I got my dress!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

I got my dress!

I have been shopping for my dress for a while, and I was so afraid to commit.  I went to Madelein's Daughter with my Mom a few weekends ago and I found my dress!  The consultant was so helpful, and didn't show us anything outside of our price range.  The dress is a little different than what I thought I wanted, but I love it! 

Here's a link to the dress (will be diamond white):  http://www.allurebridals.com/index.php?id=3&product_id=95

And a link to the belt I got to add some bling! (but in white):  http://www.jlmcouture.com/Lazaro/Bridal/Additional/Style-3853 

Now, my dilemma is what to do when the dress comes in.  I loved the feel of the salon and I am sure they do a fabulous job on alterations - but does anyone know if they are really expensive?  Also, I will be living in Ayer, MA, which is at least an hour from Portsmouth, NH, so I don't think I'll want to be trekking back and forth for fittings.  So maybe I should just pick up the dress and get alterations done closer to home.  Any advice???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: I got my dress!

your dress is beautiful! I would suggest looking for an alterations place in your area. You don't want to be going so far out of your way for every fitting if you can help it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Love the dress!  So beautiful!

I agree with Pink, you should find somewhere closer to you.  Plus, by that time you will be getting closer to your wedding day and will have a million other things to do, so driving back and forth would be so time consuming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June09. Show June09's posts

I got my dress there and I just had them do the alterations. Hemming my dress was complicated and it came out PERFECT! The seamstress I worked with was super nice. I can't remember how much we paid, as my mom paid for the dress and alterations, but I would guess it was less than $500 total. I live in Norwood and work in Watertown, so it was a hike, but I felt it was worth it. I only had to go out there 4 times I think and they were spread out over a few months.

From my experience, I am confident they will do a good job and be worth the drive. However, if you can get good recommendations for a seamstress in the area, it couldn't hurt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Gorgeous dress, twinklie!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Madeleine's Daughter   is my favorite bridal, bar none.  Service and the genuine effort to make sure you are happy, for very reasonable prices- top notch.

They do excellent alterations and particularly great work with re-doing beadwork, lace and embroidery  over seams and  bustling tough multi-layer skirts.
            Consider, though,  that because of their Rte 1 location off 95, and near NH 101,  they do a huge amount of business from non- local people, and expect many will get alterations at home.  So they have a small alterations staff, and limited numbers of appointments, mostly weekdays.   
         If you are rarely free weekdays, and have a dress with simple lines and train, like your beautiful sheath, any convenient good seamstress could meet your needs.  But MD will do excellent work if you can get in there.  You could be traveling 2 hrs round trip for 10 min to fit seams and train, then again for pick-up.

Of course, once you go back again a few times for alterations you might just see this wonderful ice blue or shimmering gold gown that would be great for New Year's  Eve,  or an evening gown for your honeymoon, marked way down and for immediate sale -   mine looked stunning .   Or do it again when going with your sister to get her wedding dress.  Loved that one too.   The place is dangerous!   Hubby rolls his eyes when he hears I am going there with anyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wow, twinklie, that dress is STUNNING!!!  I love it!  I'm so happy for you!

Question:  does anyone know the price range for dresses at MD?  I'm thinking about hitting Mary and Tux one day and if it is nearby, maybe I'll try MD also.  I'm looking for a dress under $1000.  TIA!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

In Response to Re: I got my dress!:
    [QUOTE]Wow, twinklie, that dress is STUNNING!!!  I love it!  I'm so happy for you! Question:  does anyone know the price range for dresses at MD?  I'm thinking about hitting Mary and Tux one day and if it is nearby, maybe I'll try MD also.  I'm looking for a dress under $1000.  TIA!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Hi there!  MD has a big price range, my dress was only $700 ish.  Admittedly I spent almost as much on the belt, rediculous I know, but my frugal mother of all people talked me into it.  We were still under our $1500 budget so she was perhaps even happier than I was about finally having bought the dress! 

However, MD is not really near Marry & Tux.  M&T is in Nashua and MD is in Portsmouth, so about 45 minutes apart.  But if you're coming from really far away they would be close in relative terms! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Thanks everyone!  I'm so excited to have the dress.  Now that I have it I am so much more anxious for the day to get here - and I have 9 months to wait still!  :)  And oh yeah, pretty much the whole wedding to still plan.  I've definitely been slacking!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Twinklie!  I was hoping to hit both at once.  Oh well, still might be worth a day of dress shopping.  See, this woudl be a fun shopping/road trip with my FI, but I feel bad asking my MOH to spend the whole day with me driving from store to store!  Oh well, too bad I can't take him!

Twinklie, when is your date?  I'm 9 mos away too!  All we have so far is the venue and caterer, and maybe a photographer if she will email me back... I feel like I have SO many things to book!  And I need to order a dress soon I think.  I'm planning to do it by mid Dec.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

$500 for alterations is pretty exorbitant unless you had to have a major re-make.

Twinklie, that dress is so beautiful!!!  Slender and poofy at the same time! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Twinklie!!!

I guess I'm having an aborrant experience, but I can't load the dress page.  Did something change?

$500 is on the high end unless, like cos said, you are having major changes made, not just hem, bustle, and bodice like most dresses need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Twinklie!  I was hoping to hit both at once.  Oh well, still might be worth a day of dress shopping.  See, this woudl be a fun shopping/road trip with my FI, but I feel bad asking my MOH to spend the whole day with me driving from store to store!  Oh well, too bad I can't take him! Twinklie, when is your date?  I'm 9 mos away too!  All we have so far is the venue and caterer, and maybe a photographer if she will email me back... I feel like I have SO many things to book!  And I need to order a dress soon I think.  I'm planning to do it by mid Dec.

My date is 8/14/10, whats yours???  I have had my my venue booked for a while --which includes DJ (2 options), flowers, cake, just have to meet with them and confirm--and I have my dress.  Other than that nothing is booked.  We met with one photographer who was highly reccommended on these boards and I am tempted to just book him!  I feel sort of behind on all of my wedding planning, but we're both just so busy. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]Congrats, Twinklie!!! I guess I'm having an aborrant experience, but I can't load the dress page.  Did something change? $500 is on the high end unless, like cos said, you are having major changes made, not just hem, bustle, and bodice like most dresses need.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I know I have problems with links on here sometimes.  You can go to the Allure bridals page, and search style 8526.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from flaxen. Show flaxen's posts

In Response to I got my dress!:
    [QUOTE]  Now, my dilemma is what to do when the dress comes in.  I loved the feel of the salon and I am sure they do a fabulous job on alterations - but does anyone know if they are really expensive?  Also, I will be living in Ayer, MA, which is at least an hour from Portsmouth, NH, so I don't think I'll want to be trekking back and forth for fittings.  So maybe I should just pick up the dress and get alterations done closer to home.  Any advice???
    Posted by twinklie12[/QUOTE]

Chantilly Place in Lowell did my Vera Wang - they were great.  Not too far from Ayer.  

http://chantillyplace.net/index.php

good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'm 8/21/2010!  A week after you!  Ugh, I'm so behind!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's a really great deal. having things included saves a lot of time!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I got my dress! : My date is 8/14/10, whats yours???  I have had my my venue booked for a while --which includes DJ (2 options), flowers, cake, just have to meet with them and confirm--and I have my dress.  Other than that nothing is booked.  We met with one photographer who was highly reccommended on these boards and I am tempted to just book him!  I feel sort of behind on all of my wedding planning, but we're both just so busy. 
    Posted by twinklie12[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]that's a really great deal. having things included saves a lot of time! In Response to Re: I got my dress! :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Yes compared to other venues mine seems to be a bargain - don't get me wrong, it will still be a pretty penny with 150 guests, but a lot less than some other places I've seen.  It's just a hotel ballroom, nothing crazy, but it does the trick and it's near my church.  I am also thankful that it narrows down my vendor search consdierably.  I always thought I would have my wedding planned in 3 weeks because I love this stuff, but I'm just so pressed for time lately I have been putting things off.  My MOH is so confused that I am being so slow, she doesn't know what happened to me!   :) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]I'm 8/21/2010!  A week after you!  Ugh, I'm so behind!!

Ooh, I almost picked 8/21!  Where are you having everything?  What do you have done so far?  I feel worried about being behind sometimes, but you only have to worry if you're really picky.  If not, something will work out! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to I got my dress! : Chantilly Place in Lowell did my Vera Wang - they were great.  Not too far from Ayer.   http://chantillyplace.net/index.php good luck!
    Posted by flaxen[/QUOTE]

I actually did some dress shopping at Chantilly Place, just didn't have any luck there.  What kind of alterations did you need and about how much was it (if you don't mind sharing)?  I am thinking I will need a hem, bustle, and the bodice fitted a fair amount.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

twinklie, where is your reception going to be?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats Twinklie - that dress is gorgeous!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]twinklie, where is your reception going to be?
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Hi Liz - our reception will be at the Westford Regency.