have two miniature Schnauzers and we love them!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I can't wait to go to Marry and Tux...I have heard nothing but good things about them, and with the MA tax going up, this is the perfect time! And that dog isn't mine haha! Just a cute pic of a mini schnauzer. My FI and I love them, and we are actually looking for a good breeder, but can't seem to find any. So, if your FI's parent's know of any, pass the name along!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

[QUOTE]I can't wait to go to Marry and Tux...I have heard nothing but good things about them, and with the MA tax going up, this is the perfect time! And that dog isn't mine haha! Just a cute pic of a mini schnauzer. My FI and I love them, and we are actually looking for a good breeder, but can't seem to find any. So, if your FI's parent's know of any, pass the name along!!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I'll ask them where they got their puppies. They've had mini schnauzers all FI's life, and their personalities seem to trend along sex; the males are cuddly, mellow, and quirky, and the females are feisty and playful. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I know people don't have good things to say about Davids Bridal for dresses, but what about veils?? Anyone get their veil at DB?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Whirled...I would really appreciate that!! We definitely want a boy, I know that much!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl44. Show Soxgirl44's posts

I loved Marry and Tux and I got my Maggie Sottero there. I can't wait for it to come in. I actually had a picture of the dress when I went and my sales rep was actually shocked that its the 1 I picked since most girls don't go with the pictures they find. Felicity is the dress I got and I can't wait. I really liked the Jasmine line, but was sure at a place like Yolanda's I couldn't afford it. I grew up down the street from Yolanda's and just knew the prices. Good luck

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I LOVE Jasmine, but have heard not-so-good things about Yolandas. In I am in a wedding in June 2010 and we went there the other day looking for her gown and they prices were a little higher than other places. I also grew up close to Yolandas, but I think I won't even go there. Does Marry and Tux carry Jasmine?