Help! I'm totally FREAKING out!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Help! I'm totally FREAKING out!

I have no idea, teeny. Hopefully they will be able to fit it to your satisfaction. if not, you are still welcome to my dress. Just let me know b/c my mom is in total cleaning mode right now [she just retired in Jan] and she's midway through attacking the cellar. The dress is on the first floor, and I think that's next on her agenda.  lol. 

I do love the dress you have on, btw.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Teeny, that is a lovely dress. Do you think, you will come to like it?
    If you are the one in the posted picture, I do see that it is longer on one side.
    Not that I am looking out of proportions, but my right shoulder has always been an inch lower that the left one. So whenever I buy a dress or jacket or such, I have to have it altered. Could that be what you are facing?
    If you don't think you will ever like it, sell it and start looking some more. If it is altered just for you, I believe you will have a hard time to sell it for the price, you want. Not easy to find someone with just the shape of you. So, they will have to alter it as well.
    Good luck to you. On your wedding day, you should feel like a star.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks ALF, you're a doll!

And Pingo, that's the sample dress I initially tried on, I don't have pics of me in the actual dress yet.  David's is holding the dress for me until I go back in May.  I planned on having some type of modesty piece added to the bust in May.  Maybe I should just wait until May to try it on and decide then.  The only thing I've done to it so far is add the bustle.  They are fixing the hem between now and May, it just needs to be lengthend like a half inch on the front/left side.  My mom said she thinks they switched my new dress with the sample dress, but she didn't tell me that until last night, I wish she had said something when we first got it in so we could investigate that more. I don't know, I'm just really frustrated right now, is it normal to have buyer's remorse with your wedding gown?  It's nothing like the dresses I dreamed of, but it is a beautiful dress and I felt awesome in it when I first went dress shopping.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Help! I'm totally FREAKING out!

I hate my dress now!  I went to try it on again last night, because they added the bustle, and I hate it now.  I just don't feel comfortable in it anymore.  All I see is boobs and I'm very self conscious of it now.  The hem was shorter on the left side for some reason, so they are fixing that for me.  I tried it on with my new bra last night, and it still peeks out from the back, the seamstress suggested unhooking a few rows and folding it down.  Well that doesn't give my girls the support they need.  The dress is gorgeous, but I don't feel lovely in it anymore.  Plus, I bought the petite because it was the perfect length if I wore flats.  I bought really pretty sandals to go with it, and when I walk in the dress, all I see is my toes peeking out.  I don't want to see twinkle toes at the altar!  Is this normal to freak out or should I try selling it on Craigslit or PreOwned Wedding Dress dot com?  My wedding is in September, so I still have time to look, and we're getting our taxes back in the next week or two.  If I sell it, I'm hoping to get $600 for it, I paid $650 not including the bustle.  Do you think this is possible?  Ahhhhhhh!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Teeny,

I think freaking out about the dress is pretty normal.  However, only you can decide if you are REALLY unhappy with it, or just stressing out.  I think the dress is gorgeous.  If you are concerned about the neckline, definitely have a modesty piece added.  And they should be able to fix the hem.  Not sure what to do about the bra, maybe investigate other types that come lower in the back?  Or you can always safety pin it to the back to prevent it from showing.

As for selling, if the dress is originally $650, I"m doubtful you'll get $600 for it used.  More like $300-$400.  So I would really think about whether it can be fixed so you love it again or if it will be worth losing the money and buying a new dress.

My only other suggestion is that if you are having the alterations done at David's Bridal (and haven't paid yet), you might want to consider going to a better seamstress.  I"ve heard their alterations dept is not very good, though it does depend on the store you go to.  If you take it to another seamstress, they may be able to address the issues you have better.

anyway, I'm so sorry you are freaking out!  Take a deep breath and it will be okay!  I"ve heard a lot of brides don't like their dress until it is fitted correctly, so maybe that is your issue!  Once it fits right, maybe you will love it again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm not of much help, but just wanted to tell you we have seen many many many posts like this over the years.  It is definitely normal to have buyer's remorse.
    I had some misgivings about my dress last year, so I went online to every designer I could think of, looked at all their dresses, and decided there was not a one I wanted to go try on.  Made me feel much better.
    Regarding the toes, is there a way they could lower the hem?  Or could you buy different shoes?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's normal to have some misgivings and generic buyer's remorse that fades after any big decision is made, but it sounds like you really don't like anything about your dress, now.  So, I think it's reasonable to start looking for another dress if it's financially feasible OR to see if all your concerns can be fixed with this one so that you love it, again.  The neckline and length can most likely be altered to show less cleavage and allow for a short heel and a length that will cover your toes.

Sorry you are dealing with this; I know your budget is super tight so it really stinks to hate your dress.  I think assuming you can get most of your money back is a mistake, though, in all frankness.  If you count on selling it, buy a new one, and then you're not be able to pay your bills for a month because you weren't able to sell this one, it's obviously not the way to go.   If it's not so dire and you CAN still pay your bills if you lose the money on this dress, try on new ones.  If life will go on fairly unperturbed for having lost this money, go for it and don't worry about it.  If not, focus on fixing this one.

If you truly can't possibly afford another one, it still might not be as bad as it seems right now.  The thing is if you loved it before, it's very possible that with the right alterations you'll love it, again. 

If you need a "miracle worker," Anahit is your seamstress (if she's still taking clients  - she might be retired):

Bridal Alterations by Anahit

331 Watertown St
    Newton, MA 02458
    (617) 795-1940

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Teeny!  Curious if you have made any decisions or figured anything out about the dress?  Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

I sincerely thank all of you, I'm not sure if I'm just having a freak out moment, or what, but I'm going to wait until I see the dress again to decide what to do.  That gives me 6 weeks to "sleep on it".  I do think my dress is pretty!  I haven't been feeling that great for the past couple of days, so maybe I'm just feeling more of the blahs than dress hatred.  I'll wait and see.  I am a little stressed about my toes though.  I absolutely hate all of the white flats I've seen, so I went with sandals.  But maybe they aren't the right shoes for the dress.  Is it possible to lengthen this type of gown?  It's satin with a lace overlay.  And I'm not talking length from flats to 3 inch heels, but enough to cover my tootsies.

=)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Ha Trex! Thanks, I just posted!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi, Teeny:  Just wanted to add my 2 cents....I think the dress is gorgeous and you look stunning!

How about finding a pair of pretty flat sandals?   That's what I wore and they were so comfy all day....They weren't flip flops, they were a nice leather with embellishments.  That way, the dress would be long enough for you to feel more comfortable (but truly, people are going to be looking at YOU coming down the aisle, not your feet)!

Try finding a bra with a lower back -- sometimes the "convertible" ones (changes from halter to strapless to regular) have a lower back.

It's very normal to freak out.  When you go back in May, put your hair up and try it on with your veil (or any veil) to get the full effect.

Good luck! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

teeny- I totally understand what you're going through. I bought a strapless bra to go under my dress from David's and it made my b00bs spill out over the top of the dress is a really unflattering way and I couldn't get the strap int he back to go where I wanted.
    So, I had cups sewn into the dress. The bra I'd gotten was too much of a push-up, so it made my dress look more revealing than it actually was. I wish I had the pictures of the with-the-bra and without-the-bra and you'd see what I'm talkign about. Just having cups in the dress made a HUGE difference vs. the actual strapless bra.
    you can always get a low-back half-bustier, or a shaper slip with cups. and if it's still too revealing, a modesty panel is inexpenive to get sewn in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

What a great idea Pink!  I totally forgot about cups!  I'm planning to have cups sewn into my strapless dress so I don't have to wear a bra.  That could totally solve your issues with the back of the dress! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sewn in cups rock!  I was absolutely going to do it until we realized that the material of my dress was heavy enough to take care of my girls by itself, but it was the plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

all good suggestions, but my girls are too big to have cups sewn in...I need support, they're triple D's and I'm honestly considering surgery, though not until after the wedding.  The bra search has been a nightmare, I've tried just about everything.  I brought two to try on with my dress on Friday.  I decided to go with the most comfortable one and maybe I'll just add a modesty piece to the back, to match the front, that way I won't have to fold and tuck and lose support.

Cosmogirl, I didn't buy flip flops for my dress, I'll try to find a picture to post, but they're white leather sandals with a rhinestone center, super pretty and re-wearable!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Teeny - FWIW, I am DD and did just fine with only cups sewn in and no bra... but, of course, you have to do what you are comfortable with!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

http://www.endless.com/Yellow-Box-Womens-Ankle-Sandal/dp/B002UZX974
    this is the link to my shoes

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

hmmm, that's interesting Poppy, the seamstress at David's said that they would offer no support, maybe I should just look for a new seamstress.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOVE the shoes.
    it is very hard to find a good bra when you're a DD, let alone one that won't show under a dress. I'd stil recommend lookign at bustiers and shaping slips with support int hem. I'm a very full C with a very narrow ribcage, and those are the only support things i can wear that will keep my girls in place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Interesting... Maybe try a different seamstress.  My dress was also like yours in that it had thick straps that sat right on the edge of my shoulder (almost off-the-shoulder but not quite).  With sewn-in cups, I will say it is very important that the torso be as snug-fitting as possible without impeding breathing. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if there isn't any boning in your dress, the cups might not help. that's where soemthing like a bustier or a corset slip, which will have boning, would help.
    and I forgot to say that I love your dress!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks Poppy and Pink, that was another issue I had.  I wanted the dress taken in tighter around my waist, instead it goes straight down so it looks like I have no bum.  My mom asked me why I want to show off my bum, I told her I want the dress to fit, so when I talked to the seamstress, the seamstress said that it's just the style of the dress.  I bought a size 10 to accomodate my chest, but the rest of my body is small. 

Pink, where could I find a bustier or corset for a nearly backless dress?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think that's "showing off your bum" - it's wanting to have your figure not be covered up by your dress.  It's called flattering your amazing figure!

I can't recommend Anahit enough...give her a call; she can turn the dress into what you envision.  If she's not retired, that is...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Teeny,

Yeah, based on your comments, I think you need a better seamstress also.  DB seems to be giving you bad advice.  If you had to order a 10 to accommodate your chest, you should have the waist taken in to fit your body, otherwise it will be too loose! 

In case Anahit is retired, here are some others I've found:  (not sure where you live, but one of these 3 should be close to you I think!)

Faye Carraher (she's in Billerica MA)

Phone: 978-667-4525 

Alterations by Violette (www.alterationsbyviolette.com
    She is in Arlington and recommended by my dress shop, Camilla's.  I believe Jasmine used her and loved her work.

Chris O’Hare, Phone:  617-471-7366

She's in Quincy, MA, also gets really good reviews.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I find Macy's has a good selection. but, as Kar said, you might want to get another seamstress's opinion on what would work best.