First fitting!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

First fitting!!!

I haven't had an official fitting yet, but when I bought my dress last April (for my June 2009 wedding...) I intentionally got it a size too big b/c I like to eat and my body likes to get curvy without fair warning...so I put the dress on in January only to find that it was WAY too big and looked horrible.

By some grace of God, David's Bridal let me exchange it (going against their 90-day policy) for TWO sizes smaller. Yippee!

Only drawback is that I supposedly won't get the new one until June 6...21 days before the wedding...so I'm praying it comes in earlier. But if all goes well the only thing that will need to be done is to hem it up a little. I'm hoping this has saved me several hundred dollars in alterations, not to mention I feel good in my dress. :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

First fitting!!!

My first fitting isn't until March 7th, but I can't wait! I haven't even put my dress on in months... I hope it zips :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

First fitting!!!

Go fram! That's so exciting - 8 lbs is, what, a size and a half? Awesome!

I had my first fitting at the beginning of the summer last year for a Nov wedding, and I told Anahit that I always lose about 6 lbs over the summer (we have a big garden), and she pinned it really tight. I stressed all season, and at my final fitting my friend said the dreaded, "Can you, uh, suck in?" Yikes, I was as sucked in as I could manage! Well, turns out Anahit saw the goings on and authoritatively told her she was "doing it wrong" - she needed to "hook, hook, hook" the hooks up the sides of the zipper and THEN zip. No problem - it zipped without a hitch. It was one scary moment, though, I'll tell ya!

Congrats on the fun milestone and weight loss - I know you've been working hard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

First fitting!!!

What fun, I loved the fittings because I loved my dress and loved putting it on. Congrats on the weightloss as well. I wish you much more enjoyment as the day apporaches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

First fitting!!!

Kargiver, my wedding is in October. When should I schedule my first fitting?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

First fitting!!!

How exciting! Mine isn't until March 7th too - T :)

I am working out but also freaking out! Would love to lose 8 pounds, good job Fram!

I just made an appt at My Intimacy for a bra :) we shall see!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

First fitting!!!

[Quote]Kargiver, my wedding is in October. When should I schedule my first fitting?[/Quote]

Hey, Goodness, I followed Anahit's schedule suggestion by having my first fitting in June so I'm figuring May ought to be good for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2009Bride2Be. Show 2009Bride2Be's posts

First fitting!!!

Congratulations fran!

I just had my first fitting as well, a few weeks ago. I was terrified it wasn't going to fit or something terrible happened and they ordered the wrong dress. Yes - I'm somewhat of a drama queen with that!

But the dress was beautiful and it fit really well. They too had to hem up the bottom a few inches and shorten the straps but besides that it was perfect. Ok - a little snug but I still have 4 months to lose a few pounds :).

Congrats again- this is such an exciting time!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

First fitting!!!

MAY!? Oh no. I'm still trying to drop some weight. I was hoping that my first fitting could be July. That way, I still had 5 more months. Do you think July is too late?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

First fitting!!!

I feel like all of the threads I have started lately have been so negative, so here is something positive!! I had my first dressing fitting this weekend and it was great! My dress has to be shortened 4 inches, so it was really exciting to see it all pinned up. I finally have an idea how it will look! Not to mention that I have lost 8 lbs since the last time I put it on and that zipper went up a LOT easier this time! Woo hoo!

How are everyone else's dresses coming along?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

First fitting!!!

My bridal shop said 8 weeks before your wedding for the first fitting. No sense in doing it earlier, as most people lose weight either because of stress or trying to lose weight before the wedding. Any earlier fittings will need to be redone.
    Of course if you have specific things you want altered that it doesnt matter your weight, ie you want a neckline converted or your hem if you have your shoes. Then, go for that fitting now to spread out the payments.

My wedding is in June - I havent had my first fittin and wont for several more months.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

First fitting!!!

[Quote]That's what I was thinking, as well. I will go around July/August, but I will call in advance to find out what her schedule will be like. I am already stressing out about losing weight by July![/Quote]

That's good advice to check on the seamstress's workload, but as long as she is all set I think July will be 100% fine. I had my fitting almost exactly 3 months before my May wedding. She didn't schedule me to come back and try it on until the beginning of April.

I'm kind of bummed because I really don't love the shoes I used for my fitting. I hope I can find new ones with the same size heel. Shouldn't be too hard - there are tons with a 2" or 2.5" heel. I had wanted something fun and silver/metallic, but I ended up with silver satin... which is really just gray... which I'm not so sure about... On the plus side, the shoes match my purse perfectly!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

First fitting!!!

I think that's a good idea. I will call and find out what her schedule will be like come July. I think going in May might be a bit too early, in my opinion. We'll see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CityGirl07. Show CityGirl07's posts

First fitting!!!

Goodness - July will be fine. I did mine in August for October wedding! Last fitting was Wednesday before my Saturday wedding. Just make sure the shop knows in advance.

Framerican - if you buy different shoes, bring the first ones with you! I estimated, and my dress ended up being too long because the second pair was lower. I tripped all over it during our first dance. It ended up being kind of funny...but I would avoid it if I could :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

First fitting!!!

That's what I was thinking, as well. I will go around July/August, but I will call in advance to find out what her schedule will be like. I am already stressing out about losing weight by July!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

First fitting!!!

That's what I thought. Thanks for following up, kargiver. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't behind. I know, I know... it's only February. But, there's nothing like making sure all the i's are dotted, and t's are crossed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

First fitting!!!

[Quote]MAY!? Oh no. I'm still trying to drop some weight. I was hoping that my first fitting could be July. That way, I still had 5 more months. Do you think July is too late?[/Quote]

Well, it's basically up to your seamstress and her workload. You'll probably need three fittings. Give your seamstress a call and find out. She may do what Anahit did for me, pin it a bit tight. Of course, then the pressure is really on to skip those chips. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

First fitting!!!

Goodness, July should be OK; I just went by Anahit's schedule she gave me for her particular workload. Maybe she was extra overloaded. She did say she'd be cutting way back this year.

Fram, you should be able to find plenty of other shoes, but remember, you probably don't have to love them so if you can't it will be just as well - they just wont' show that much if at all. Mine show in just one of our photos - I was hiking up the dress to step into the carriage. No worries!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CityGirl07. Show CityGirl07's posts

First fitting!!!

P.S. Congrats on the weight loss!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

First fitting!!!

[Quote]Go fram! That's so exciting - 8 lbs is, what, a size and a half? Awesome!

I had my first fitting at the beginning of the summer last year for a Nov wedding, and I told Anahit that I always lose about 6 lbs over the summer (we have a big garden), and she pinned it really tight. I stressed all season, and at my final fitting my friend said the dreaded, "Can you, uh, suck in?" Yikes, I was as sucked in as I could manage! Well, turns out Anahit saw the goings on and authoritatively told her she was "doing it wrong" - she needed to "hook, hook, hook" the hooks up the sides of the zipper and THEN zip. No problem - it zipped without a hitch. It was one scary moment, though, I'll tell ya!

Congrats on the fun milestone and weight loss - I know you've been working hard.[/Quote]

Thanks for the warm wishes by the way :o) It's an interesting thing being on a diet... Seems like every woman I know is on a diet or worried about her weight so it feels like I can't share my excitement with anyone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JuneBride44. Show JuneBride44's posts

Re: First fitting!!!

[QUOTE]I feel like all of the threads I have started lately have been so negative, so here is something positive!! I had my first dressing fitting this weekend and it was great! My dress has to be shortened 4 inches, so it was really exciting to see it all pinned up. I finally have an idea how it will look! Not to mention that I have lost 8 lbs since the last time I put it on and that zipper went up a LOT easier this time! Woo hoo! How are everyone else's dresses coming along?
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I just had my first wedding dress fitting this week and was a little disappointed.  I have been doing a bridal boot camp for 7 weeks and was hoping that I would need to get my dress taken in and when I went, I didn't.  It fit.  Its not as form fitting as I would have liked, which was hard to acertain when I ordered it, since the sample size was like 5 sizes too big and they had to "clamp" it in the back.  I am hoping to lose some weight before the wedding but I am going back in May to make sure the bustle is ok.  I'm wondering how long I have to loose weight before the wedding...what is the latest they will alter your dress...1 week before?  3 weeks before?  Has anyone needed last minute alterations?

Thanks.  And congrats to your weightloss :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]I just had my first wedding dress fitting this week and was a little disappointed.  I have been doing a bridal boot camp for 7 weeks and was hoping that I would need to get my dress taken in and when I went, I didn't.  It fit.  Its not as form fitting as I would have liked, which was hard to acertain when I ordered it, since the sample size was like 5 sizes too big and they had to "clamp" it in the back.  I am hoping to lose some weight before the wedding but I am going back in May to make sure the bustle is ok.  I'm wondering how long I have to loose weight before the wedding...what is the latest they will alter your dress...1 week before?  3 weeks before?  Has anyone needed last minute alterations? Thanks.  And congrats to your weightloss :)
    Posted by JuneBride44[/QUOTE]

My last fitting is about 1 week prior, my last fitting was in Jan and everything was finished. I just have to go back the week before to see if I need it taken in anymore.    Boot camps can be great for getting in shape and looking better, do you feel better and feel more toned than when you started?  Sometimes you can tone and build muscle and look better, but not necessarily go down in a dress size. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ajuly is right; you can build muscle and not go down a dress size, but to ensure you do, cut more calories (by increasing veggies and decreasing processed sugar and flour) and focus more on aerobics rather than weight training.  Down a dress size is all about fat loss, and that's all about burning more calories than you take in.  Period.  As far as how long you have to do this as an emergency post-last-fitting, it's up to the schedule of the seamstress, but I'm sure they'd fit you in pretty late if you lost more than 5 - 8 lbs since the last fitting.  Less than that won't be worth changing the dress for.

ajuly, is Anahit a goddess, or what?  I can't wait to see pics of you in her work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would go for my last fitting at least 2 weeks before the wedding.  Any later than that and I would be worried.  But it depends on so many factors.  My seamstress is on the other side of Boston; if she were nearby, maybe it would seem OK to go a week before the wedding knowing I could stop by and pick it up any time.  Also don't forget to leave time for getting your dress pressed if that will be necessary.

Good luck!  I'm sure all of that working out is paying off.  Let us know if you need any tips :o)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

So, the last fitting is 2 weeks before the wedding?