Dress timeline...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Dress timeline...

Ok, long of the short, I changed my mind on the original dress. I didn't get charged a thing, yay! They just stopped the order, and the manufacturer hadn't even sent the dress out yet!

Anyway, getting married at the end of 9/10...when do I have to get my dress by?

My mom would like to avoid dress shopping until after the holidays. Is January too late to buy a dress for next September?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Dress timeline...

Hi Liz!  That's great that they didn't charge you!  What changed your mind about the dress?

I did a little dress hunting and I liked a James Clifford at Camilla's in Arlington.  They told me it would take 5 months to come in after ordering it.  If that is about average and if you give a month for alterations, I'd think you'd be fine in January as long as you can pick one out quickly (like order by mid Feb).  But that's just one store.

How exciting!  I can't wait to start dress shopping for real... once we get a date!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

January to the beginning of March will be fine.  In order to make the wedding industry as a whole work, they encourage ordering 8 months to 15 before a wedding.  This means factories can produce advance orders in lean months, and not be overwhelmed, in busy months -  industry stats show about 3/4 ths  of weddings here are early May through early Oct.  grouped in just 5 months.
         The reality they do not tell everyone is that with the exception of complete custom made gowns,  orders are not first come first served.  If a friend orders the same dress as you, same place,  12 months before her wedding, she may wait until 2 months before to get it.  Not because it takes 10 months.  You order at 6 months, you will likely get it 6-8 weeks before your wedding also.
        They go by when a gown is needed, and if they get later orders up through 5 months to the wedding, they "jump the line" so manufacturers do not lose the sales of all those who do not order way in advance.
         So do not worry about the timeline you see recommended, after the holidays is fine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you didn't lose anything for the first dress, Liz!

January is totally fine.  Like whatawag said, you have essentially Jan - March to find it and then March - Sept to get it altered; you need 3 fittings.

No worries!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Great, good to know! I would much rather wait till the holiday rush is over, too.

Trex, the more and more I thought about it, and the more I went back and looked at the dress (on the website) it was not the dress I pictured myself in. I am so happy I said something! This time, I going to go shopping with just my mother and not bring any friends, so I don't have too many opinions!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I think Jan would be OK, but personally I wouldn't wait until March unless you are buying off-the-rack.  Some gown companies charge rush fees for compressed delivery timelines, and you don't want to be dealing with those.  Leave 2 months for your fittings if possible, but def at least 1 month.  (You may need 3 of them in total, and time in between for the seamstress to do her work, and then after the 3rd time to get it pressed.) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jasmine is right - I was assuming "dress in hand" by March, not ordering it.

Good idea to only bring one person.  Too many cooks in the kitchen just puts too much pressure on you to agree with your friends' opinions to save their feelings.  I mean, it really can be hard to say you don't like a dress when 3 of your best friends are telling you that you "have to get that one!"

~kar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Bring someone who will be honest with you, though.  That may or may not be your mother! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, but how hurt would her mom be if she were told to stay home?  I think if Mom wants to be the one to go with you, you have to s ck it up and take her, but be sure to stay true to yourself if you know her to not be as up front as she should be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My mom is the perfect person to bring. Last time I didn't and I ended up buying a dress I didn't like because I got suckered into it by my friends! My mom isn't pushy, and is honest but in a very nice, sweet way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I got engaged end of May and we are getting married in January.. I ordered my dress by July 1 and they said that was enough time.  It was a Maggie Sottero as well which has a longer ordering time then some.  They said mine will be in by end of November, along with bridesmaids dresses who ordered those mid July and are Alfred Angelo.  Gives us all just over a month for alterations which I'm hearing is enough time. I was a little nervous but Marry and Tux assured me that they have never been late with a bride not having her dress and that it was enough time for us.  I would say and extra month to be completely stress free but 6-7 months in advance seems fine. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Dress timeline...:
    My mom is the perfect person to bring. Last time I didn't and I ended up buying a dress I didn't like because I got suckered into it by my friends! My mom isn't pushy, and is honest but in a very nice, sweet way.
    Posted by lizinboston

Awesome!  You'll have a much better time with just her, I know it. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Hi Liz - I'm so glad you didn't get charged to cancel your dress!  I'm glad you are going with your gut and looking for one that really feels like "the one."

I went dress shopping in December for a June wedding and all of the shops were panicking me, telling me I MUST order by January.  Which I did, and had plenty of time for alterations.  So I would say if you order at least 6 months before your wedding you should have plenty of time, but, of course, as other posters said, if you can give yourself some wiggle room that's always nice.  (in the dress as well as ordering the dress) Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Liz, I meant to say - I was engaged in May, ordered a Maggie Sottero with factory changes (made long waisted, with 3/4 instead of cap  sleeves, no train on dress but an added detachable one-  and my June order was promised in 12 weeks, in in 9, with no rush fees. Still under 1000 dollars. No alterations needed.  Ordered through Madeleine's Daughter of Portsmouth NH, 75 min north of downtown Boston.    Married Columbus Day weekend.
        3 sisters, several cousins and other brides I know have ordered in 5 months or less,  only Yolanda's and Chrissy's Andover ever made it sound impossible.  So they ordered what they wanted elsewhere, all came in in time for alterations.

Too many friends' opinions can be troublesome, differing with your self view.  If Mom is a good shopping partner for you, go for it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Yes, Whata, well I have a feeling Yolanda's only said that to "scare" brides into buying right then and there, which is just terrible. So glad they closed.

I am feeling much better now, and now I can really relax over the holidays...although hopefully I won't put on too much "holiday weight" right before I try on gowns, again!

Also, Kar, VOWS moved to Galen St. in Watertown, and it is HUGE now! It is at least 3x the size it used to be. I have driven by it about three times and it looks awesome!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, Whata, well I have a feeling Yolanda's only said that to "scare" brides into buying right then and there, which is just terrible. So glad they closed. I am feeling much better now, and now I can really relax over the holidays...although hopefully I won't put on too much "holiday weight" right before I try on gowns, again!
    Posted by lizinboston

It can always be taken in later. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

My bridal shop scared me and told me to "order my dress right away" as it can take up to 6 or more months for it to come in. 

Yeah, 3 weeks later, I got a call telling me that I HAVE TO COME IN AND GET IT as they can't store it there. 

I think it's safe to say to start looking at new wedding dresses in January and order the one when you find the one. 

And, alterations can take about 4 weeks.  Call around and find a seamstress you like/trust, and ask them how long they average to make alterations to wedding gowns.  It'll also depend on what you need done to it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

4 weeks for alterations?  I had 3 fittings, and my seamstress was way too busy to get them all done in 4 weeks.  I'd say that's on the very short side.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I didn't need anything done to my dress, really.  Just the hem, the bustle, and she added a few pick-ups.  Plus, I called her in advance and asked her exactly when I should bring it in. 

She actually had it done in 3 weeks, but I went in when she told me to come and get it (which was 4 weeks). 

But, when I did go to pick it up, the bustle was still hanging sort of long, so she added a few more pick-ups to the back while I was there waiting.  That took about 20 minutes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

My Maggie Sottero took longer to come in (admittedly, maybe because I had the time), but ordered in Aug, came in December (supposedly due in Jan).  hope that helps!

My shop stored my dress for me--thank goodness--I have NO IDEA where I would have put it in the tiny (400 sq foot) apartment I was sharing with my then-fiance.  I picked up 2 days before my wedding and brought it directly to my parents' hotel room.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Jasmine, good to know. I think I am going to end up getting my gown at Camilla's. They have Maggies and Essence of Australia, my two favorite designers, and they are so close to my hometown! Plus, I have heard such good things about them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Yeah my dress was from there.  I had a great experience & would recommend the shop.  :)  good luck with your search!  They can also order any gown for you from the lines they carry, even if they don't have the sample.  (They actually didn't have a sample of mine...)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

How did you try it on?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

OT - Jasmine - 400 sq foot!!  And I complain about lack of space in my 920 sq. foot condo!!  I hope you have been able to acquire more space since then!

My Maggie Sottero took longer to come in (admittedly, maybe because I had the time), but ordered in Aug, came in December (supposedly due in Jan).  hope that helps! My shop stored my dress for me--thank goodness--I have NO IDEA where I would have put it in the tiny (400 sq foot) apartment I was sharing with my then-fiance.  I picked up 2 days before my wedding and brought it directly to my parents' hotel room.
    Posted by jasmine09

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Heather, you are lucky!! FI and I's is only 750 sq ft!

Sections
Shortcuts