Did you sell your dress after the wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Did you sell your dress after the wedding?

I bought two dresses at the Running of the Brides.  I might consider selling them, except that they were both altered to fit my 5'1" frame.  I'm going to have to do something with them eventually because closet space is very limited!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

that is my thought as well.  i had mine altered to fit 5'3" and I am a very small size.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You can give it a shot. I wanted to sell mine, just b/c I had no use for it after the wedding and couldn't see dragging it around w/ me for the next 20 years or so.  My research shows that if you are an average or larger size [10 or above] you will have some luck selling your dress. If you are a smaller size, no matter what your height (I'm a small size and tall) you aren't going to get any takers.  As such, my dress is still sitting in my parents' closet.  I'm most likely going to donate it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I see the logic in selling it, but I want to keep mine for sentimental reasons. I know I'll never wear it again and it's just hanging in my basement, but I like going downstairs to do laundry and seeing it there. 

I haven't cleaned or preserved it, though, because I don't see the point. Its existence makes me happy, but I don't need to spend a bunch of money to have it just sit there. 

If you feel like selling it, go for it, especially if you need the cash. You could probably get some hits off craigslist. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I hear ya WPP.  I figure the odds are that the dresses will never be worn ever again so what's the point of paying a few hundred dollars to have them cleaned?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh that "never-to-wear-again-wedding-dress" - what to do with it?
    In Europe we believe, that as long as you keep the dress, your marriage will last.
    I know, this has been true for many couples I know. Some got rid of it, some kept it. Some marriages broke up - some stayed. I know it is superstition (stupidstition, as my son would call it) - but why "knock" it?
    Mine has been in my closet for 42 years. Of course I will never be able to wear it again, but once in a while, I take it out just to look at it. And it makes me smile.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Oh how perfect, I posted something pretty similar just now...has anyone had luck selling their gown?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I probably won't sell my dress (though it hasn't come in yet, so we'll see!).  I *LOVE* it and it was only $800 (not too bad).  Like you girls, I think it will make me happy to keep it.

In terms of luck with selling a dress, I think if it is designer you will have better luck.  My FSIL just got married, she bought a Monique L'huillier (sp?) dress off preownedweddingdresses.com.  It was a $4K dress, I think she got it for like $1800, then after the wedding she sold it for like $800.  So not bad, she wore a designer dress for only $1K cost to her.  She's also tiny (like a size 2), but still was able to sell it because of the designer label I think.

If it is a relatively cheap dress (say less than $1K) I think the chances of finding a buyer are a lot lower.  But that's just based on me, I considered looking for used dresses, but I'd much rather have a new, never worn dress and there were plenty available in my price range.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I really do want to keep it but something is telling me that's ridiculous (oh wait - that's my husband saying that)
    I love looking at it too and didn't get it cleaned because that's where the memories are.  The bottom is filthy from taking pictures outside.

My dress has a lace-type (actually not lace at all, but not sure how to describe it) outer layer.  i had thought that I could use pieces of it for when my children are christened.   of course i don't want to cut it apart, but then at least it would be used again and for a special purpose.  who knows.  i'm sure the longer i keep it, the more attached i will get. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I kept mine but basically out of laziness and some sentimentality.  I'd like to clean and donate it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

What about donating it??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

A lot of people save wedding dresses to make a christening blanket or baby quilt.  So, if you're planning to have kids, that's an idea.  I want to suggest that those of you who want to keep (but not clean) your dresses preserve them for your daughters, but I got talked into trying on my mom's wedding dress when I was home over Christmas, and I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad it didn't fit.  Laughing

Then again, I've seen pictures of your dresses, and they are much prettier than the one my mother work in 1968.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I had planned to sell mine or donate it, but BFF/MOH and I went to a Halloween party a month after the wedding -- we went as bride and MOH.  Well, they had a cosmopolitan fountain at the party, so now my dress is covered in little pink dots!

If Brides Against Breast Cancer will take it uncleaned, they can have it, but I don't want to spend $100 to get it cleaned. 

I suppose I could try to use some spot cleaner on it to see if comes out.  If not, I would probably cut it up and save some material -- maybe for someone's ring bearer pillow....

But, it definitely takes up too much room to plan to keep permanently.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: Did you sell your dress after the wedding?:
    A lot of people save wedding dresses to make a christening blanket or baby quilt.  So, if you're planning to have kids, that's an idea.  I want to suggest that those of you who want to keep (but not clean) your dresses preserve them for your daughters, but I got talked into trying on my mom's wedding dress when I was home over Christmas, and I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad it didn't fit.  Then again, I've seen pictures of your dresses, and they are much prettier than the one my mother work in 1968.
    Posted by lucy7368

Haha, I bet in 30ish years, our daughters would look at our dresses and say, "Oh helllls no!" Styles change. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -RobsMom-. Show -RobsMom-'s posts

I still have mine and would consider selling it.  The marriage was a disaster.  I do know of people who have had their dresses made into christening gowns for their children's baptism.  I'd love to have mine dyed black and turn it into a wardrobe.  I love the dress.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

I still have mine, uncleaned and sitting in a Space Saver bag in the back of the closet! That's as close as it will probably get to being preserved Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I still have mine, uncleaned and sitting in a Space Saver bag in the back of the closet! That's as close as it will probably get to being preserved
    Posted by Txgrl82

That's probably better than taking it somewhere. Those spacesaver bags are amazing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lucy, I'm betting ours will seem just as "ugly" 40 years from now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

this is why I only spent $99 on a dress. I knew I wouldn't have the heart to sell it or donate it. I get really emotionally attached to clothes.

you could always get it altered and dyed so that it could have a new life as a new dress.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

you could always get it altered and dyed so that it could have a new life as a new dress.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

They did that on Project Runway, with some really cool results. I like this idea - Have it made into something you can actually wear (and, most likely, have plenty of fabric left over for a christening blanket, if you want).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've been considering this because I have 4 weddings to go to this summer (so far!) and I'd really like to have my dress shortened to cocktail length and dyed so I could wear that as opposed to buying a new dress.

In Response to Re: Did you sell your dress after the wedding? : They did that on Project Runway, with some really cool results. I like this idea - Have it made into something you can actually wear (and, most likely, have plenty of fabric left over for a christening blanket, if you want).
    Posted by lucy7368

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

A lot of people save wedding dresses to make a christening blanket or baby quilt.  So, if you're planning to have kids, that's an idea.  I want to suggest that those of you who want to keep (but not clean) your dresses preserve them for your daughters, but I got talked into trying on my mom's wedding dress when I was home over Christmas, and I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad it didn't fit.  Then again, I've seen pictures of your dresses, and they are much prettier than the one my mother work in 1968.
    Posted by lucy7368

My mom's dress is actually pretty sweet and I would have worn it, but I tried it on after I had already bought my dress.  I did wear her veil though.  She had a classic style though, from Priscilla of Boston.  Actually, she spent the same on her dress in 1970 something that I did last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

I've been considering this because I have 4 weddings to go to this summer (so far!) and I'd really like to have my dress shortened to cocktail length and dyed so I could wear that as opposed to buying a new dress. In Response to Re: Did you sell your dress after the wedding? :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

That's what I'm planning to do.  Of course, I'll see how I feel after the wedding!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I wish I could dye my dress dark grey and have it shortened - would be so cute!  But someone told me that the fabric on the outer layer is so delicate that it would burn :(  besides, I think it would still look like the dress I wore to my wedding, you know? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't think fabric can burn from being dyed. There are cold-water dyes for such purposes.

and remember, sicne you're shortening, it, you have a lot of fabric left over, so you could use that fabric to alter other parts of the dress, like add cap sleeves or something.

Sections
Shortcuts