Designer dress rental service

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Designer dress rental service

I read about this dress rental website today (http://renttherunway.com), and thought it was a really cool idea:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/technology/09runway.html?em
    You can rent designer dresses for $50-$200, for four days.  It seems like a totally practical idea for bridesmaids--their website says they can coordinate those orders. (e.g. purple silk Alice+Olivia dresses can be rented for $50.  I think that would make happy bridesmaids.)

I haven't used it yet, but I'll be keeping it in mind for the next wedding/special event I attend.  They have really stunning numbers that I would never buy at retail (the dresses retail at $400-2000).  I wish I knew about it before my wedding.

There is no fee to join.  You can sign up for the waiting list on their website, or let me know if you want an invitation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: Designer dress rental service

I love this idea!  I just joined the waiting list.  I don't know when I'll need a dress but it's great to have the options.  Thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

It's a great idea, but I wish they'd let you browse the selections without signing up.  How do I know if I want to be on the wait list?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

yeah, sorry lucy.  If you have an anonymous board email address that you like to use, I can send you an "invitation" so you don't have to wait.  The waiting list thing is annoying.  There's no membership fee though, so it doesn't "cost" anything to check out the selection once you've signed in.

I feel like there is sufficient inventory in the $50-100 rental price range and in my size that I would consider using it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Designer dress rental service:
    [QUOTE]yeah, sorry lucy.  If you have an anonymous board email address that you like to use, I can send you an "invitation" so you don't have to wait.  The waiting list thing is annoying.  There's no membership fee though, so it doesn't "cost" anything to check out the selection once you've signed in. I feel like there is sufficient inventory in the $50-100 rental price range and in my size that I would consider using it
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jasmine.  Since I don't have a specific event in mind, I should probably not take up one of your invitations.  I may check it out in a few months.

It also occurs to me that, before ordering a dress, I would probably have to try on a few by the designer to verify what size I would need (and whether it would be the right length without alterations).  But, it would still be better to go to the store, try a dress on, then go home and rent it instead of buying it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Yeah--I agree Lucy.  They let you order a 2nd size without charge, but sometimes I'm uncertain between 3 sizes.  Plus I sometimes have trouble guessing at fit and how flattering a dress will be from an online picture.  You can order a second or third dress style as back-up for $25 each additional style, but this would make the whole rental prospect add up quickly.  So yeah, it's a bit complicated.  It seems like they thought the rental concept through, but it has its limits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It sure would be awesome to have an actual physical store like that in the area, though!

Have been dying to rent the vacant store in my neighborhood for a consignment shop specializing in bridal.  Maybe this could be a  new department - rentals! 

Aunt Beth, are you interested in changing careers with me? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Thanks for this. I've got three weddings to go to next year, so renting a dress to wear will be so much easier than trying to find one dress that I can wear to all three.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: Designer dress rental service:
    Thanks for this. I've got three weddings to go to next year, so renting a dress to wear will be so much easier than trying to find one dress that I can wear to all three.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Are you sure, pinkkitty?  I mean, JCrew has some lovely dresses (short, not long) that are very pretty, cost $185 and are very appropriate for holiday parties, weddings, cocktail parties, etc.  The only way that wouldn't work would be if someone did a long-dress wedding.  But once you wear a dress for a year or so you feel like you got the $185 worth, no? 

But the concept of renting is really cool - but since my body type is so STUPID I am sure I couldn't find anything that would go OVER my hips that wouldn't fall OFF my bust....  grrrr.