Dress cleaned before the wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

Re: Dress cleaned before the wedding?

I got my dress altered/pressed at Mystic Cleaners & Tailors on Broadway in Somerville - they did fantastic work

I had also gotten my mom's wedding dress which is over 50 years old cleaned and preserved there and they once again did a great job and was very careful of the  beading and tulle

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Unless the marks on the dress are noticeable from a distance, don't get it cleaned in advance.  It's not worth taking the chance of damaging it.  No matter how much you pay them, they are not liable if they damage a delicate garment.  If the marks aren't really noticeable, just leave it be. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Alf, and if you do decide it needs to cleaned, call the shop you bought it from and ask them where they send their dresses to be cleaned. If they can't make a recommendation, I know there are a few shops that the brides on here were happy with that you could call and see if they clean gowns, or know of a good cleaner.
    I've seen Marry & Tux mentioned a few times, if you read through old review posts you'll see some other shops mentioned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitten1979. Show kitten1979's posts

Dang. I was afraid of that. The dress has a bit of a musty odor as well because the person that was storing it for me forgot to air it out (long story- I had a leak in my house and couldn't store it safely until everything was repaired which took 3 months so I had someone else keep it safe in their closet for me. I have since rescued my dress back to my lovely, fully repaired closet. lol.)

The spot on the back is pretty small but it's red and noticeable to my eye. My mom insists she can't see it and no one else will either but it's making me nuts knowing it's there. My eye goes right to it everytime I look at it. There's one on the train too but that one is easily concealed and I'm not too worried about it. I should have brought it right back to the dress shop when I noticed it but I was just so excited that I got a $3000 dress that is otherwise in perfect condition, for $700, I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. lol. I was on a bargain hunters high. lol.

Hopefully lots of perfume and some digital camera magic will do the trick the day of, which is still almost 10 months away!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Could you add a Bounce sheet to your closet where the dress is being stored? It should take the smell out, without touching/damaging the dress.

Other uses for Bounce sheets

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If it's a tiny red dot, I'd put a dab of white out on it before I would trust it to the cleaner.  Really, are you going to wear it again?  Touch it up and no one will be the wiser.  Anything on the train is going to be hidden by the bustle at the reception. 

If I could get the smell of cedar mothballs out of a suede and faux fir trimmed coat, you can get must out of a wedding dress. I ended up hanging it in the garage for about 2 weeks.  Just air it out and you'll be fine.  GL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitten1979. Show kitten1979's posts

I like Bounce :-) I always keep a couple in my car to keep it smelling pretty. Don't know why I didn't think of that for the dress! lol.

And yes, I know I'm completely OCD about a small red mark. lol. It's just one of those things that once you see it, it makes you crazy. Like the Seinfeld episode with the cashmere sweater. lol. But you're all right, better a small red dot than a totally ruined dress.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

don't forget that if you get the dress cleaned prior to the wedding that you will also incur that fee - which can be very pricey depending on the detail of the dress - and depending on what you plan to do after the wedding you will probably get it cleaned and preserved which is yet another cost - so guess what in the long run you are not saving on the dress with all the dry cleaning costs involved!  I like the white out idea if the dress is white!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Hi, Kitten.  Nice score on the dress! 

Lots of us would obsess over the dot.  (Heck, I obsess over almost everything!)  How big is the spot, anyway?  Tip of a ballpoint pen?  Pencil eraser?  Stop sign?  ; )

Assuming your mom's being honest, I love Alf's idea.  Or, depending on what made the little mark, chalk may even work. 

Will you post a pic of the gown?  I'd love to see it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i immediately thought of the seinfeld episode

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitten1979. Show kitten1979's posts

Here's a pic of a similar dress. I couldn't get a good one of mine. The only real difference in mine is there's no straps, no satin bow, and theres a chiffon train in the back over the layers. The dot is more of a thin line, think thin pencil mark about 1/2 inch long on the back.

PS. I love that Seinfeld episode. lol. "Is that a dot? Is that a red dot on the sweater?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you are concerned about whiteout, I'd try a pearl colored or some other shimmery nail polish over it. It should hide the mark and blend w/ the beading.  Or see about getting some extra beads or sequins or whatever sewn over that mark, rather than cleaning the dress.

Pretty dress, BTW. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitten1979. Show kitten1979's posts

Thanks ALF. Ya I don't think I could bring myself to put white out on my dress. Plus it's ivory.lol. I was thinking maybe I could work in some beading but it's actually on a strip of chiffon that leads down to the train where there is no beading at all. I wish my camera wasn't so bad so I could get a good picture of the back. maybe I could have them a add a bow there or something to cover it. hmmm...or I could just stop obsessing and get over it. lol. that sounds like a good plan. lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Are you sure it isn't in a location where it's going to be obscured when the dress is bustled?  Maybe add a decorative pin there?  If it's on the back, chances are it isn't going to show up in the bulk of your photos.

Also, I got married in 2007. I still haven't cleaned or sold my dress, even though I planned to do both.  It's still hanging, all stinky and worn, in my parents' closet.  I loved my dress, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Same here, married in 2007, my dress is hanging up, not cleaned, a couple stains on the train.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Gorgeous, Kitten! 

I love my dress so much, I'm sad to think I'll never wear it again.  May instruct DH to bury me in it.  haha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Dress cleaned before the wedding?:
    [QUOTE]Gorgeous, Kitten!  I love my dress so much, I'm sad to think I'll never wear it again.  May instruct DH to bury me in it.  haha
    Posted by Rirlo01[/QUOTE]

Haha!  You are so funny.  I *LOVE* my dress too and I'm sad also that I never get to wear it again.  :(  Wish it wasn't a lace up so I could wear it around the house when no one is home... (I tried once to put it on by myself and it was a pretty funny spectacle. I got it on but I couldn't get it off!)

I need to get my dress cleaned too, but places charge SO much!  Once place I called wanted $285 (granted that included preserving, which I don't want.  I just want it cleaned).    ANother placed wanted $150 just to clean it.  It was $800.  I can't justify paying more than $100 since I never paln to wear it again!!!

Sorry, vent over.  Sorry I'm no help OP!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kitten,
    I like Alf's idea with the white out. But are you a bit crafty? Or do you have a relative or friend that is? If so and since your gown is already beaded - go to Michael's and pick up some white (or whatever color your gown is) beads and sew in a tiny butterfly, flower or whatever suits you over the red stain. It will add something special for pennies w/o ruining your gown.
    I just wish I could do it for you. - Pingo

Ps: Lovely dress btw.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Trex, around the house?  Don't give me any ideas!  :oP

And I'm with everyone whose dress is still dirty.  I couldn't believe how yucky the bottom was after we did pics on the grass.  Oh, and the path from our chapel to the reception site is gravel, so that didn't help!  The prices are just ridiculous, though.  If I win the lottery tonight, I'll make a point of cleaning all our dresses before the end of the month.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Every place my mom called wanted $150 to clean my dress. Seeing as though I only paid $99 for it, I can't see paying that much to clean it.
    But every once in a while I zip it on. One time my friends and I did a mock photo shoot where I pretended to do things like chop wood and climb trees while wearing my dress, just because we were bored. It was a lot of fun.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitten1979. Show kitten1979's posts

Thanks for all the tips ladies!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

Kitten1979, Joining with all the others - your dress is just beautiful. I rely on several "old fashion remedies - yellow soap, etc."  Don't think these would work with the materials that comprise the gown. Think about trying a combination of a new/never used before/really good eraser first. If that doesn't work, then you might want to think about beige/cream  whiteout or pearl nail polish.  I would try them first on a part of the gown that will rarely be seen (part of hem).  And, the suggestion of a small pearl, etc. piece in that spot is also good - or a pin/broach from a family member?  And, finally, beautiful ivory flower/s pinned above the red line. You will start a new wedding trend!!

Hopes this helps.  Mrs. O. Linda O.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I don't know if this would help, but the woman who made my gown actually gave me a bottle of gonzo cleaner to have "just in case" when I picked my dress up.  So, if she trusted her hard work to it, then it may just work with a small spot.  I would definitely test it somewhere unseen, first though.
    http://www.createforless.com/Gonzo+Take-Me-Along+Stain+Remover+1+oz+Blister/pid39373.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse