Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out

So, last evening I went in for my final fitting. Really it was a try on more than a fitting, since my dress is finished and I just needed to try it on and have them demonstrate the bustle. I've had something niggling at me for a while now and this morning I woke up and know what it is. I think the train is too long & I want to have them shorten it. It's a cathedral length and I think I have always imagined a sweep. I imagine that this would mean that at 15 days to go they would have to cut it, re-hem the back, & redo the bustle points. Not cheap and not a lot of time to accomplish.

What do you ladies think, is this an unreasonable thing to try to do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out

What's reasonable in this case is 100% personal opinion, and the only one that counts is yours.  I'd say get it the way you want it, though, you only have one chance to wear your gown.  You think you're the first to say it's too long, please shorten it?  Probably not. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

How you feel in your dress is important.  I think you should call the shop asap and let them know how you're feeling and find out how much time they need and if this can be done in time.  The hem shouldn't be too much trouble, but redoing the bustle may be time consuming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They will have time.  Whether it will be easy to fit in (no pun intended) is the question.  If they have plenty of time to make those changes, they will charge you the normal fee.  If you need it rushed, it will cost more.  If you can afford it, go for it either way.  No matter what it costs, it will be a fraction of the dress price and other alteration costs so why not.  And, it's a teensy weensy fraction of your whole wedding cost to make this change to your dress.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

So not unreasonable.  You're only going to wear your dress once, so it should be exactly what you want!

Call the shop, and see what they can do, how long it will take, and what it will cost you.  If you still feel like it's worth it to you, then do it.  There's no question that they'll have the time to do it, they just might charge you a little more if they need to rush.  However, I would recommend going in and putting it on for awhile again, just to be sure that this is what is bothering you about the dress.

Kar makes an excellent point...you're spending thousands on your wedding.  If you have to spend a few hundred on extra alterations, it's just a tiny fraction of the whole thing.  And it's definitely worth it to feel 100% happy with your dress.

Do you happen to have a picture of or link to the dress?  I'd love to see it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I think as long as you are REALLY sure...b/c that's a big change, isnt' it? I can't remmeber if cathedral is longer than chapel, but either way both are much longer than sweep and that can't be reversed.

But if you're 100% sure that's what you want then I dont think that is unreasonable at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ams has a good point - cathedral to sweep?  Are you sure you don't want chapel instead?  Talk to your seamstress and see what she recommends for your size, the dress, and the church style.  Not to try to talk you out of sweep, but like ams said, that's a big style change. 

(You can remember which is longer by the size of the churches that lend their names to the train.  Cathedrals have much longer aisles than chapels so the cathedral length is the longer one.  A cathedral length train might hang out the back of a chapel while the bride is at the alter.  Remember Lady Di's?)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Wait! I totally meant to say Chapel NOT cathedral. So it would be a chapel to sweep.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, OK - you won't regret that, I'm sure.  Going from the longest to the shortest possible train is a scary last minute change!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

wow that's a long train (hanging out the church!)!

i had a sweep train w/ a chapel length veil. Aww I miss my wedding dress already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, cathedral can be very long!  Do you remember Lady Di's dress that cascaded down those red steps for what seemed like a mile?  I was pretty young when they got married; it's about the only thing I remember about the wedding.

Mine was chapel length, and I felt like it dragged behind me pretty far.  My MOH had her work cut out for her before the wedding, too, keeping it under control while it wasn't bustled.  That's the look I was going for, though, so I loved it that way.  I miss my dress, too!  I wish I could wear it, again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Yes, Kar, that's part of it, I just don't feel entirely confortable with needing, or that I'm the type of personality who needs , someone to constantly attend to the train of my dress.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

Do you like the way the dress looks now when its bustled?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

In Response to Re: Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out:
    Do you like the way the dress looks now when its bustled?
    Posted by Jessica9379

Actually, not really. It's a very gauzy dress in chiffon, so there just seems to be a big soft clump of material on the back, not structured and architectural like a satin dress would be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Reader, it will only be down to fuss with between the time you get dressed through the ceremony (and any formal photos thereafter).  After that, it will be bustled and out of the way.  My MOH was happy to hold it up here and there to get me around.  She would have been by my side during that time anyway.  Maybe you don't really want to shorten it for the look, but because you think it will be easier to deal with? If that's the case, I'd strongly urge you to put up with the bit of extra hassle to have the dress look the way you want.  I can't really figure out what you want from your posts...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Jessica makes a good point too, the bustle may look different. But chapel to sweep isn't a dramatic change (like cathedral to sweep would be!). Your wedding is August 1, right? You'd have time to do it and if you're sure about it, then go for it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I say DO IT! Hello, I changed my whole reception site. You have to do what makes you 100% happy on your special day! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

Go for it!!!  I am 100% behind you in this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

HAHA! Kar, I think that's why I'm here...I don't know what I want either! I can say that talking about it here with you folks is helping me clarify what my issues seem to be. Still not sure what I'll do. One of my maids has her final fitting on Saturday, if I haven't decided by then I'll go in with her and talk to the shop about it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

HAHA! Kar, I think that's why I'm here...I don't know what I want either! I can say that talking about it here with you folks is helping me clarify what my issues seem to be. Still not sure what I'll do. One of my maids has her final fitting on Saturday, if I haven't decided by then I'll go in with her and talk to the shop about it.
    Posted by Reader001

Mm, that's what I figured - glad to be a sounding board!!  I just read that you do not like your bustle.  Another item to put in the "get it fixed" column. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Posted by Reader001

Mm, that's what I figured - glad to be a sounding board!!  I just read that you do not like your bustle.  Another item to put in the "get it fixed" column. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I thought I would give you folks an update, since you were so helpful in encouraging me to make the changes on my dress. Your encouragement prompted me to talk to my bridesmaids about it and they, too, urged me to take action if that is what I needed to do.

So, Saturday I went with my bridesmaid to her final fitting and spoke to the owner of the shop and said I had realized that I wasn't happy with the train and I would like to make it shorter. Could she do it? She blinked, took a deep breath and said, "Absolutely, we can do that if that's what you want." She helped me try on the dress again and we took a look at it. My dress is chiffon overlay on satin and they had to create a separate bustle for the under and overskirts because the chiffon is so fragile. Interestingly, she had left the underskirt bustle in, so when I put on the dress, I had a long chiffon train and no trailing satin train. I loved it! I realized that what I didn't like wasn't the length, but the heaviness. So, long story short, she's going to remove the underskirt train, hem it even and leave the chiffon train alone. This way, as she put it, "we still have all the drama and none of the weight." She was FABULOUS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!!  So glad you figured out what you really want and have a seamstress talented enough to make it happen.  Thanks for the update.  It sounds lovely and very dramatic.  Can't wait to see pics.  Be sure to post before and after. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Congrats!  It sounds beautiful.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Reader, that's great!  So happy to hear that you were able to get exactly what you want!

Quick question:  I need to have a bridesmaid dress altered.  It sounds like the seamstress you used was wonderful.  Can you post her info so I can look her up?

Thank you!

Sections
Shortcuts