Cups for my gown?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Cups for my gown?

(Can't load the page all the way to get reply)

figleaves?  Cool name!  I'll check it out.  And, it really runs true to size?  I'd be afraid a 28 would be doll-sized, ha ha!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Figleaves runs small, just a warning. I ordered a bikini off of the site and the top was very small. I am a 36DD and it fit like a 32! Just beware!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Oooh, kar, that was why I was so excited to find the figleaves.com site. Check it out! They do have tiny bands. They go down to 28! 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Oops, I'm 29 around, now. Sigh. Anyway, for all their great fit info, I can't find on there how to find out cup size. I'm 29/34. If you do the old fashioned subtraction it's a difference of 5 inches, but I'm definitely not a 29E. Am I? Or, is that how they do it? I'm so confused.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]I'm an odd size (32 C), and I have great luck at Lady Grace - they aren't all old-lady styles anymore.  Really!  And, they REALLY know what they are doing when it comes to fitting you perfectly...that's how I found out what size I really am.  I used to wear a 34 B thanks to Victoria's Secret's boobs - get it?! Ha!  The straps were always falling down, and I thought that was just normal. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I think the grass is always greener.  I feel that women want something different than what they have.  It's tough. 

I remember going to Victoria's Secret and getting sized.  They got my size all wrong, and I sort of laughed in the girl's face.  I'm not a smaller chested person, but when she told me I was a 34 B, I laughed and told her that I haven't been that size since I was about 13 years old. 

It's important to go to a professional and get sized accurately.  There's nothing worse than wearing the wrong size bra!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Figleaves runs small, just a warning. I ordered a bikini off of the site and the top was very small. I am a 36DD and it fit like a 32! Just beware!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Hm, thanks.  That's exactly 4 inches off, the old fashioned way of determining the band size.  That's what I was concerned about.  I wonder why ALF isn't finding that to be the case.  I was a size 0 jean size when I was 28 inches around my ribcage so it's possible it's true to size.  Maybe the style you tried ran small, but 4 inches?  I just can't figure this out.

And, I still can't figure out my cup size on there if they do not add the 3 or 4 inches to the band before they subtract it from the chest measurement to get the cup.  The old way, there's 3 inches difference.  The new way, there's 5 inches.  I can't be an E...

Nothing like contemplating bra size to make a woman feel stupid!  Argh!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I know, kar. It's frustrating.  I take a size 0 or 1 jean/pants, which is funny b/c I'm the same size I was in HS and I  took a 5 then.  I don't know who decides to change  the sizes every few years.  Why isn't there standard sizing? I have no idea how to do cup sizing.  That seems to be the hard part b/c how can you mess up circumference?  And what the heck is a size E cup?!  As long as these online places have generous return policies, I think I may give them a try. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Where is Lady Grace? I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to drive hours and stock up on bras that don't make me feel fugly and deformed.

Kar, your measurement tutorial blew my mind! You'd think they'd simplify this process. I read somewhere that 80% of women wear the wrong bra size.

People always tell me that I look really young, and I always think that's a horribly rude thing to say to someone, but then they say, "Oh, you'll love it when you're 50!" Perhaps, but I'm *not* 50 and hate looking 12, so please stop talking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Where is Lady Grace? I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to drive hours and stock up on bras that don't make me feel fugly and deformed. Kar, your measurement tutorial blew my mind! You'd think they'd simplify this process. I read somewhere that 80% of women wear the wrong bra size. People always tell me that I look really young, and I always think that's a horribly rude thing to say to someone, but then they say, "Oh, you'll love it when you're 50!" Perhaps, but I'm *not* 50 and hate looking 12, so please stop talking.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not surprising so many of us are wearing the wrong bras with the measurement system so ridiculous. You can get the location nearest you from their site: www.ladygrace.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]Where is Lady Grace? I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to drive hours and stock up on bras that don't make me feel fugly and deformed. Kar, your measurement tutorial blew my mind! You'd think they'd simplify this process. I read somewhere that 80% of women wear the wrong bra size. People always tell me that I look really young, and I always think that's a horribly rude thing to say to someone, but then they say, "Oh, you'll love it when you're 50!" Perhaps, but I'm *not* 50 and hate looking 12, so please stop talking.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

There is a Lady Grace in Coolidge Corner, on maybe Beacon St?? Don't know the exact street, but it is across the street from Pier One and The Paper Source.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

For Heather, Sept2010, and all the other full-figured ladies -- Lane Bryant has a spectacular collection for larger-busted ladies. Their bras start at 36C and go up from there (I think there might be a related site that goes down to 34 - Sarabth mentioned it when this topic came up once before). For years I had no idea that cute bras existed bigger than a D cup, but they do! My tops fit better and I have noticeably less back pain now that I'm in a great bra, too.

I layer sports bras - wearing two keeps things under enough control that I can jog/jump/dance without much discomfort (and I'm past DD -- I've got letters that don't appear on anyone's report card). For ALF, "E" is usually another way of saying "DDD". Or at least, I think that's it.

Swimsuits are another story. Bane of my existence - and for whatever reason, the Lane Bryant intimates collection is sexy and pretty, but their swim collection is frumpy (at least I think so). Can't solve all my problems, I guess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]For Heather, Sept2010, and all the other full-figured ladies -- Lane Bryant has a spectacular collection for larger-busted ladies. Their bras start at 36C and go up from there (I think there might be a related site that goes down to 34 - Sarabth mentioned it when this topic came up once before). For years I had no idea that cute bras existed bigger than a D cup, but they do! My tops fit better and I have noticeably less back pain now that I'm in a great bra, too. I layer sports bras - wearing two keeps things under enough control that I can jog/jump/dance without much discomfort (and I'm past DD -- I've got letters that don't appear on anyone's report card). For ALF, "E" is usually another way of saying "DDD". Or at least, I think that's it. Swimsuits are another story. Bane of my existence - and for whatever reason, the Lane Bryant intimates collection is sexy and pretty, but their swim collection is frumpy (at least I think so). Can't solve all my problems, I guess.
    Posted by Ariel81916[/QUOTE]

Ariel, I didn't really have a good experience with Lane :( Maybe I didn't give them a good chance. I need a strapless bra for a wedding I am in on June 20th and I went there and bought one and it was so uncomfortable! I ended up getting one at Lady Grace. But I will try them again! Thanks for your suggestion! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Such a funny thread!  I definitely think any extreme can be tough to live with.  I'm a DD and like kmt said, I have to buy tops that are 2 sizes too big then they look too big all around!  And I can't wear a lot of the cute clothes that are out there.  I also have upper back pain that won't go away no matter what kind of bra I wear.  I've always wanted to shop at Victoria's Secret, but none of their stuff fits me.  (even their DDs)  I also cannot run for excersize (too painful) and even though I LOVE to dance, I get self conscious bouncing around, so often hold back.  Luckily, my FI loves them!  So that is nice.  But I've also met plenty of men who are more attracted to small-chested women.  I also have relatively straight blond hair and have always wanted curly black hair, so there you go!!
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

Not to minimize your feelings (a little bra humor there! HA!), but VS's quality has gone to H E double hockey sticks in a handbasket.  You aren't missing anything.  I'd recommend Lady Grace to the larger gals, too, they really do have sexy styles, great support, and knowlegable staff.

Yeah, kmt, is she taking care of you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

[QUOTE]I tried on my gown this weekend, and I'll definitely need some help filling out the bust on my dress, LOL! The woman at the bridal shop told me to just buy the cups and they'll sew them in for me.  She told me to go to Target because she knew they sold them there pretty cheap.  They do normally sell them for about $6, but they were completely wiped out and they don't have them online. Anyone know where I can go to find relatively inexpensive cups?
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]
    I have had similar problems. It is not just persons with either smaller or larger breast sizes.  Some strapless bras and "undergarments" just flatten out your breasts. Why not go to Target.com and order them from them?  Most larger JC Penney's stores carry cups/inserts in their lingerie dept. My seamstress also stuffed my bras with old shoulder pads and, once when we were in Scotland (with no stores in sight), I used 1-2 pairs of my DH's socks - but, not the cotton type socks - they don't work.

There was a post about two years ago where a bride needed underarm shields b/c she had an issue with perspiration.  There was a site/manufractuer who carried many types of items which I thought were no longer carried.  I would just google bra cups/inserts.

Cosmogirl, laryan, etc.  does anyone remember that site?  Maybe we should ask BDC to create a list of items we need to find.

Hope this helps. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Thank you for the info!  I never thought to check Lane Bryant.  There is a new line at the dept. stores that makes sexy larger bras... I forget the name... "Jezebel" or something like that... but they are SUPER expensive!!  This is why I buy 3 bras - 2 "n-ude" and 1 black - and wear only those until they fall apart. :)

[QUOTE]For Heather, Sept2010, and all the other full-figured ladies -- Lane Bryant has a spectacular collection for larger-busted ladies. Their bras start at 36C and go up from there (I think there might be a related site that goes down to 34 - Sarabth mentioned it when this topic came up once before). For years I had no idea that cute bras existed bigger than a D cup, but they do! My tops fit better and I have noticeably less back pain now that I'm in a great bra, too. I layer sports bras - wearing two keeps things under enough control that I can jog/jump/dance without much discomfort (and I'm past DD -- I've got letters that don't appear on anyone's report card). For ALF, "E" is usually another way of saying "DDD". Or at least, I think that's it. Swimsuits are another story. Bane of my existence - and for whatever reason, the Lane Bryant intimates collection is sexy and pretty, but their swim collection is frumpy (at least I think so). Can't solve all my problems, I guess.
    Posted by Ariel81916[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Haha, oh the n-ude bras! My FI HATES those, but he doesn't understand that you have to wear them with white shirts!! Also the n-ude underwear! He doesn't seem to understand that you can not wear white underwear with white pants! Silly men!

They seriously won't let us say n-ude?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Haha, oh the n-ude bras! My FI HATES those, but he doesn't understand that you have to wear them with white shirts!! Also the n-ude underwear! He doesn't seem to understand that you can not wear white underwear with white pants! Silly men! They seriously won't let us say n-ude?
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

I wear n-ude bras all the time.  My FI couldn't care less about the color, but he calls them my "bulletproof bras" because there's so much padding in them!  LOL!  He says if anyone ever points a gun at us he's going to throw me in front of him because my bra will protect us.  Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Well my FI is always saying "Wow your boobs are so big." UH ya think???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

That's exactly how I used to be! Black and tan only, because that's all I could get. Being able to buy (off the rack no less!) whatever color and style I want has been a welcome change.

A few times a year (day after Thanksgiving definitely), Lane Bryant has a buy one get one free sale on bras, so they're less than $20 each - not too shabby. I think they're regularly $30-$35-ish, but almost always are buy one, get one 50% off.

Sept is right about the strapless one they have, though - evil, evil undergarment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Do you guys ever get nervous about buying bras online? I feel like shoes and bras and the things I need to try on to make sure they fit right. And I don't really know my bra size, so there's a lot of trial and error.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I've bought bras online and they never ever fit, you really have to to try them on in person, IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

I have to try them on (or take advantage of generous return policies) until I get the size right in a given style/brand, but then I'll buy them online. Same with shoes and a lot of clothes (but never jeans). If I find that a brand is consistent, I'll take advantage of lower prices and better selection online.