Desperate! Aria Dress!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiceGal. Show NiceGal's posts

Desperate! Aria Dress!

Hi - I'm desperate for help.  I am supposed to wear an Aria bridesmaid dress next weekend and it doesn't fit.  (it's my fault - I know - that's not what this post is about.)  I've called the company and all the showrooms - I'd wear anything in the royal color.  I've also looked on ebay.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Or know someone with a size 16 or above royal blue silk shantung Aria dress to sell?   I've also found companies that claim to be from China that will make the same dress but I don't know if you can trust it.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated.  I can't stop crying and just feel terrible - this friend has been such a wonderful bride and I have let her down.  Thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Desperate! Aria Dress!

NG, sorry you are in a panic and dealing with this.

If you think it's just a size (possibly a size and a half) too small, it can be altered; they are made with extra fabric for just that purpose.  Call around and see who can take you on an emergency basis.  You'll pay extra.

Also, buy a tight shaper and wear it when you go to the seamstress.  I love mine from Vicoria's Secret; it is smooth at the edges; no muffin edge.  It extends from the base of your bra to mid-thigh.  You can shave off a couple of inches quite comfortably, surprisingly enough, with this.  They carry them at the Natick Collection VS, but call ahead to make sure they have them in your size.  Time is of the essence; you've got to get it today and see a seamstress this afternoon or tomorrow.

Buying another dress is probably not possible in this amount of time.  Emergency altering is your best bet.

GL!!

P.S.  It might feel hopeless, but you do have quite a few days to drink a TON of water (8 - 10 full glasses) and eliminate your salt intake.  Also, eat a banana a day for potassium (the anti-salt).  If you do that from now 'til the wedding, you'll be lighter and slimmer, I promise.    Between alterations, the shaper, and the diet changes, you'll make it.  However, about the diet, do NOT crash diet or try to starve yourself - that will not help.  Just add the water and banana and reduce (preferably eliminate) sodium.  You'll get plenty of dietary sodium from what naturally is found in veggies...which is precious little.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Nice, I'm not sure where you are, but the seamstress who made my gown was fabulous.  She used to tell me stories about dress "emergencies".  She makes formal gowns as well, so she may have a fabric that works.  She's located right downtown, by the statehouse.  Her name is Maria (she doesn't know I'm posting this).  Her website www.sabellacouture.comGood luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Please let us know if you think the dress is more than 1 1/2 sizes too small.  We'll have to try to come up with options other than alteration PRONTO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Do you have extra material from your hem or the other girls' dresses? One of my bridesmaids needed an extra panel of fabric that her seamstess added to the sides to make it fit.

I agree with Kar though. On the short term, you might be able to get the right undergarmets and the right diet to make it work. I know it's gross, but you can get colon cleansing pills at GNC. That can help take down some of your belly bulge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like the cleanse with a sun on it at Whole Foods; I've used it twice.  I think it takes longer than 5 days, though, and she doesn't want bathroom issues on Saturday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiceGal. Show NiceGal's posts

You are all so incredibley kind - thank you.  I went to one of those stores where they measure you for undergarments and bought some things that wear like iron - we're about half an inch from zipping it all the way up.  I took the dress to the dry cleaners for them to let it out and they said you can't do it to silk shantung because the holes will show??  Waiting to have someone else look at it but am going to try a more traditional seamstress as well.  I called Aria and left a message for their CA office - they have a sash on their website in the right color that can be shipped immediately.  I'm just concerned about the material now.

Thank you for all the suggestions!  Funny - I just started Weight Watchers two weeks ago - clearly this was the right time!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Hmmm...  The holes are going to be so tiny, I can't imagine anyone will notice them, even if they do show!  But if you can get your hands on the sash, they can use that and still conceal both halves of the old seam.  Alternatively, I bet you can go to almost any fabric store and buy the little bit of fabric you'll need.  If you're w/in 1/2 inch of zipping, you're practically there! 

It really will be okay.  And you sound awfully sweet to be so concerned about it.  Try not to panic now.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In that material, yes, the holes will show a bit, but it is better than not being able to zip it up.  If that is the only alternative, take heart, I know a BM in your position that didn't try her dress on until the wedding day.  And, you guessed it, couldn't zip it up...not even close.  You know what SHE had to do?  A friend had to go buy big diaper safety pins to hold her dress together up the length of the zipper.

Now, don't you feel better about the little thread holes showing on close inspection? :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Yeah, I agree, the little holes in the fabric are really small, totally fine in an emergency situation like this.  Especially since the dress is royal blue (that's a dark blue right?) you probably won't be able to see them at all.  I'd just have them let it out as much as they can and I think you will be fine!

Good luck!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate! Aria Dress!:
    Do you have extra material from your hem or the other girls' dresses? One of my bridesmaids needed an extra panel of fabric that her seamstess added to the sides to make it fit. I agree with Kar though. On the short term, you might be able to get the right undergarmets and the right diet to make it work. I know it's gross, but you can get colon cleansing pills at GNC. That can help take down some of your belly bulge.
    Posted by FriarGirl03

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

In Response to Re: Desperate! Aria Dress!:
    In Response to Re: Desperate! Aria Dress! :
    Posted by LindaOmrsO

I agree with FriarGirl03, try to find extra fabric from the other BM's.  If they had their dresses shortened, maybe they kept the extra material. Again, look at the hem, if it is "double sided", then you could use the part that is the "lining". Have a professional seamstress look at it. It is amazing where they can find extra fabric.  If it has a full skirt, perhaps it might be able to be less full and that part of the fabric could be used to help with adjustment. Can you shorten the dress a little?  Not so it is obvious, unless the Bride agrees. Have the extra fabric put in the side seams.  Your arms will probably cover any "inserts".  Any chance you could get two sash's??  Finally, my cousin has a Bridal Shop, I could always ask her if she carries the dress.  Would need pix and style #.

Good Luck!  At least it wasn't the day of the wedding!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiceGal. Show NiceGal's posts

I just wanted to say thank you to all for all of your suggestions, advice and kindness.  Everything worked out fine!  I purchased some undergarments that wear like iron and pull you in a good size and a half! The dress had fit over my hips - it was the chest area that was difficult.  I went to a second seamstress and they said no problem - they could let it out an inch so I could breathe and will have it in plenty of time before the wedding.

I also want to give a big shout out to Aria - I left them a message in tears.  Within 20 minutes of the store opening, I had a message from them promising I'd have a beautiful dress.  When I called back, they knew the style number, explained about alterations and offered to overnight me additional material.  They could not have been more helpful or soothing - they really helped to calm me down.

I'm drinking tons of water, eating a lot of veggies and bananas!  Also using Splenda a little more often as it has a "cleansing" affect on me!

Thanks again for all of your support and ideas - it really helped!  THANK YOU!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

good news nice gal!!!
    have a great time at the wedding!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!!  Sorry, I missed this when you posted.  It's Sunday night, now so how was it?!  You must have felt and looked fabulous, and now you have a great piece of shapewear to use again.  I wear mine every time I dress up whether I "need" it or not.

Sections
Shortcuts