Droopy Lace

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Droopy Lace

A week from today, I'll be a married woman.  Yahoo!  

Before then, though, I'd like to find a way to make the scalloped lace at the top of my dress stand up.  It's not a matter of steaming, it's more like it needs starch.  My seamstress said she was afraid that might discolor it, so she didn't add any.  I can call a dry cleaner and ask, but I'd love your opinions, too.  Maybe somebody else had this issue?  Suggestions?

Thanks!!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Droopy Lace

Here is my dress with its scallopped lace.  Is it similar to yours?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The fact is, sadly, if it droops, it's not tailored properly.  My seamstress sewed in elastic strips that gripped the tops of my arms.  She also used boning on the seams of the lace that forced it to stand up; you can't even fold it over itself if you wanted to.  Both "tricks" are completely invisible and the only thing that makes it stand up by itself no matter how long you wear it or how you move.

Starch will not make a good replacement for these things.  However, all is not lost!  Your best bet will be double sided clothing/fashion tape.  You stick it to your body and then stick the lace to you.  I think you can probably get it at JoAnn's Fabrics. 

The reason she isn't suggesting starch is that it won't work.  Niagra starch is very unlikely to discolor it.  I'd use the fabric tape with starch, and, to be on the safe side, I'd use the starch on a less visible portion on the inside for 24 hours first.

ETA:  Actually, what I'd do first is call to ask if your seamstress will whip in boning and add elastics if the lace grips your shoulders like mine does.  It's a 30 minute job, max.  I'll post a picture of the construction of mine as soon as I can find my charged camera battery.  Undecided

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, I found my battery in my luggage, phew!

My lace had 5 stays.  One long one in the back along the underside of the edge where it buttoned up, 2 each on either side of the sleeve holes (on seams).  The top of each sleeve had an elastic sewn in so it gripped the top of my arm quite tightly.  I think you can see these things in the photos.  Maybe you can take these photos to your seamstress if your lace is similar enough to mine to make it worthwhile.  (The stays, the vertical pieces, look like elastic, but they are actually very stiff.)

Here is the longest stay; it's in the center of the back.  The top of the stay is right at my thumb, and it goes down the whole edge to the top of the silk bodice.

Here's the left arm hole with elastic on the top and two short stays down the sides on the seams:

And, the right one:

I think you can see from the last photo, especially, that she used a strip of elastic that's shorter than the lenght of lace she sewed it into so it pulls/curves around by itself, helping it to stay up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

Toupee tape will also work (similar to the fashion tape that Kargiver mentioned.)  It is available at any wig store and most beauty supply stores.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Thanks, Kar!  You always put so much into your answers.  So sweet.  :)

I'm trying to attach a photo.  This is of the woman who sold me the dress.  

My dress has a lot less lace up top than yours does.  Rather, there's a lot of lace, but the troublemaker is a tiny little strip, just over a quarter inch, that's on its on, above any lining.  I'm not sure it's related to the tailoring, as there are no seams up there under which she could hide boning, and it's strapless and not out around my shoulders, just hugging my torso/bust.  Regardless, I like this tape idea!  

Thank you, too, Scooter!!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, yours is definitely not a tailoring issue - I was thinking it was more along the lines of mine.  If mine had flopped, it would have been a tailoring problem for sure!

There's so little lace, I wonder if anything, including the fashion tape, would keep it standing up.  However, I think it's beautiful the way it is even if it isn't straight up.

Lovely bodice!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Thank you so much, Kar.  :)  This is one of those things I'll let go.  I will ask FI to take notice so this goes on my record.  haha  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awesome!  Definitely, he needs to know it can happen! ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

My dress had lace like that along the top, a little taller than yours. At first I was crazy about it flopping over, but honestly, as soon as you put the dress on, you won't even notice it! It's part of the beauty of the dress, and you will look lovely! I just fixed it a bit before we took formal pictures, and then just let it go. I wouldn't mess with the tape because it might make it look unnatural unless you tape ALL the lace, and that would just be really uncomfortable! :) Best of luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'd be careful with the tape too!  My SIL used it to help keep her strapless dress in place.  It ended up really irritating her skin.  She had some awful raw, red marks on her chest when she took her dress off and she said it was pretty painful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutey - I retract my advice to use tape.  I thought you meant you had a lot of lace that flopped over when I suggested it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Thanks, ladies.  My lace will be au natural!  : )

Sections
Shortcuts