Discounts on Maggie dresses?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Discounts on Maggie dresses?

I went dress shopping today and I have a question.  I know a lot of  you guys have bought Maggie Sottero wedding dresses.  Did you pay the full retail price for the dress or were you able to get a discount?  I'm curious because I was under the impression that you can often get a discount from the store.  But when I asked, the saleswoman told me that the designer doesn't let the stores discount the prices and if they did, they could pull the line from the store.  Does anyone know if that is true?

If you did get a discount on a Maggie dress, can you recommend the store?  If I find out the saleswoman lied to me, I'm definitely not buying from them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Discounts on Maggie dresses?

Note added -  Madeleine's usually has a lot of off the rack dresses to clear them very close to Thanksgiving- call if interested.

It depends on semantics.  The true discount, brand new perfect, with no special history, sold for 15% to 30%  below the price of anyone else, routinely - does not happen with Maggie's.

But some sell for very little above that rock bottom (like a car invoice level) which is a minimal profit but great volume, and sell for a little more  than that----up to those who charge ridiculously high for the same.
    Details of how big price variation can be, below - skip to bottom for summary. 
         My Maggie was a Grace Kelly, been around a while by then and still around.
           I wanted some factory changes which 1 metro Boston store refused to even ask about saying MS would not do them , so I could only get the standard dress, not what I wanted.  They wanted $920.
           A N of Boston suburb wanted $1050 with no changes (pay to alter after) and estimated $400 for them making the changes.
         Another wanted 1150 after saying that would include the longer in the waist custom cut, new 3/4 sleeves, but they would have to order material for a detachable train and charge me for material and making it. "About $300  more."

Madeleine's Daughter's  basic price plus the charge for Maggie Sottero factory doing a special cut for sleeves and long waist, custom hem, and making a detachable train including the charge for all the extra material,  was 960 and they arranged all the changes on the spot,  no further alterations needed after because when they measured for a custom cut, they measured right!   So their basic price was  cheaper than any stores I tried  and I got everything I wanted for   $960 not up to 1450.

Lots of times the sticker price is not discounted, but very very low profit relative to other stores  AND they will give service and package custom work for  hundreds and hundreds less than others,  and no inconvenience of further alterations appointments.

So even though not discounted any flat percentage below MS standard bottom price,  the fact that some stores charge as little as exact minimum while others add 100 to 400 routinely means -it is worth shopping around. 

My cousin found price variation on her Maggie was $300 between shops, including alterations, on a 700 (she paid) MS, a sister chose a more expensive style but paid 1175 and was quoted to 1650 with just bustling.  I cannot remember range of others I no longer have on my computer. 

Just  last week I went with another cousin (my parents have 17 sibs)  who bought off the rack a Maggie someone had custom ordered with added crystal encrusted long cap sleeves, and a custom wrap (up in Sherbrooke)  for the same price MD asked for the basic dress.   But that was special circumstances,  someone made and paid for a custom order, then changed up, so the shop was selling it.  
         No way they could undercut the basic dress price, and they didn't.  But because of the extra $400 of  the custom crystal cap sleeves and the wrap was thrown in for nothing, sure was a good deal.

Summary
            So no you cannot discount unless online unauthorised dresses  or samples or returns which had some alterations, or a discontinued dress past season.
          But places like Madeleine's Daughter due to their volume and likely lower rent in Portsmouth than Andover MA and Wellesley,  set a lower profit margin and then have no state tax.  Their basic price may be less than the bottom price quoted elsewhere,  because while the store you went to said " nobody discounts"  she did not say, but we add $350 to the basic price, always,  while some stores sell $50 over sticker.

Maggie's are among the few dresses you cannot find discounted even at the online sites  that also have brick and mortar stores where they sell the same dress for a little higher markup.  To try those on, closest I know are Montreal and Mamaroneck NY,  and their prices are usually within $25 of MD.  They are rock bottom over the minimum price.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I got my Maggie dress at a discount because I bought the sample (it's in great condition!). Including the alterations (changing the corset back to a zipper/buttons, making the neckline sweetheart, the hem, & bustle), my total price is less than I saw for just the dress at all other bridal shops I went to. Also, I bought in RI so there is no sales tax.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

It all depends.  I got a Maggie dress.  I googled it for the MSRP.  You should know that fact about your dress.  In my experience, it is hard to get the price much lower than that. 
    I went to one shop (in NY) that was advertising a Maggie Trunk show w/20% off discount on all Maggie dresses ordered that weekend.  I went there, and all of their dresses were marked up 20-30% above the MSRP.  So this "discount" just brought the dress down to the MSRP.  I negotiated with them on price a little bit, and they were willing to go down a shade more to about $50 below the MSRP.  In the end though, I wasn't getting a good vibe from that store and decided to buy it locally.

At Camilla's Bridal in Arlington, and a shop I visited in IL, they quoted me the MSRP.  I didn't try to negotiate further below that, and ended up paying MSRP for my dress.

My size was 2-3 sizes smaller than the smallest sample I tried on, so I figured buying a sample wouldn't save me money in the long run--I would make up any savings in alteration expenses.

In the end, Camilla's did my alterations at a reasonable cost ($140 for bustle, 3-layer hem) and they steamed my dress and veil (at no additional charge) and stored until the wedding.  I felt I got a fair value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh, I see... you can get a deal on the sample dress.  I didn't even ask about that (though I wish she would have suggested it when I was asking about price).

Jasmine, how do you find the MSRP of the dress?  I googled it and didn't find it easily.

Thanks for all the advice!  I'm thinking I might hit Marry & Tux and Madeleine's Daughter, I've heard really good things about both and at least maybe I could save the tax.  Of course the dress I love so far is the most expensive one I tried on!  It is MS Laurel.

Camilla's is really close too, maybe I'll try them as well.  Great price for alterations.  Do you know if they take dresses purchased elsewhere?

Thanks for the advice, guys!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Pretty dress!  Very elegant!

The website that was listing all the Maggie dresses at their MSRP seems to have disappeared.  These two sites sell your dress and list my dress at $100 more than I paid for it.  However, it is possible that the MSRP on my dress has increased by now--I ordered it over a year ago.  At any rate, they should give you some indication of the pricing on your dress:

http://www.weddingshoppeinc.com/pr/Maggie-Sottero-Laurel/13175

http://www.onlineformals.com/product/MAGGIE-LAUREL?meta=FRG&utm_source=GBASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Camilla's does take outside dresses for alterations.  They sell Maggie's so if you like those, it could be worth browsing there.  It's a sweet little shop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

In Response to Re: Discounts on Maggie dresses?:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I see... you can get a deal on the sample dress.  I didn't even ask about that (though I wish she would have suggested it when I was asking about price). Jasmine, how do you find the MSRP of the dress?  I googled it and didn't find it easily. Thanks for all the advice!  I'm thinking I might hit Marry & Tux and Madeleine's Daughter, I've heard really good things about both and at least maybe I could save the tax.  Of course the dress I love so far is the most expensive one I tried on!  It is MS Laurel . Camilla's is really close too, maybe I'll try them as well.  Great price for alterations.  Do you know if they take dresses purchased elsewhere? Thanks for the advice, guys!!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Hi Trex--I wanted to chime in that I bought my dress (Maggie Sottero Coco) at Marry & Tux, and I looooooooooved them. I worked with Tammy.  I live pretty close to Camilla's, so I went one day with my mom to check out the Maggie dresses there, too.  I think some people here have had good experiences at Camilla's, but the sales people weren't very friendly or helpful.  Marry & Tux is worth the drive to Nashua!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks guys!  Looks like the price in the store was pretty good.  <sigh>  Serves me right for looking over my price range!

Scrabulous, I *love* that dress!  I tried in on actually.  Great choice!  I want to go to M&T so much, just gotta find a time when I can get someone to come with me.  Maybe I'll just go by myself.  Do they let you take pics?  Are you getting your alterations done there or somewhere locally?

I actually had the same experience at Camilla's.  But at the time, I didn't have a wedding date and it was busy, so I just figured they didn't take me seriously.  But I was surprised since they get such good reviews.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Two of my friends wore Maggie Sotero's dresses. One got hers off the rack from Marry & Tux. It had just come in that day. Another ordered her dress through 125 Bridal in Plaistow. She called around and found that Chantilly Lace (I think) in Lowell had it for cheaper and got 125 to price match. I guess they usually offer $100 off the veil, but they applied that to her dress and told her she'd half to pay full price for the veil. But her mom made her veil anyway so it didn't matter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

Trex, Tammy actually picked out Coco for me!  I passed right over it the first time because I was 100% convinced I didn't want to wear a strapless dress.  I think that M&T doesn't offer alterations.  I was planning on going to Anahit--closer to home and work, and one of my friends went to her and had a great experience. 

Camilla's didn't even help me get into the dresses.  The two sales people stood outside chatting to each other while I was trying to shimmy into a 100 pound dress.  Ha!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

Oh, and M&T wouldn't let me take pictures until I bought the dress.  They said that was a rule from MS, not them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wow Wag, that is a LONG post for a short question.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I think the service thing may be different strokes.  I actually preferred not sharing the dressing room with a sales person, and I just had them come and help me lace and clip the dresses as necessary.  I found Camilla's to be low key but professional.  They let me browse and then they helped me with the dresses as needed.  I had to change my appointments a couple of times, and they were always accommodating.  I guess I found them easy to work with.  But no, they weren't gushing over the dresses with me, and they didn't help me into them.

I think the no photo rule is ridiculous.  I definitely took pictures at 3 different  stores of me trying on Maggie dresses, with the store's permission.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

[QUOTE]I think the service thing may be different strokes.  I actually preferred not sharing the dressing room with a sales person, and I just had them come and help me lace and clip the dresses as necessary.  I found Camilla's to be low key but professional.  They let me browse and then they helped me with the dresses as needed.  I had to change my appointments a couple of times, and they were always accommodating.  I guess I found them easy to work with.  But no, they weren't gushing over the dresses with me, and they didn't help me into them. I think the no photo rule is ridiculous.  I definitely took pictures at 3 different  stores of me trying on Maggie dresses, with the store's permission.
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

You're right, Jasmine!  It's a strange experience to be hanging out in your underwear with the salesperson!  By the way, I think you had recommended the International String Trio to me awhile back, and I booked them!  I think they now play a weekly (?) show at Ryle's in Cambridge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Scrabulous:
    Oh great!  I think you will be thrilled with the International String Trio.  We just got our video and it was nice to hear them again, in a way.  They did a great job.  The music is just beautiful.  I would totally go hear them at Ryles, if they ever play on a weekend.  Just can't make it out on a weeknight these days. 

And, yes, the help in the dressing room is kind of a mixed bag.  The dresses can be tricky to get on.  I just thought it was interesting, b/c I think the service we (you, me Trex) received at the store might have been similar, but we had different reactions to it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Yes, Jasmine, i think you are right!  Camilla's was the first store I went to and I brought my MOH.  We were clueless as to how to get into the dresses (since they are HUGE) and struggled to cinch them tight to really see how they look.  Thank gooness I brought help!  Like Scrabulous said, the salespeople just went about their business until we asked for help.  I definitely liked my experience at Precious Memories in Malden better.  They gave me a slip and a longline bra (so I was covered up) and then helped me into each dress.  It was so much easier that way! 

And yeah, they let me take pics of the MS dresses, which was really helpful.  I wasn't sure at all which dress I liked best until I saw the pics at home.

I though Anahit was retired!  Oh, I might have to look into her.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]Wow Wag, that is a LONG post for a short question.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

That is right,  and the reason after the top part I indicated people might want to skip details then go to the bottom.

But the last couple of times I have posted brief accounts of how loading with extras for basic prices (good stores)  or starting with higher profit margins then tacking on excessive alt. fees  was the issue with non-discounted lines like Maggie Sottero,  people asked for examples about this  and about that.    Became one of those threads where all the details come out in 8 posts  when it could have been one.

You already know about dresses.   Skip it.    :)  Wag

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

jasmine,  unless there have been whopper price increases in a year, those are good if not the very lowest prices.  My sister's Nyna was at least 160 less.

I bought a Dayle- last of the ice blue when they went to silver,  and because it was made with no train on request, a defaulted order, I paid 475.  They made a point of telling me current sale price was 775 (last year) - which the site says is 899.

So those are  good prices to refer to as do not go over this amount without shopping elsewhere, a better deal is available.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Yeah, whatawag--I agree.  As I mentioned, they quoted $100 more than I spent for my dress, and I was able to get one shop to quote me anotehr $50 below the price I ended up spending.

There was a site that had the MSRPs listed, that seemed accurate in my experience last year, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  :/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I would think about the dress and figure out what you like the most about it- the silhouettes, the details, the ruching, etc. and then look for dresses that feature that in your price range.
    It's so dangerous to look outside your price range. I had this picture of a gown I loved that I carried around with me, thinking that I'd never find a dress I liked as much, but it was totally out of my price range. I ended up finding something I loved for way less than I thought I'd spend. I figured that what I liked about the dress was in my picture was that it was strapless, simple, and empire-waisted. I was able to find that for $99 at DB.

[QUOTE]Thanks guys!  Looks like the price in the store was pretty good.  <sigh />  Serves me right for looking over my price range! Scrabulous, I *love* that dress!  I tried in on actually.  Great choice!  I want to go to M&T so much, just gotta find a time when I can get someone to come with me.  Maybe I'll just go by myself.  Do they let you take pics?  Are you getting your alterations done there or somewhere locally? I actually had the same experience at Camilla's.  But at the time, I didn't have a wedding date and it was busy, so I just figured they didn't take me seriously.  But I was surprised since they get such good reviews.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, whatawag--I agree.  As I mentioned, they quoted $100 more than I spent for my dress, and I was able to get one shop to quote me anotehr $50 below the price I ended up spending. There was a site that had the MSRPs listed, that seemed accurate in my experience last year, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  :/
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

Well that store, like perfect bridal in Mamaronneck NY, TJ's in Joplin MO, others,  has a brick and mortar store.  So they can get the volume to offer really good deals not just for them, but to bring people to their store for up to $50 more for the dress -  you are getting the service for the extra price.   But like any authorize MS dealer, they won't cross the price  minimum.

They are a good barometer for online shoppers- if it does not say it is a sample or a dc'd dress,  and is a whole lot lower - ask.  Because anything that undercuts them by $200 or more either has a story (but still may be a deal)  or it is a pirated or knock-off dress, not a real Maggie.

I was browsing another site, mostly tailoring and dressmakers, quilters.  2 people with alterations shops were talking about customers coming in, so upset- They paid for Maggies, $300 or more (like paid 449) less than RP, then when cheap fabric,  shoddy work, threads hanging, 1 more button than loops!   is seen, they demand their money back from MS.  MS says, what is the number on the ladies' certificates of authenticity?  They have none, but have sales slips .    Not a clue - Too good a deal is usually fraud, even with a real looking label.
         A good reference point site to bookmark.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi Trex,

I bought my maggie at Marry and Tux.  They said the same thing to me that the designer doesn't allow a discount, however I did find that diff stores varied their price of the same dress about $40.  I found that in Stoneham at Gianna's and at Marry and Tux in Nashua, it was the best price and same price at those two stores.  I called a store in Plaistow, NH, Portstmouth, NH, Reading, MA, and they all ranged from $10-$40 higher thant he price at M&T and at Gianna's.  So they do vary a bit.. I save sales tax and got the best price at M&T.

Good luck.  That dress is beautiful!! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Trex and jasmine -

About the dresses we saw that were running 150 to 160 high?  And figured, maybe price increases?

Since Mori Lee is in the next price tier down from MS, and for several years has had similar design features,  I looked up a dress I saw last week shopping with a coz  that was $599 in Sherbrooke .
    http://www.weddingshoppeinc.com/pr/Mori-Lee-2511/22023

It lists it as  $750 ,  but on the detail it notes All three dresses we checked come with a $150 promo code now,  off the next purchase at the store.

It may be that the actual competative price for Laurel and the other dresses ot Madeleine's of M & T is that full $150 less,  and the Wedding Shoppe price is inflated to cover the coupon.

That would be Laurel at 750,  and the Mori Lee 2511   I was checking at  600 dollars.

I checked the other 2 dresses whose prices I knew from MD and Sherbrooke from last week,  and same thing.   Worth checking.  They know many of their competitors do sell the dresses at the higher prices, so that gives them wiggle room to sell high and give you a coupon to buy more stuff.

There are a couple of current and past Mori Lee with similar features  to Laurel.    I know Daals Haverhill carries MoriLee, and Manhattan Bridals of Dedham has MS and Mori Lee.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

That makes sense!  And good tip for trex to look at the Mori Lee's.

It is dangerous to browse out of your price range.  I refused a trip to Kleinfeld's that my mother-in-law offered, because I thought it would be too risky!  The Maggies had already spoiled me, and turned me off to the (lovely) David's Bridal options.  In truth, I think this was mainly because of the corsetting built into the Maggies.  It makes them sooo flattering! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  Thank you *SO* much!  This is all very helpful!  Whatawag, that Mori Lee dress is gorgeous!  I'll have to check them out as well.  I'm definitely still looking at all my options!

Jasmine, I did the same thing!  I was disappointed that I didn't love anything at DB and then I heard about MS on these boards and the dresses are beautiful and not *too* expensive.  And I love the corsett back too since I'm hoping it will mean less cost for alterations (hopefully just a hem and bustle!).  The Laurel is only $150 over what I wanted to spend, but yeah, I really should have asked the saleswoman to stick to my limit.  I really like the dress, but I'm not 100% set on it yet, so definitely still shopping around!

PS.  If I just call a store, do you think they'll tell me their price on the dress over the phone?  I should just call MD and M&T and see if they are less.