Dress in IN! Undergarments?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Dress in IN! Undergarments?

Marry&Tux mailed me a letter saying my dress is in, and I get to try it on and pick it up next Friday! I'm psyched and kind of nervous. I've been looking at it online (Maggie Sotero Sara dress) and I just hope it looks good.

A few undergarment questions though...

A petticoat is the poufy skirt that goes under the dress? Is one necessary? My dress is A-line, if that means anything. Where do I get one?

Also, the dress is strapless and I'm trying to figure out what to do for a bra. The thing is, I'm 5' tall, about 98 lbs, and basically do not have boobs. I'd like to give the illusion that they exist though...any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Dress in IN! Undergarments?

Yes, a petticoat is the poufy slip that goes under your dress.  I would ask the people at the shop what they think or ask the seamstress if you go to one.  My dress is a-line and it didn't need anything underneath; it already has layers of tulle (sp?) under there.  The seamstress said it was fine as is unless I wanted it to be verrry poufy.

For the bra, I went with the corset type of strapless, so it will stay in place all night.  I also had her put cups in too.  It was necessary due to weight loss, but you could probably do one or the other!  The seamstress had at least two options for cups - some that were more pushup-y than others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I had Aline as well and just went with the tulle that was in the dress I did not add an additional petticoat.  I could have but then I would have looked like snowball rather than having a pretty poofy dress if that makes sense.

I went to get measured at Lady Grace and got a strapless bra, it had the regular bra hooks, but it was long and went down to my waist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I have an A-line Maggie Sottero (the Anastasia).  It kind of had a built-in petticoat (underlayer of tulle) that makes the skirt fan out a little bit.  I didn't feel the need to add anything more.  It has a nice shape as is.  So I would definitely recommend that you try on the dress first and take it from there.  The bridal shop probably sells petticoats, or may at least have one for you to try on, if you think it needs an extra layer.

You may want to look into a padded long-line bra.  I've heard the long lines stay in place much better than your average strapless bra.  I had my seamstress sew in cups, but they don't add a lot of volume--they just kind of keep everything in place.

I hope that helps!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Hi Whireld,
    If you think you want more poof, you could try the dress on with petticoats.  You may be able to find a good deal on line too - I got one on Ebay. 
    As for the bra -- I got a strapless that goes to my waist.  It gives the impression of boobs & I bought gel things to "enhance" & help me fill the thing out.  I got my stuff at Vickie's, but I had gift cards.  The Maidenform outlet in Wrentham had everything a bit cheaper.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, a petticoat is necessary to give the dress shape from your waist down.  You can choose how full you want it; they come in different poof levels.  There will be some that say you don't need one at all if you want the dress to hang straight down.  I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my humble one, an A-line dress requires at least some help with shaping. It will make your waist look cinched in, naturally causing your figure to look more like an hour glass (which the A-line naturally lends itself to doing for you making it universally flattering).  It will also help you walk in it gracefully as it keeps the fabric of the gown from swishing between your legs.  (By the way, it's called an "A-line" because of the lines from your waist to the floor.  It's not much of an A without a petticoat...more like an I.)

Here's my A-line with a mid-poof petticoat.  Can you see how it balances my shoulders and hips?  Oh, and about boobs - please ask your seamstress to sew cups in.  Not only is it tug-free, perfectly seamless, and gorgeous, it's cheaper than a quality strapless bra.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

yeah, just to clarify--I am not saying that you don't need a petticoat, just that one was built into my dress.  There were like 5 layers of fabric on the skirt part of the dress and one of them was a stiff tulle that really fans out.  So I didn't need a separate petticoat--that would have been like wearing two petticoats!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wasn't responding to anyone's post here, but instead to reactions to the questions I had regarding my own dress (nearly a year ago now!).  My petticoat was also sewn in.  It didn't come that way, though; my seamstress sewed it in after we decided on how much poof I wanted.  I'm glad she did.  The only thing I had to put on was Spanx and the dress itself.

P.S.  Ebay has lots of petticoats.  However, I let my seamstress order the one she was going to sew in so she could with the materials she wanted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, everyone! This has been very informative. I pick up my dress and see the seamstress this Friday, so I'll ask about all of these things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

you can get a fun colored petticoat too- people won't see it until you start dancing at the reception.

I couldn't wear a bra under my dress as the boning built into the dress pushed me up so much that a bra made them pop right out. I had cups sewn in instead.
    But, since you want that extra oomph, I say go for a strapless with padding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Just to chime back in I didn't have all my undergarments bought until after I tried the dress on when it came in.  When I went dress shopping I used a regular strapless bra and boy shorts. 

After I had tried on my dress I knew that I wanted the longer line bra rather than sewn in cups for a cleaner look through the bodice of my dress.  I also was able to see the dress with the built in petticoat and what an extra one would look like.  I was glad that I waited until I had tried on my dress to buy any of the under things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't have all mine purchased early, either.  I relied 100% on my seamstress's recommendations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I already have a bra and petticoat for my dress.  Can my current bra be sewn into my dress?  Or, is it a special bra?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I think that can be done. I had cups sewn into my dress, so it wasn't a full bra, just the cups. I don't see why it would have to be a special bra.

I already have a bra and petticoat for my dress.  Can my current bra be sewn into my dress?  Or, is it a special bra?
    Posted by Goodness1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Do you think I should just go with the cups that are sewn in?  Or, both?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Do you think I should just go with the cups that are sewn in?  Or, both?
    Posted by Goodness1

It probably depends on your bust size and how comfortable you feel; do you think you'll need the extra support? Maybe your seamstress will have suggestions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That makes sense.  I will ask her. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

WPP, a petticoat is necessary to give the dress shape from your waist down.  You can choose how full you want it; they come in different poof levels.  There will be some that say you don't need one at all if you want the dress to hang straight down.  I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my humble one, an A-line dress requires at least some help with shaping. It will make your waist look cinched in, naturally causing your figure to look more like an hour glass (which the A-line naturally lends itself to doing for you making it universally flattering).  It will also help you walk in it gracefully as it keeps the fabric of the gown from swishing between your legs.  (By the way, it's called an "A-line" because of the lines from your waist to the floor.  It's not much of an A without a petticoat...more like an I.) Here's my A-line with a mid-poof petticoat.  Can you see how it balances my shoulders and hips?  Oh, and about boobs - please ask your seamstress to sew cups in.  Not only is it tug-free, perfectly seamless, and gorgeous, it's cheaper than a quality strapless bra. zoom out edit image resize rotate auto-fix remove red-eye crop add text see much more … resize Tiny (100 x 75) Small (160 x 120) Medium (320 x 240) more options … rotate Left Right Flip Upside-down share  more » Post to website Send email More options... download buy prints print at Target prints at mugs t-shirt playing cards see more … delete MenuController.getInstance().bindHandlers($('zoomedOutMenu'),{"zoomedOutMenu":{"on":"#F7F7F7","off":"#BDBDBD","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_editimage_menu_out":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_resize_out":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_rotate_out":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_share":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"},"btn_order_prints_out":{"on":"#E3E4E6","off":"#F7F7F7","link":"#000000","border":"#000000"}}); FullViewMenuController.getInstance().bindHandlers($('zoomedOutMenu'),'out');                
    Posted by kargiver

kargiver, I know I've said it before, but your dress is so beautiful.  Very original looking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

cups and a bra might be redundant. But WPP is right, the person making your alterations will know what's best.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Exactly.  I don't want it to be too much, but also not enough.  I want to make sure I stay put.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Exactly.  I don't want it to be too much, but also not enough.  I want to make sure I stay put.
    Posted by Goodness1

When's your next fitting? Your wedding is in October, right? You have some time to figure everything out, so you probably don't need to make decisions right away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

WOW, how did you ever remember that Whirled???  HA!

I'm going for my dress fitting in August.  It can wait.  I just wanted to go into that first fitting with some questions and answers for her.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

kargiver, I know I've said it before, but your dress is so beautiful.  Very original looking.
    Posted by Goodness1

Thanks, Hon. :)  I figured it was a good example of an A-line and what a petticoat does for it, at least!

About the bra.  I'd say keep the tags on your bra because your seamstress will sew in cups in the size you want, not use the bra you bought.  And, cups are so much more comfortable, I think, than a bra.  Nothing to tug, always in place, totally seamless...  Definitely see what your seamstress suggests, but I'd say cups and the bra would be overkill if not uncomfortable, too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

WOW, how did you ever remember that Whirled???  HA! I'm going for my dress fitting in August.  It can wait.  I just wanted to go into that first fitting with some questions and answers for her.
    Posted by Goodness1

lol, dates are just something that go into the vault. If someone tells me their birthday, I remember it forever.

Write all of this stuff down and keep it for when you go for your fitting!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

can I tell you my friends birthdays, so you can remind me? j/k, lol ;)
    I can remember family, but never friends, and never if I just hear it once.
    Sorry to go OT, I was just really impressed that you remembered.

lol, dates are just something that go into the vault. If someone tells me their birthday, I remember it forever. Write all of this stuff down and keep it for when you go for your fitting!
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Sections
Shortcuts