I'm trying to sell my never-worn dress!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I'm trying to sell my never-worn dress!

Hello Ladies,

I have a street size 0/2 Christos wedding dress that was altered for my 34B bust and 5'2" height with 3" shoes. I have never worn the dress and want to sell it. Since the size is so petit, I haven't had much luck on preownedweddingdress.com or consignment shops. There's not much material so the dress cannot be taken out. I figured I would try this forum out.

I bought the dress for $1,700 from Vows and had $900 worth of alterations to it. I'm asking $1,000 or best offer.
    The dress is an strapless empire waisted A-line with lace appliqué and light beading. There is a slight asymmetrical design on neckline, and there is the same detail work on hemline with thin band finish. It has a small chapel train. You can see pictures here: http://www.bridepower.com/Christos/Aline/680/3410/gd.aspx

Please contact me if you have any questions or are interested in the dress.
    Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: I'm trying to sell my never-worn dress!

Not to be a downer, but it's being sold without having been altered at VOWS for $700.  Good luck, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I saw that, but unless the bride is 6' tall, you have to have the dress taken up and you can't do that from the bottom up because of the applique. You have to detach the bust portion from the skirt and have it taken up from there while keeping the aline...hence the $900.00 in alterations. I figured if someone out there was my height, I would save them the trouble.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just sayin' that if your asking price is too high you won't get any bites.  Just trying to help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'd just list it on as many pre-owned sites as possible. My friend got her dress from preownedweddingdresses.com

it just takes a while for a person who just happens to be of similar size or smaller to be looking for your exact dress and come across the site it's listed on. you'll probably have more inquiries once/if the dress is discontinued by the designer. that's what drove my friend to the pre-owned sites.

good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I appreciate both your responses, it's just a bit discouraging when I've been trying to sell it since 2007. I've had over 50 people either inquire or try to try it on, but no luck. It's been on three different websites or store sites, and I've been told by many dress shop owners that the price is actually cheaper than I should be asking because all the hard work is already done, but there aren't many shorties out there who have my taste apparently. I'll just have to donate it, I can't stand to look at it any longer in my closet.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think you got bad advice from the seamstress - no one wants to pay for your alterations even if it means the dress fits them perfectly.  A seamstress is going to value her work more than anyone else and, therefore, tell you it's worth more than it might be to a bride buying a second hand dress to save as much money as possible, not to help you recoup your cost.  Not trying to be a debbie downer, just giving you a lesson in "worth."  It's relative, not absolute.  Worth is as much in the eye of the payer as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostoncathy1. Show bostoncathy1's posts

Have you thought about at this point just donating the dress? You may get a tax write off, but you would also be helping someone who is unable to spend that kind of money. It's been 3 years. It may be time to just let it go. I know the VOWs store does donate to the Military Wives. Again, I understand you spent the money, but it has been 3 years.

Either way, Good Luck!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

By altering it, you've limited the number of people who can fit into it. Only short people who are either your size or smaller can fit into it.  Also, you can only alter a dress so much before you start to lose the proportions.  Once the dress is altered, the price should go down substantially.

Also, if you've been trying to unload it for over 3 years, your best bet is to bring it to a consignment shop and hope for the best. The better shops won't even take the dress if it's over X number of years old, so I'd drop it off sooner rather than later.  Personally, I think your best bet is to donate the dress and take the tax write off. 

Even if it's the most beautiful dress in the world, most brides want to have the bridal shop experience of trying on a bunch of dresses /w their friends and family, not stopping by someone's house to try on a dress.  You probably are not going to have much luck trying to sell it on your own, and would be best served by cutting your losses by bringing it to a consignment shop or donating it. GL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My dress cost (between price tag and alterations) about $1100.  It's 100% silk and expertly tailored, with a gorgeous long train and lovely French bustle.  It's got lacy long sleeves that are perfect for Fall.  I'd ask $200 and expect to get no more than $100 for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

I actually have a never worn dress as well and know I would never get what I paid (with no alterations) and just figured I would donate it - I know the breast cancer society you can donate the gown and as mentioned in other messages there are other organizations as well - it stinks to take the loss but if you can donate the gown to a worthy cause and make somoene else happy sometimes that is worth the loss of money! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

It's a beautiful dress.  Good luck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

and if you donate the dress, it's not a loss. as long as you get a receipt from whomever you donate it to, you can take it as atax write off.