Dress Fitting Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

Dress Fitting Question

Hi BDC ladies!!
    so i have a question (or really questions!) on dress fitting...
    first - i should say that i bought my dress at Yolanda's in Waltham just before they closed.
    b/c of this - i bought my dress in sample size 10, and while i was there they mentioned that IF i were to order it from the designer i would have probably been a size 4.  (so there is ALOT of fabric to take out)
    the dress bodice has boning, so needless to say i need to find a great dress/pattern maker to literally reconstruct the dress....sigh.
    anyways - the wedding is not until Oct of next year (2011) - so i am curious to know a few things.
    1) when would you recommend i go for my first fitting (x-months before the wedding)
    2) do you HAVE to have the shoes you are wearing the day of the wedding when you go for the first fitting?
    a) if the answer is yes, PLEASE tell me where i can go to find a great selection!!
    3) would you recommend that i take the dress to several shops to get the best price quotes and feedback about how to reconstruct the dress.
    I did get a price quote/info from the fit tech that was at yolanda's - so i still have her business card and number...

thanks so much ladies!!!!

ps - sorry about the italics - not sure what happened here!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Re: Dress Fitting Question

3 & 1)I would first start looking at the different shops for a price quotes.   Plus they would also be best ones to recommend when your 1st fitting should be. 

2)I would recommend finding shoes before your fitting.  I found my shoes at DSW but people also had luck with other shoe stores and online.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hmmm... I'm by no means an expert, but here are my suggestions:

1)  To reconstruct the whole dress, I'd give yourself plenty of time.  Usually they say first fitting about 2 months before the wedding, but for this much work, I might consider going in sooner than that (maybe 3 to 4 months?).  Unless you think your size will fluctuate that is.

2)  They always ask for you to have your wedding shoes at the fitting.  This is because they will be measuring the hem.  I'd definitely suggest you pick something out before the fitting.

2a)  I'm not much help!  I bought dyable shoes at Shoes to Dye For in Natick.  They had a great selection.  I had them dyed fuchsia to match the BM dresses.

3)  For the amount of work you need, yes I'd probably try to get 2-3 quotes before choosing a seamstress.  This way you can see the range of prices, but also get a few opinions on how they will alter the dress.  Taking the bodice in that many sizes is going to be pretty difficult.  You want to make sure you find someone who will do a good job.  Plus you have plenty of time, so take advantage of it.

The only other thing I thought about for you is that you might want to take your dress in during the off season.  You might get better pricing and more attention rather than having it altered during the summer at peak season.  However, again this only works if you are a pretty stable size so that they don't have to alter it again closer to the wedding if you lose or gain weight.

Good luck to you!  Love to see a photo of the dress if you have one!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Minimum - 4 months in advance.  Either have the shoes, or have ones of the same height heels,  and don't change your mind, get those or a half inch higher.

For hemming - although the trend for a couple of years on the "Red Carpet" shows, and designer runway, has been for gowns to sweep along the floor, remember that standard so you (or a dance partner)  do not step on your dress and fall, or tear it (pull the skirt off at waist seam)  is at least  1.5 inches, better 2" off the floor, which to anyone standing or sitting, looks like floor lengthe. 
    So if you are one who is thinking of wearing heels in the ceremony, then maybe flats or slip ons later, you may want to be a full 2 inches off the floor, and above the toe of the shoe  with heels.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

When I tried on my dress for the first time, they brought me shoes to show me what size heels to get so I wouldn't need a hem. I ended up finding mine at DSW, just plain ivory heels from Liz Claiborne. I only needed about a 1.5" heel.

I gave myself about 5 months before my wedding. I had the zipper taken out and a corset put in, so that took some time. If I were in your situation, I'd probably just go to the fit tech whose information you already have. Where she already knows what needs to be done, I would just trust her.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

thanks for all the insight and feedback ladies - this is very helpful!!

trex- i would LOVE to post a photo but i'm afraid the boy might lurk around on these boards...:)

wags - i am worries about heel and dress height - i'm 5'4" and fiance is 6'5".
    i really want a high heel - but the ceremony will be outside (weather permitting of course) so a high, high, heel is not practical for walking on the grass OR for the whole night.  it would be really great if he did not have to bend in 1/2 to kiss me at the ceremony though...sigh.

cicirose - i am def going to check out zappos.com - thanks so much for the suggestions!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I also got my wedding shoes at zappos.  I ordered 3 pairs and returned 2 for free.  No hassle, no cost at all.  I HIGHLY recommend it, too!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Can't say enough about Shoes to Dye For in Natick.  So helpful.

You can't get a heel and walk on grass, but maybe a wedge.  You could get a pair of heels for the reception if that's inside/has dance floor. 

You will also need to have the undergarments you'll wear on the wedding day....if you need a strapless bra, a longline, spanx, or nothing at all. 

Everyone will recommend Anahit in Newton on Watertown Street - and in your case, it's probably a good idea.  Be prepared, though, to have to pay hundreds for your alterations.   Even more if there is a lot of beading.  Be sure to ask her in advance what it will cost.

You'll have to decide if it's worth it.   Sure hope you got a REALLY good deal on your dress!  Good luck! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Anahit is the best of the best, and not super pricey IMO.  She does have a price list of everything she's happy to show you ahead of time.  Book her very early, though; she's cutting back on the number of dresses she does at one time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: Dress Fitting Question:
    ti am worries about heel and dress height - i'm 5'4" and fiance is 6'5". i really want a high heel - but the ceremony will be outside (weather permitting of course) so a high, high, heel is not practical for walking on the grass OR for the whole night.  it would be really great if he did not have to bend in 1/2 to kiss me at the ceremony though...sigh.
    Posted by candice211

I'm 4'11" and DH is 5'11", so I got super high heels and wore them just for the ceremony, then I got really comfy white wedge flip flops from DSW that were about the same height as the heel. They were a lot more comfortable to dance in the rest of the night. 

No one can see your feet in your dress anyway, so it's okay to cheat!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In Response to Re: Dress Fitting Question:
    In Response to Re: Dress Fitting Question : I'm 4'11" and DH is 5'11", so I got super high heels and wore them just for the ceremony, then I got really comfy white wedge flip flops from DSW that were about the same height as the heel. They were a lot more comfortable to dance in the rest of the night.  No one can see your feet in your dress anyway, so it's okay to cheat!
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

RE: GRASS - I have one regret from my wedding...and it's not having my dress hemmed properly.  My reception was on grass and I wish I'd hemmed the dress a bit shorter...  your feet sink in to grass about an inch or two, so my dress was a bit too long and dragged on the ground for several hours.  Needless to say it was filthy...  I recommend hemming it to the length in bare feet!  That way when you are in shoes in the grass, the dress will just barely touch the ground.  Just my two cents for an outdoor ceremony/reception.