Chocolate BM dresses, but what about the tux?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nessa. Show nessa's posts

Chocolate BM dresses, but what about the tux?

Hi All,

My sister is getting married in Oct....  She is having he bridesmaids wear chocolate brown dresses with watermelon accents (wrap, jewelery, flowers).  She is having trouble deciding what color the groomsmen should wear.  Any suggestions?

Does anyone have some pics of what you did if you had chocolate dresses?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Chocolate BM dresses, but what about the tux?

It's OK.  You should be able to delete the first one.

I think you'll get a lot of heated responses - half that brown and black NEVER go together, and half that it's fine.  Cool

I believe there was a bride around here that did chocolate dresses with black tuxes, though, so you may find something.

I don't know how to match, so that's really all I can say on this topic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Here's a picture I found online.  I did a search, and in a lot of them, I honestly can't tell what color the suits are.  I can't decide if that's good or bad.  But these are black.

Another thought is that she could put them in gray suits, which is more of a contrast than brown and black (but I don't know how that would look - it all depends on shades).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think black would be fine.  If you are having vests, they could be chocolate brown; I'm sure MW Tux has every color imaginable.  Or, red goes with brown - she could have them accented in the accent color to the brown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think black tuxedos would look fine, maybe with watermelon vests?  I saw brown tuxedos this weekend while we were picking tuxedos :) but it may not be the right color against the dresses.  Are you near Woburn?  We got a good deal this weekend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I like the khaki suits with brown ties to go with those dresses.  Of course, it would have to be a morning or mid-afternoon, Summer wedding!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Chocolate BM dresses, but what about the tux?:
    I think black would be fine.  If you are having vests, they could be chocolate brown; I'm sure MW Tux has every color imaginable.  Or, red goes with brown - she could have them accented in the accent color to the brown.
    Posted by kargiver

Red vests with watermelon pink sashes on the dresses?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I went to a wedding last summer and the BM's wore chocolate brown dresses with pink sashes and the GM's wore black tuxes with brown vests...looked really good. Here is a picture:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Ok, BDC is being lame and won't let me post a picture, I will try again in a few.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

You could go gray or navy. I also really like the khaki suit idea, of course I'm not sure if that would work for an October wedding.
    I'm one of those who doesn't think black and brown match ever- but realistically, how often are they going to be standing next to each other? Pictures. That's really it. So you can get away with it easily.
    With all the things people find to complain about at weddings, I'm sure how well the bridal party matches isn't going to be on anyone's radar. For example: the thing that bothers me the most in the photo Lucy posted isn't the brown and black, it's the BM on the bottom right who looks less-than-thrilled.

I prefer a wedding to be not-so-matchy. I like it to look like a real life celebration instead of a "Modern Bride" photo spread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

For example: the thing that bothers me the most in the photo Lucy posted isn't the brown and black, it's the BM on the bottom right who looks less-than-thrilled.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

HA!  I didn't even notice that.  You know, I really don't like brown and black together, either (or black and navy), but I like that picture more than I thought I would.  And I've seen pictures of black and navy weddings that looked nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Black for tuxes.  But some light grey daytime cutaways and suits,  and summer tan/ khaki / sand suits with a fine white pinstripe look great too, with cinnamon or chocolate browns.

Love cicirose's picture.  That look is subtle and classy for days, sharper than a tux or more formal day wear.  And if they buy them, a suit to have.

Dark brown suits or -yuk- tuxes flatter only a few men with the right coloring.  Look very Peggy Sue Got Married 50's Prom look, to me.  Like baby blue tuxes do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My BMs wore chocolate dresses and the guys were in black tuxes. They wore orange vests and ties. 

I'm having trouble posting photos, but I'll try again later. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Chocolate BM dresses, but what about the tux?:
    Hi All, My sister is getting married in Oct....  She is having he bridesmaids wear chocolate brown dresses with watermelon accents (wrap, jewelery, flowers).  She is having trouble deciding what color the groomsmen should wear.  Any suggestions? Does anyone have some pics of what you did if you had chocolate dresses? Thanks!
    Posted by nessa

I personally think that tuxes in any color other than black look silly.  If she is set on tuxes, stay classic and go w/ black. If she wants to incorporate color into the men's attire, look at suits. 

ETA; we wore chocolate brown for one of my sisters' wedding.  The men wore khaki suits.  It looked lovely in photos. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

I had an October wedding with chocolate brown bridesmaid dresses and black tuxes with chocolate brown vests and ties.  Of course I'm biased, but I think it looked great!  DH wore an ivory vest and tie to match my ivory dress.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

what about gray or silver vests and ties?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I'll make one post and then butt out of this ladies only conversation. No guy is going to balk at a black tux.  But if you start getting into "watermelon" or the like accessories, better get the groom's input.  Older, heavier, men may object or feel silly in something not traditional, especially in colors not usually selected by men.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I'll make one post and then butt out of this ladies only conversation. No guy is going to balk at a black tux.  But if you start getting into "watermelon" or the like accessories, better get the groom's input.  Older, heavier, men may object or feel silly in something not traditional, especially in colors not usually selected by men.
    Posted by easydoesit2

This is an excellent point.  I can just imagine my SO's brother's response if I told him he would be wearing a watermelon pink vest.  I'm thinking three words, first one "No" and last one "way."

And I shudder to even contemplate the "Your brother can't be in the wedding because I want him to wear pink" conversation. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I don't think any guys would really care about the color of the vest.  I mean I can see if you asked them to wear a pink tux....that would be a bit much, but I believe they would expect to match the maids with their ties, etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I disagree and think you can wear any color tux/suit at any time of the day.  There is no rule that you can not wear a khaki colored suit at night.
    I do agree that there are some guys who will balk at wearing certain colors.  My hope is that they will go with flow and wear what the bride wishes.
    I am not sure if I like the black with brown. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

maybe a khaki suit on a summer night, but on a night in October it's going to be odd. Like if the BMs were in linen sundresses on an October night. Not unheard of, but odd.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I honestly think that brown dresses with black tuxes look fine. Just have them wear brown vests or something. And I have to agree, I don't think a lot of guys would be "happy" to wear a pink vest, but hopefully they will just s*ck it up, if that is what she really wants. However, if the groom hates the idea, don't make his men wear that, it won't make anyone happy.

I think that might have been the one thing that my FI requested..."no pink vests or ties for my guys."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

A tux should never be any color other than black.  Ever. Do not get me started on the abomination that is a white tux.  If she is set on tuxes, then go black and if she wants vests, stick with black too, or maybe chocolate brown if she wants to be very matchy.

If she is willing to consider options other than tuxes then plenty of the sugestions here are fine - navy, khaki (time etc depending). Just not brown, lest they look like door to door insurance salesmen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Please don't have them wear colored vests or cummberbunds.  It screams PROM.  Adult men getting married or in formal weddings should wear a traditional tux, which includes a black vest.  If you want to get fancy w/ color, do a regular tie w/ the tux and put the color there. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

FWIW, I had pink and chocolate brown BM dresses in my wedding and our groomsmen wore chocolate brown tuxes with chocolate vests and pink paisley ties. Our dads wore the same with a chocolate brown tie and DH wore an eggshell vest and tie to match me. I thought it looked sharp. The tuxes were called "Cadbury" from Calvin Klein.

Sections
Shortcuts