Corset or bra?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Corset or bra?

Are any of you wearing a regular strapless bra or a corset underneath your wedding dress? 

I have a corset, but I'm thinking I might change to a regular strapless bra.  The only thing I'm worried about is the comfort level after wearing it for nearly 10 hours.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Re: Corset or bra?

goodness - have you considered going sans bra altogether and having cups sewn into your gown?  I am a DD cup and did this, and it was great! (I had my doubts...).  However I recently bought an amazing strapless bra at Macy's that is very comfortable, supportive and has great shape.

If you decide you might want to go with a corset, I would suggest wearing it around the house for a while (sitting, standing, etc) to see how it feels.  I wore the corset I originally bought to wear under my wedding dress (never returned it) under a different dress to go to a friend's wedding on saturday.  I was in pain all night!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Oh, I never thought of having cups sewn into the dress.  That might be an option, too.  I'm the same size as you, and was worried they wouldn't stay put with a regular strapless bra and it would end up being uncomfortable.  I did end up buying a corset for my dress, but I haven't had it on longer than a couple hours (when I was trying dresses on).  I'm thinking that I might get hot and it'll end up bothering me towards the end of the night.  The thought of not having another layer, is a good thing, too.

Should I ask my seamstress how much it would cost to have cups sewn in?  What did it cost you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

The DD Club.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Is your dress strapless?  Mine had straps (sort of off-the-shoulder style) so that helped me feel more secure.  I think it cost me $30 to have them sewn in.  Ask your seamstress what she thinks (if you trust her... which hopefully you do!)

In Response to Re: Corset or bra?:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I never thought of having cups sewn into the dress.  That might be an option, too.  I'm the same size as you, and was worried they wouldn't stay put with a regular strapless bra and it would end up being uncomfortable.  I did end up buying a corset for my dress, but I haven't had it on longer than a couple hours (when I was trying dresses on).  I'm thinking that I might get hot and it'll end up bothering me towards the end of the night.  The thought of not having another layer, is a good thing, too. Should I ask my seamstress how much it would cost to have cups sewn in?  What did it cost you?
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Heather, please do tell me the bra you got at Macy's! I am a DD too and have never ever found a comfortable strapless bra!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Yes, it's strapless.  I'm worried that they might not stay up now :(  That's why the corset idea was good for me.  I think the plain strapless bra might be umcomfortable.

Anyone else have good opinions about having cups sewn into a strapless dress?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Heather, please do tell me the bra you got at Macy's! I am a DD too and have never ever found a comfortable strapless bra!
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Same here!!  I have ONE good strapless bra that I've worn the heck out of.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I HATE strapless bras with a passion. I say go with the corset, Goodness. When I was in my brothers wedding I wore one and it held everything up all night!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

There was boning and lacing built into my gown, and then I had cups sown in.  I loved the corseted feeling because it really made the dress more flattering.  I tried on similar dresses without the boning and they didn't look as nice because they didn't do all of that sucking in work for me. :p  If I had gone that route, I would've definitely used a separate corset underneath the gown.    It wasn't exactly comfortable, but I was less self-conscious knowing everything was going to be kept in place!  Definitely worth it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Believe it or not, I can't remember if my dress has boning on the side?!  Awful.  I'll have to check it out, and speak to my seamstress about having cups sewn in, or keeping my corset.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]There was boning and lacing built into my gown, and then I had cups sown in.  I loved the corseted feeling because it really made the dress more flattering.  Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

I agree!  I should add to my other posts that the KEY for me feeling comfortable (i.e. like nothing was going to fall out!) was having my seamstress really take in the waist and make it super snug so that the dress basically held itself up - no chance for it to fall down, even if it had no straps.  And it was still comfortable, just fit very, very well in the waist and ribcage area.

Peonie and Goodness - I will look at the bra tonight and let you know what brand it is.  I can't remember.  But it's the first one I've loved!  And it comes with straps you can attach!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Corset or bra? : I agree!  I should add to my other posts that the KEY for me feeling comfortable (i.e. like nothing was going to fall out!) was having my seamstress really take in the waist and make it super snug so that the dress basically held itself up - no chance for it to fall down, even if it had no straps.  And it was still comfortable, just fit very, very well in the waist and ribcage area. Peonie and Goodness - I will look at the bra tonight and let you know what brand it is.  I can't remember.  But it's the first one I've loved!  And it comes with straps you can attach!
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

After reading all the posts, I wish I had known about the corseted dress for a snugger fit.  My dress just zips up in the back, but I think I remember it having boning... I can't remember now.  The corset bra holds me up nicely, and I know it'll keep everything in place, I was just trying to lose another portion of my layering that was going on underneath my dress.  I have that, and my petticoat.  It'll be a lot! 

Yes, definitely let us know the brand of bra!  I'm very interested.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I went totally free.  My silk was very thick, heavy, and the bodice was form fitting.  Nothing showed through, I was totally supported, and I have enough on top to look balanced without padding.  I was going to have cups sewn in, but Anahit recommended against it saying it was not worth altering the lines of the dress at all for.  I agreed - she is the Gown Goddess, after all, and I felt great.

As for which is better (bra or corset), I'd say it depends on the gown, but don't forget to consider going bra-free if the dress will, uh, support it shall we say. ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That's a good point.  I'll ask her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My dress is a corset, but I'm wearing a strapless bra anyway, just to keep everything where it should be. Actually, the strapless bra helps give the illusion of boobs because I should probably be an A minus or something like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

My dress is a corset too, and I'm not wearing anything underneath.  The shop sewed cups in for me, and they're fantastic!  I love my fake, padded b00bies!  Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

If you choose a long-line or a corset, be sure to sit down in it with your dress on while at your fittings.  Some corsets will cut you in half when you sit down.  And yes, you will sit down, at least for a little while. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I also had cups sewn in. My dress was empire waist, but it had boning inside to keep everything looking nice and smooth. I was so comfortable, it was great! I've got a big bust for a thin person, C. Strapless bras always chafe me or ride down, a battle of too tight or not tight enough to support me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I had cups sewn in as well.  I had a strapless dress w/ boning, no corset or lacing, and it worked just fine.  I'm a B cup, so I don't know if that made a difference.  It cost $15 to have the cups added.  So much easier than tugging at a strapless bra all night. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]If you choose a long-line or a corset, be sure to sit down in it with your dress on while at your fittings.  Some corsets will cut you in half when you sit down.  And yes, you will sit down, at least for a little while. 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Mine is a corset but also has a drop waist, so I literally CANNOT bend at the waist, only at the hips.  I have no choice but to sit up perfectly straight.  I'm going to have fabulous posture, but I'm going to look ridiculous on the dance floor.  LOL!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, cos - good point about sitting down.  I sat down quite a bit at our wedding; we made a point of sitting and EATING our dinners.

kmt, no one will notice but you that you can't bend at the waist unless you try to do the robot. ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Mine is a-line with a dropped waist.  There's nothing there to define the waist, and now I'm worrying that if I wear the corset, it might show through.  Even though there's so much dress!!  HA!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Speaking of boobs. I just got from Macys; looking for a dress to wear to a wedding I have to go to this weekend in CT. I tried on a v-neck, kind of like your wedding gown, Heather. Since you mentioned you have DD's, I thought I would give it a whirl. Well, everything fit perfectly everywhere, excepts my boobs were hanging out! I can't pull off v-necks :( So frustrating. I ended up buying a pretty venetian neckline dress, but I really wanted that v-neck one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Peonie, you're not alone.  I can't pull off v-neck shirts/dresses, either.  My boobs are big and with those tops, they just look bigger.  Makes it look like I'm trying to squeeze into a smaller dress.