Crinoline/hem length question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I think Kargiver and I are on the same page, at least! I just wanted to see if any one else had figured out a cheaper way to "lengthen" the dress just a smidge!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, it doesn't make the dress longer, but it will make it hang lower to the ground if the poofiness is depoofed. When I gain 5 lbs, all my jeans "get shorter." I agree, though, if she wants the poof they should deal with it some other way than de-poofing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I may be confused at what you are asking, so disregard my answer if it doesn't apply! I was watching say yes to the dress and a girl thought the dress was too short, showed her ankle and shoe too much. The solution was to cut off a layer of the crinoline, which made the dress fall lower, problem solved! There are usually so many layers under there, I have a lace dress as well and didn't realize i had 5 layers of crinoline under my straight falling dress! Cutting one or a few of them off is not a problem.

ETA: In rereading your post, i don;t think i did answer your question. You ordered the dress to come in longer right? But now are worried about it being too pouffy. I am sure there are extra layers of crinoline that can be taken out, there must be more than one? If that is not the solution, i am sure your seamstress will be able to help solve the pouffy issue by altering the crinoline in some way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

is there anyway for your petticoat to bridge the gap, so to speak?
    I've seen a few dresses with tulle ruffles peeking out from the skirt bottom, and I think that can be a lovely feminine touch, or an unexpected pop of color!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I dont think so, but this is dating back to October when I last saw it.

The dress is ivory lace, with a scalloped hem at the bottom. The crinoline top layer is stark white windbreaker-like material.
    Not sure what it is made out of, polyster I am sure.

I cant even lift my skirt up like that Pinkittie due to the shape of the gown, although that is quite fun, I must say!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, beagles - that is a hard thing to swallow item. Too short a dress will be most impossible to alter. May I ask, why did they order it too short?
    Can you possibly exchange it for a longer dress? Maybe this is a stupid queation for me to ask, but since the dress did not come to your measurements - one should think the store made a mistake and should have to exchange it.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this - best of luck to you - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You have a few options. One is yes, you can have her cut layers out of the crinoline, I believe. Or you can have a new, slimmer petticoat sewn in to replace what you have.
    Another option is to have her let out the hem an inch. I bet she has enough material there to do that. Don't worry, you don't have to live with it the way it is. And, I'd say this is their mistake; they should have accounted for how much the petticoat would take up the hem. So, you should argue hard against paying for having them fix the length, now.

Good luck!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I just don't understand this. If the dress came in too short, why all this altering? Maybe this bride wants a puffy dress, why should she settle for a less puffy one? To cut out some material of the crinoline - does not make the dress longer. I don't think this bride should settle for something, she did not order.
    If the store does some kind of altering to satisfy beagles - I hope she does not have to pay for it. The store screwed up on their order. Just my two cents.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been thinking... If I were you, I'd go with having them alter the length and fight hard to have it not cost you another cent and not try the de-poof method. It shouldn't have had to "dawn on you" - they are the wedding dress professionals and should have accounted for it.

I've changed my mind about the de-poofing because there is no guarantee that it will "lengthen" it enough so you may have to have them re-hem it anyway. And, at that point they'll have ruined your petticoat for nothing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Sorry for not being clear. When I ordered the dress, they did the hollow to hem measurement. The dress was supposed to go to the floor. The dress came in at the requested length (which I paid extra for, to avoid havign t hem a lace dress)
    However, I wasnt wearing this exact crinoline, I wasnt wearing one at all, although I was wearing a slip. Having never ordered a wedding dress before, it didnt dawn on me this was going to be a problem.
    The crinoline I have now, due to my dress type, has only one layer at the bottom to make the bottom flare out (fit n flare gown)

I am aggravated I might have to pay to lengthen the dress after paying to have it hemmed to a specific length - although I may fight them on this. And having seen that episode of Say Yes to the Dress! I was wondering if the seamstress could alter the crinoline and depouf the single layer of tulle instead? Has anyone done this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hello. I am going for my first fitting in about a month. The last time I tried on the dress, when it came in, the dress is like 1 inch or less too short. But, it bugs the heck out of me. Everytime I walk, you see my entire foot and ankle.
    I ordered the hollow to hem measurement and I bought shoes that were about 1/4 inch shorter than I was supposed to. So, I know the only difference is the crinoline the store ordered for me.
    The dress is fit n flare, so they ordered a very specific crinoline for it, with one layer of tulle at the bottom.
    Since my dress is lace, and I dont even know if they can let it, plus I already paid extra for the special length - can they fix the crinoline instead and make it less poufy?
    I want to have a game plan before I go in there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Here is the dress, in case that helps (although mine is ivory with a sweetheart neckline :) )

Dress

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Beagles - beautiful dress! I can understand why you fell in love with it. Truly, I would leave the dress as is. I can understand you are upset, that is "too short"--- but truly, TRULY - looking at your dress, I don't think it would matter. No one will stand up and say, "Oh my God - her dress is too short." Trying to alter it may become worse.
    Keep the dress as is, ask for a discount - and be a happy bride. That is my advice - for whatever that counts. - Pingo

[Quote]Here is the dress, in case that helps (although mine is ivory with a sweetheart neckline :) )

Dress[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I dont think its my fault, but I am the one who needs to make sure its sorted out, as I am the one wearing the dress down the aisle!
    The dress shop said I needed the petticoat to keep the shape of the dress and to make sure the drss doesnt go between my legs when I walk with it.

I am sure I could do without it as long as I have a slip or have maybe one light layer of tulle sewn in to prevent that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I didn't wear a slip or a crinoline, but my dress didn't go between my legs. Maybe give it a trial run with just a slip?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Thats a great idea Pink, I will try that out at the fitting no matter how much they try to rush me along!
    I argued hard for a Saturday fitting, as they are only open 10 to 4 most days and I cannot take time off from work like that right now. (barely have time to eat lunch!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hmmm! Scalloped edge at the bottom? Yikes - i don't think that can be altered. Could they possibly add some of the exact same material as your gown to your petticoat and have that one reach the floor?
    It bothers me that you think it is your fault that your dress was not ordered long enough - they are the professionals and should have been able to advice you better. IMO - they messed up and you should not have to pay for the alterations. Hope everything will work out for you - P

[Quote]I dont think so, but this is dating back to October when I last saw it.

The dress is ivory lace, with a scalloped hem at the bottom. The crinoline top layer is stark white windbreaker-like material.

I cant even lift my skirt up like that Pinkittie due to the shape of the gown, although that is quite fun, I must say![/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The petticoat needs to have enough physical integrity to keep the dress where it should be when you walk. Removing layers may make it ineffectual. A slip may be too light, as well. Not sure, though, without actually seeing you walk in it. I'd be pretty forceful with them about fixing it right and having them cover the extra cost. It darned well is their fault given that they sell a dress that needs that particular type of petticoat and, therefore, should be the ones to know how to handle it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Yes I do know what you mean - and no due to the stark difference in color and material between the two, that will not work for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Can you do without the petticoat? I too had to go take a peak at your dress in the old thread. Seems like a dress that could do without a petticoat, but it's hard to tell from the photos... and as Kittie said, real life is different from pictures!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

well, if the crinoline is polyester, it can't be dyed, but tulle can be dyed to match your gown. If there's not enough material so that de-poofing or letting down the hem is an option, dyed tulle can be an easy fill.

ETA: I went back to the "show us your dress" thread so I could see your dress. The end of the skirt detail is lovely and I can see why you don't want to lose it. Can you skip the crinoline altogether? It's such a lovely dress, I don't think it needs poof to show it off, but real life is different than pictures.

[Quote]Yes I do know what you mean - and no due to the stark difference in color and material between the two, that will not work for me.[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

yes, but you know what I mean by the crinoline or tulle "filling the gap" for length?
    Is that an option?

[Quote]I dont think so, but this is dating back to October when I last saw it.

I cant even lift my skirt up like that Pinkittie due to the shape of the gown, although that is quite fun, I must say![/Quote]