Dress is out of reach...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Dress is out of reach...

I haven't gone out dress shopping yet, just browsing online.  I have fallen in love with Enzoani!  Both the Barbados and Bria styles.  I also love a ton of Maggie's.  Maggie is a little more affordable than Enzoani.  Now for the questions... Can anyone think of dresses that are similar to Enzoani, but affordable?  Does anyone know a professional dressmaker who could make a reproduction?  Also, does anyone have experience with http://www.mydress4less.com/ (they have a store in Worcester), http://www.bestbridalprices.com/, http://www.romanticgowns.com/ or http://www.ladykbridalplus/ ?

(I updated the links)

THANK YOU!

Barbados:

Bria:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Dress is out of reach...

Teeny, you have expensive taste in gowns - beautiful!!  I hope you can find what you are looking for in your price range.  I did order a knock off Alfred Angelo online, and the quality was chinsey.  It was $400.  DH hated it from about 10 feet away as he caught sight of it laid out on the bed, but I put it on, anyway.  Buttons fell off as he zipped me up.  It went back.  The place is out of business; I looked for it after I saw your post out of curiousity.  It was aweddinginabox.  (I don't want to write it as an address 'cause it will be a broken link.)

So, all that to say that they did not promote themselves as a knock off site, but they used pictures from the real sites so clearly that's what they were.  Not sure if they are all the same, but be sure to read the return policy carefully.   Many don't have one or might only give you a 50% return.

P.S.  I found the dress I tried at A Wedding in a Box on the BBP site.  Here it's $800, whereas, I paid $400.  I wonder if that means it's a more reliable site with higher quality.  It's the exact same photo!   Dress

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Go shopping first, but don't try on anything out of your budget.  I fell in love with a Jim Hjelm dress online before I went shopping and it was way out of my price range.  The dress I actually bought I absolutely loved and it was nothing like the Jim Hjelm.  You may think you have your heart set on a certain designer but all that can change when you actually put on a dress.

I would steer clear on online knock-offs.  Anything that you can't try on.

ETA: Some designers to check out: Mori Lee, Maggie Sottero, Marys Bridal, Sophia Tolli, Justin Alexander, Casablanca

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

OH NO! KAR, I don't know if I should laugh or not, but that's what I'm afraid of!  I'm sure the dress you ended up with was gorgeous! 

MyDress4Less seems to sell authentic gowns, I imagine they have to if they have an actual store (Elegance by Carbonneau).  I'm pretty sure that Best Bridal Prices is a knockoff store.  Romantic Gowns has an article warning buyers about ebay and other sites, I'm not sure if they're authentic or not though.  Lastly, LadyKBridalPlus states that they make reproductions of designer gowns, they don't hide that fact.  So much to think about!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks DKB, they say that the dress you love may end up looking horrible once you try it on, my plan though was to try them on and then see if I could find a bargain elsewhere, but after hearing Kar's story, I think I may steer clear, plus, you've helped me a ton!

Does anyone know a local dressmaker?  Do you think that would be a more affordable route to go? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Laugh away, Teeny - No worries!  I did get a gown I totally loved from VOWS for $700.  My seamstress told me it was probably worth about $8000.  dkb is right - I had my heart set on that AA dress and was so disappointed it wasn't the one.  Then, I found my dress and it was nothing like I'd imagined...it was so much better!  Have fun and keep an open mind - it's early in your shopping process!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Teeney - are you willing to try Filene's?  They are having the next Running of the Brides in Boston on February 19th.  That's where I got my dress - a $4500 Badgley Mischka for $600.  They have a ton of other high end dresses for a lot less than that.  It's worth checking out, you never know what you will find. 

And you don't have to do the actual "running."  I went on a long lunch break from work around 11:30am and had my dress by 1:00pm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

WOW Kar, BEAUTIFUL!  I have faith it will all work out.  I am totally scatterbrain today, though!  I was going through all of my wedding notes this past weekend and found a mock invitation I typed up, probably right after we got engaged and it had the venue and church that we booked!  I'm a big believer in everything happens for a reason, and that it all works out in the end, as long as you keep faith and believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Teeny, it has been suggested on these boards (I think by PK, but I could be wrong), that you examine the dresses that you really love.  Figure out what it is about the dress that made you fall in love with it - the lace, the rouching, the neckline, etc., and look for another dress that has those same features.  You will likely find something you like just as much in your price range.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

DKB, I forgot all about that!  I heard that they restock the dresses at a certain time after the actual running.  I'd prefer to avoid the mob if I can.  Do you know where I can find more information?  Durr, nevermind, I just rechecked your post, lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

I have another question regarding dresses...what's the difference between white and diamond white?  I have very fair skin and auburn hair, I always assumed white would look better than ivory, but this diamond white keeps tripping me up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Lucy, you're remembering correctly.
    I find that dresses with TONS of details, like the ones you love, Teeny, are expensive because they have so many details. If you pick the detail you like most, like the lace halter top or assymetircal gathered-at-the-hip skirt, you'll have an easier time finding something you love in your price range.

Browse Etsy and see if any of the dresses handmade on there have some of the details you're looking for, then convo them as ask how much to add something, or change something. My friend is getting her dress made-to-order that way.
    something like this looks like it's along the same style you're looking for

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Teeny--I love that first dress too!  So gorgeous--I definitely see the appeal.  Anyway, my dress was a Maggie Sottero, and those are very flattering, so definitely go and try some on.

I had a diamond white gown.  It was the perfect shade for me.  It doesn't register as yellowy the way a lot of ivories do, but it is also not glaringly white (which can look almost blueish, in my opinion).  It is  between white and ivory.  To me, it looks like a very soft white.  Anyway, you will just have to see the color in person.  But I would have chosen white over ivory, if my dress didn't come in diamond white.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Teeny, I want to tell you that "diamond white" sparkles, but... to be honest, I have no idea.  I feel like they throw in the word diamond so they can make it sound fancier and charge more for it.  (But, I can be a pessimist about such things.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I also found this at DB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Brides should not be looking at dresses that are out of your price range.  If you "fall in love" with one, then nothing that you CAN afford will seem good enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Every color, even "white" itself, is different for every manufacturer.

Diamond white is between stark white and ivory (which can be pretty far from what manufacturers label as "white").  You need to hold a piece of the dress right up to your face in good light to see if it washes you out or enhances your coloring.  You won't be able to guess correctly (except by chance).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Teeny, I have similar coloring to what you have. I ended up buying a diamond white dress.  Its' less stark than white. That's the only way I can think to describe it.  It's a soft white. It is def. not ivory.  Ivory is yellowish. Ivory made me look jaundiced.  :-)

I'm w/ cosmo.  Don't look at dresses on line.  Go to a store and tell them what you like [strapless, sleeves, type of neckline, details, etc].  You'll find something.  Never look at or try on dresses outside of your price range.  Murphy's law says that you will fall in love w/ that dress and never find one w/in range that you like.  Good luck. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

I also ended up with something completely different than what I thought I would want so agree that you should try things on in person (and in your budget) and go from there. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

WOWie  Kargiver-  what an amazing dress!  The lace on the upper bodice and arms make it light years better than most strapless.
       I am Impressed!

Bet your DH was too.  WOW.  Love it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

A free wedding magazine came in the mail today and I saw an add for a designer that I thought you might want to check out... Claudine for Alyce Designs.  The prices seem reasonable ($500 - 1,000, per brides.com) and the designs have a few similar elements to the dresses you posted above.

Style #7223 stood out to me as being similar to the first dress you posted. 

Hopefully you can find something that you both LOVE and is within your budget!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

The dress is lovely.  But that model looks like she is ill.  Who gets that skinny?

Go shopping in real life - not on line.  It's more fun to try on beautiful dresses than it is to look at others wearing them.

Have fun!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Nice find CLC!

These also remind me of the dresses you posted.

Style No. 7718

Style No. 7254

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks everyone, I understand what you're saying about not looking at dresses out of your price range, but I have to look at dresses to know what I like, whether or not it looks good on me, that's what the trying on part is for.  Also, if I can find a dressmaker, then maybe I can get all of the aspects of the expensive dresses incorporated into my gown. 

Pink, great advice about Etsy, I will look into that, and I LOVE the dress on DB!

CLC, those dresses are gorgeous too!

Aug07, forgive me if I messed up your name, I couldn't open the link again for some reason, I love Pronovias as well!

Honestly, I'm looking to spend no more than $800 on my dress.  I love the illusion neckline, whether it be halter or straps, and a modified a-line/mermaid silhouette.  I'm a little wary of strapless.  I love lace and beading and tulle and not crazy about satin.

I'm going to do the Running of the Brides, God help me! LOL  If I don't find anything there, I'll start looking into other avenues.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I really encourage people to give DB the benefit of the doubt. You'd be pleasantly surprised at the fit and look of the dresses. I know I was.