I feel sexy in my dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

I feel sexy in my dress

So I decided a few months ago that I was going to go to the Running of the Brides on Aug. 21, 2009 for my Sept 2010 wedding.  However, I didn't want to go to the ROTB without having any idea of what I wanted.  So I started dress shopping the last few weeks.  I've been to three places so far and have another appointment tomorrow night, but I think I have found THE dress. 

I have two issues now...

1. The first isn't that bad - The dress that I absolutely love is about $800 over my budget.  My mom, who is my MOH, said that she will be paying for my dress as a gift to me.  I just feel bad going over budget when I know there are other dresses out there.  She keeps saying that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and that I should get any dress that I want...I just feel bad.  I'll have to wait until afer the ROTB to make my decision and see if there is anything more affordable there that compares to that dress.

2. Now this just makes me feel bad for a bunch of other reasons - So I went shopping a few weeks ago and feel in love with THE dress.  It makes me feel absolutely amazing in it.  Its a very classic shape, but it has some unique features that I love, love, love(I haven't seen a dress like it).  I have always been pretty petite so I look much younger than I really am and this dress makes me feel like I'm a woman and that I look my age.  I've shown a few people at work and they can't believe I have that figure.  I feel super sexy in it, but still feel like a classic bride.  Unfortunately, I told my MIL this and she doesn't think I should feel or look sexy on my wedding day.  She said its just a dress that can be found on the red carpet and not a wedding dress.  I'm shocked by this comment and don't know how I feel about this dress anymore.  She completely killed my excitement about it.  
    This dress is simple and clean cut, but it give me a beautiful figure...Now I ask you ladies...Can I not feel sexy on my wedding day?  Can my future husband not think, "Wow, every guy in this room wishes he was me right now"?  Can, for once in my life, people not look at me as "Little Julie" anymore?  I want them to say, "Wow, Little Julie looks hot right now, He's a luck man!"

Is this inappropriate...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: I feel sexy in my dress

It's hard to say without seeing a picture. I have seen some gowns that were, in my opinion, too sexy for some weddings. Too much skin or too slinky. Fine if you're having a cocktail wedding somewhere chic and fancy and there won't be elderly family members there, but not so much if you're going to be hugging your DH's cousins and your grandparents.
    You should feel sexy in your dress. But feeling sexy and looking too sexy for a wedding where your grandparents and in-laws will be is totally different.
    Can you show a picture of the dress?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not look and feel sexy on your wedding day?  That's insane!  Now, I don't like the plunging necklines with b000bs hanging out of a wedding gown, but your dress shows your fabulous figure and makes you feel like the fabulous WOMAN and WIFE you are (will be!).  She's wrong.  Period. (Unless the dress really is revealing and stripperish)

And, if your mom is happy to pay for your dress, let her.  Don't ruin the experience for her.

I felt totally fab in my dress, and it showed off my hour glass figure - I was thrilled about that.  I don't think that made me a whore-y bride.  Feeling sexy for your to-be-husband is exactly how you are SUPPOSED to feel!!!!  I could deck your MIL for saying that to you.  Shame on her, what a suppressed life she's lived feeling guilty for feeling fabulous.  I wonder how much sex your FIL gets...LOL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I felt sexy in my wedding dress, but would agree that a "too sexy" exists.  I loved that my dress was very fitted through the slightly dropped waist and bare around my shoulders (strapless).  However, I declined the bridal shop's offer to cut down the modesty panel behind the corset lacing in the back to show off my bare back a little more.  For me, that would have been too overtly sexy. 

Why don't you show us a picture?

Also, I think it is a little rude regardless of FMIL to insert herself here.  I mean, you should really be the one left to judge if the dress is the right amount of sexy for you. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

My mother and sisters told me that I need to think about two things... #1 What you love since this is a BIG important day and there will be tons of photos so you'll never forget what you wore, and #2 What FI will think when he first sees you in it.

You can find many beautiful dresses but probably not many that will really make him go "WOW."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

I don't think it's inappropriate at all! Please don't take this offensivly but your future MIL sounds like a bit of a prewd. Part of finding a great dress, any dress not just a wedding dress, is that kind of sexy feeling you get when you know you look good. Don't let her comment defer you from this dress especially if you believe it't THE dress. 
       If you have time can you post a picture of the dress?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

What I learned from my dress shopping experience is that once I put "the one" on, I felt like a completely different person.  My dress is a bit form fitting on my hips and waist, and I never thought I wanted a dress like that.  I have an hour glass figure, as well, but my hips aren't the smallest hips in the world.  I didn't think a dress like that would look good on me.  But, right when I put it on, I felt and looked like I always imagined in my wedding dress.  I thought I wanted something that went out more at my hips (dropped waist), but that didn't accentuate my hips. 

Oh, and I didn't tell my FMIL what my dress looks like.  I told her I wanted it to be a "surprise".  He, he, he...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I agree with PK.  You should look and feel sexy in your wedding dress.  However, there are some "wedding" dresses out there that really are more appropriate for the wedding night.

A picture would be most helpful.

Honestly - if I *don't* feel sexy in my dress, I'm not wearing it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Some advice on the ROTB:  I went last year in the evening (not for the mad, morning rush).  My best friend and I went after work, maybe around 5 PM.  It was actually pretty quiet and so we were able to look through ALL the racks and I tried on a bunch of dresses.  It was kind of fun, BUT, I have to say the dresses were in pretty poor condition.  This sale moves around the country now, so the dresses that don't sell are packed up and taken to the next stop.  That means many of them have been abused during the morning madness multiple times.  So the dresses were pretty dirty, some had broken zippers or snags, and were in pretty poor shape.  Granted, we did go at the end of the day, so maybe all the nice ones had been sold already.

Anyway, I found one dress I liked and it was $499, but it was DIRTY.  I talked to the cleaning company at the sale and they said it would cost about $500 to clean it and hem it, coming to a total of $1000!  So it wasn't as cheap as I was hoping it would be.  And the dress had a snag in the silk that couldn't be repaired, so I passed.

So my advice:  check out the ROTB, but be wary of the cost and if you don't find a dress there, definitely buy the dress you fell in love with!  As long as you are happy with it and your mom is willing to pay for it (and she won't be struggling to pay for it), go for it!  I doubt you would have fallen in love with it if it was too inappropriate for your family, right?

Final thought:  don't forget the cost of alterations, which sound like they can run anywhere from $100 to $500 above the cost of the dress.

PS.  I want to see a pic too if you get a chance!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

You absolutely should feel sexy on your wedding - but obviously there is a line between looking/feeling sexy and looking like a tramp!
    My dress was very slinky with quite a low cut back (at the time I was tiny!), but it was also very me and very flattering and certainly not revealing.

As long as it isn't showing side b00b, too much cleavage or your a bare midriff I think it would be fine. And as others have said, this is all variable depending on the style of your wedding.

As for your mohter paying - is it possible to have her pay for the dress and you just pay the additional $800, that way it's a win win?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

You should feel sexy and as special as you can in your wedding dress.  I agree that some wedding dresses can be just over the top and look more like they belong on the red carpet.  You describe the dress as "simple and clean cut" and having a "classic shape" so I have a hard time picturing this dress as one those over the top show all red carpet type dresses.    As for your FMIL, it is far more important what your FI thinks than what his mother thinks. I would bet she and your FI would probably disagree on a lot of clothing choices for you and for him too.  One of my first bosses drilled into my head that it is far easier to get what you want by not asking permission before hand and just doing what you want and that you can always apoligize afterward if you have to.   You might want to try this with your FMIL to keep her from ruining other things that you feel strongly about.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Yes I am now dying to see a picture of this dress!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

WHAT??  She said "you shouldn't feel or look sexy on your wedding day"????  Ridiculous!  Do not listen to this woman.  She must be of a different era or way of thinking... perhaps this is what she was told and she always believed it. 

I agree with the girls that there is (should be) a difference between "in the bedroom" sexy and "out in public" sexy, but I absolutely think you have the right to feel gorgeous and sexy at your wedding!!  I felt very sexy in my dress, and my DH loved it!! 

I'm with everyone else - want a pic!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She must have the long john style bathing suit in her closet for those beach days.

Really, I totally agree with the idea that you can look and feel sexy in anything that makes you feel that way - you don't have to look trampy, and we all know what that looks like.

From what you've described, I can't imagine your dress is trampy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Okay, this is a good example of how on one hand a dress can bee too "sexy" or just fine depending on the venue:

don't know if you remember sarah in this dress at the oscars, but it looked like her b00bs were going to pop out at any minute. Her cups runneth over, if you know what I mean. Hugging relatives she was meeting for the first time in a neckline like that could be uncomfortable.
    Fine for the red carpet, but for a wedding I'd modest up the neckline just a little like the other picture.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

AW, SJP is the cutest thing!  I love her style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I hate to admit it, but I loved that kooky acorn hat she wore to the SATC premiere.

In Response to Re: I feel sexy in my dress:
    [QUOTE]AW, SJP is the cutest thing!  I love her style.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Um, I would say THESE are too sexy...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

That's my wife holding the rose. Hi honey. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

see, open back I don't think is too sexy unless there's not much to the front either, or if you can see crack.
    But the other two, yeah, just... whoa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Okay, that last one is nuts!!  Do you guys watch Say Yes to the Dress?  I see this one style of dress being purchased often that is kind of like the second one, see through on the midriff!  I do NOT get that!  I think it is so ugly and I have no idea who would want to have a see through wedding dress!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I think it was a Pnina Tornai.  I don't get the see through fascination either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I noticed that too!

In Response to Re: I feel sexy in my dress:
    [QUOTE]Okay, that last one is nuts!!  Do you guys watch Say Yes to the Dress?  I see this one style of dress being purchased often that is kind of like the second one, see through on the midriff!  I do NOT get that!  I think it is so ugly and I have no idea who would want to have a see through wedding dress!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Peonie, where did you find these, slutbride.com????  Embarassed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Oh, and here's my belly button for your viewing pleasure.