Did you sell your dress after the wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Did you sell your dress after the wedding?

I don't think all fabrics can be cold water dyed, particularly synthetics like polyester.  I wanted to dye some polyester flowers and they can't be dyed easily based on my internet research.  (if anyone knows how to, let me know!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

iDye Poly will dye polyester, but you have to do it in a pot on the stove to make sure the water is hot enough. That kind of heat may make the flowers come apart if they're glued.

I know the reason some fabrics can't be dyed is because they're dry clean only and  that means soaking them in hot hot water isn't an option.

Bets to do a test patch first, as always.

As I said, I only spent $99 on my dress, and I figure I'll never wear it again as-is, so what do I have to lose?

In Response to Re: Did you sell your dress after the wedding?:
    I don't think all fabrics can be cold water dyed, particularly synthetics like polyester.  I wanted to dye some polyester flowers and they can't be dyed easily based on my internet research.  (if anyone knows how to, let me know!)
    Posted by trex509

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I can't picture how you'd transform a wedding dress into a regular dress. What would you do with all of the pouf under it? There'd be a *ton* of fabric to hem, and wedding dresses are so heavy. Mine had a lot of beading, a long corset back, and just screamed "wedding." It'd look weird if you tried to change it. 

Lucy, do you have any of those Project Runway pictures? I'd like to see a successful transformation because I can't wrap my head around it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I'm with the camp that can't see how to transform a wedding dress, but then again, mine was also pretty detailed.
    I bought mine on Ebay & planned on getting rid of it right away too.  But DH made the suggestion that he rent his tux again & re-stage some of the wedding pics that I wished we could do over.  I have since scrapped that idea and had tossed out the idea of donating it a few times, every time DH tells me I shouldn't yet. 
    I think he's more attached to it than I am :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Here's the one that won:

But here's the one that lost:

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my dress has no poof to it, so I don't have that issue.

But, if you have a really big poofy dress, the fabric in the skirt alone could be turned into a dress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

That's crazy. The second one was ugly, but I never would have thought they were both wedding dresses. What'd they look like before?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think maybe you're envisioning making extensive alterations to the dress, but really on Project Runway they completely took them apart and made new dresses using the fabric.  Didn't necessarily maintain the beading or any of the traditional bridal stuff.  The women were all divorcées so they didn't mind having their dresses torn up.

Here are some more pics.

Hmmm maybe it'd be possible to modify my second dress, but I think the decoration would be obviously bridal... hmmm... certainly wouldn't be able to sell it after the hack job the seamstress did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Yeah, Fram is right.  If I recall correctly, the dress that won was made entirely out of the bottom layers of the dress.  I don't think any of it was visible during the wedding.

I bet you can find the episode on itunes if you're really curious. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Holy crap, Lucy, dress #1 was a wedding gown? Wow, never would have known....

Fram, gorgeous dress, and you look so cute :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You know, one of the things that little girls love to do is play dress-up.  And if Mom gives you her wedding dress to play with, well, there will be new memories for mom, and great memories for the little one too.  I remember my mom letting me wear the petticoat from her dress in a school play.  Priceless!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

my dress had no poof and was very light - that's why I picked it.  It was simple so it could be transformed.  i like the idea of cutting it up to create something new, but I'd be sad to see it go :(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'll look up the episode. What season was it?

If your dress is lightly and less poufy, that'd be kind of cool to make it into a summer dress or something. You take a little part of your wedding with your whenever you wear it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I think it might be interesting to make a wedding dress into a purse, if you could do it (but I would dye it).  That way, you could quite literally take it with you everywhere.

I believe it was Season 6.  There's also an episode in S5 where the designers had to remake favorite outfits for women who had lost over 100 lbs, and one of them brought her wedding dress.  If I recall correctly, it was an unmitigated disaster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

fram - using the pic you posted I photoshopped you a new dress! hope you like bubble hems! ;)

ps- guess who's bored today!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hahahaha Pink you are hilarious!  I can appreciate a good bubble hem :o)