Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Re: Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out

Hi trex, I got my dress from Precious Memories in Malden and had all my alterations done there. I have no idea if they take outside alterations. If you need a recommendation for a seamstress, check Yelp. That's where I found my independant seamstress.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

So, long story short, she's going to remove the underskirt train, hem it even and leave the chiffon train alone. This way, as she put it, "we still have all the drama and none of the weight." She was FABULOUS!   Reader 001
    I was looking at wedding dresses with a cousin, and 2 brides came by in Maggie Sottero gowns I had not seen in shops or online in the past.  They were underlayers hemmed, overlayer chapel trains.  The shop owner said - the latest thing this year's collections from Sottero, and at a few Bridal shows for the trade.   Au Courant - and as the back views on the gowns I later looked up  show,  a very beautiful effect.
    http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=Divinity&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=96&style=J1262HC

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=Sheridan&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=96&style=S5207&moreOptions=1
    I wanted the train only for the 15 minute ceremony, and pictures, and on my gown every possible bustling added to my caboose a big pouf of lace I hated.  In 2006 I could only find a detachable train on a couple of gowns I did not like, but this year I have seen them at a formal wear shop, several bridal lines,  even at David's Bridal!  I had to have my dress altered at the factory for body length and sleeves, so I asked for a detachable train, just the lace layer, and they said YES.    Loved it.

You will love your lighter train.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

For any brides who can related to whatawag's "caboose" bustle issue, you can get a French style bustle which pulls the gown up in 3 layers starting pretty far beneath your bumm.  I have a serious ski jump so that's what I did, and it kept the bustle material far beneath the problem area.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Kar, is a ski jump a large bum? Cause if it is, then I have one too....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I have no bum at all, wish I did though....consider yourselves lucky!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out:
    [QUOTE]Kar, is a ski jump a large bum? Cause if it is, then I have one too....
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, even when I was a size 0 in high school and college I had junk in the trunk, but they didn't call it that in 1990. ;)  The French bustle was very flattering as it kept the material in one layer until about 1/2 way down my thigh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last Minute Dress Change -? Help Me Figure This Out : Oh, yeah, even when I was a size 0 in high school and college I had junk in the trunk, but they didn't call it that in 1990. ;)  The French bustle was very flattering as it kept the material in one layer until about 1/2 way down my thigh.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I love the french bustle! It is classy and beautiful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]For any brides who can related to whatawag's "caboose" bustle issue, you can get a French style bustle which pulls the gown up in 3 layers starting pretty far beneath your bumm.  I have a serious ski jump so that's what I did, and it kept the bustle material far beneath the problem area.

I generally prefer French bustles, but somehow, between the not very full skirt from high almost Empire waist and the 2 layers, the lace  material  in even the low bustle not only did not hang in the neat almost gusset like fold, but ended up looking like a series of ski moguls. With my butte the top one.  I am very long waisted (2 inches longer than standard for height) and the advantage is even though I am pretty muscular in shoulders and bottom from hiking and biking in the mountains and skiing, there is an illusion of a smaller waist.  But though I loved the gown (MS Grace Kelly) I think not having a fitted waist gave it this series of bumps look, caboose, then at just above knee level the bustle.
         I gave the gown to a young cousin, and she wanted to keep the train on, but bustle it .  She has a small high rear - French bustle looked great on her.    Maybe I'm just defective. :(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whata, you're not defective, your seamstress could probably have done better.  But, no matter, I'm sure it looked WAY better than you imagine it did.  We always exaggerate our perceived flaws in our minds!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Whatawag, it's so funny that what I ended up arriving at with my dress is what is now coming into fashion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Reader, please post pictures when you have them.  I can't WAIT to see it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Well we don't have long to wait for the photos! Ten more days!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]Whatawag, it's so funny that what I ended up arriving at with my dress is what is now coming into fashion.
    Posted by Reader001[/QUOTE]

That's why I posted it, I thought you would get a kick out of it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I am SO cutting edge! HAHA!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]Whata, you're not defective, your seamstress could probably have done better.  But, no matter, I'm sure it looked WAY better than you imagine it did.  We always exaggerate our perceived flaws in our minds!

Kargiver - It was the bridal shop seamstress, before I ordered.  So I simply ordered it hemmed to what would be just over my shoes, and ordered a detachable train. 

All I had to do was unhook the train where it was attached like an overskirt (at back empire waist)  and hang it up.  Keaving the dress with no bustle- right choice for me. 
         I generally do not mind my body being muscular, I mean I do not look like some of those body builders.  Just the exercise I get doing things I like to do - and it beats a flabby one.
         I was really offended when after I was engaged, several co-workers ( I was there a short time) and several people in bridal shops, etc, asked me how much weight I planned to lose before the wedding!   NONE.  What's wrong with me now?  And hearing things like - oh, you could stand to lose 20 or 25 pounds.  I wanted to scream!  
         I am in the middle of my weight for height and build, and I belong there!

Funny - I was seriously ill  1 1/2 years after, lost weight - and when co-workers who had said that needing to lose weight stuff saw me (still 20 pounds under when I returned to work) all they did was push food and tell be how awful I looked. How skinny.  How skeletal ( ribs showed through sweaters!)    Wanted to stick out my tongue or spit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

People had the audacity to ask you how much weight you wanted to lose before the wedding?!?!  What's WRONG with them?  Even if they thought you were over weight, mistakenly, why would they think it's OK to say something like that?

I don't understand.  I'm glad you have a great, healthy body and a positive body image to go along with it, whatawag.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]People had the audacity to ask you how much weight you wanted to lose before the wedding?!?!  What's WRONG with them?  Even if they thought you were over weight, mistakenly, why would they think it's OK to say something like that? ...Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Why is it that evangelists eager to spread their message never realize that they usually start by telling you that everything you have ever believed or been taught by your religion and family  is completely wrong?  Yet wonder why you do not happily invite them in to share their Good News  and message of LOVE?

Medical personnel, sports trainers and dieticians, and people in the fashion/ clothing   business are obsessed with a bizarre standard of thin is in, even when they are promoting UN- healthiness.  (I was working as a PT/OT in a medical rehab center at the time.)

I value being healthy and active.

There is also some very unconscious racial stereotyping.
    Like many of the Arctic peoples I come from, I have very broad shoulders, and a high barrel chest rib cage (large chamber for holding and warming air breathed in.  So when I borrow hubby's 42 jacket, no shoulder pads, it fits there, but I could carry my purse in the extra space at my waist.  Which means in a medical smock, or a loose sweater, I do not look like a size zero - 4.
    But as my mom complained when I told her over the phone, well, 8 people congratulated me today on getting engaged and six of them said I need to lose 20 pounds or so - How can they say someone 5'6 with a 25" waist is FAT?  (Actually it was 26" but I was not quibbling.)

What nerve.  In their spare time they all probably touch the bellies of pregnant women without permission, and ask women married 6 months why they are not pregnant yet - don't you want kids?  You are not getting any Younger, you know!
    People are truly rude sometimes. All with a smile and the best intentions.  Of course.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All with a smile, anyway.  I don't think they actually use their brain enough to actually have intentions, good or bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Ok ladies...well if you are "fat" then I must be obese. Being a "healthy" size 12 and all...so let's stop talking about it...ok? :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think it's odd that anyone would say anything to anyone about losing or gaining weight unless they were their physician and were worried about their health.

I think weight in general is a subject people just shouldn't touch, even when they think they're being complimentary. If one of the women I work with tells me one more time "Why aren't you having any cake? If I had your figure I'd have two pieces!" or the like, I don't know if I'll be able to hold my tongue any longer. Unless it appears that I am starving myself, why should anyone else care or notice wether or not I have cake?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Pink, I can totally relate with the food in the office issue.  My place is terrible.  I watch what I eat to a point, but overall I'm one of those "everything in moderation" people.  I usually bring my own food in, and I don't often eat cake or other sweets that people bring in.

But, on the rare occasion that I do decide to splurge, everyone just has to say something!  "Oh, KMT, you're eating cake, you're going to get fat!" or "everybody look!  KMT is eating cake!  Can you believe it?"  STFU people, and let me eat my cake in peace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's odd that anyone would say anything to anyone about losing or gaining weight unless they were their physician and were worried about their health. I think weight in general is a subject people just shouldn't touch, even when they think they're being complimentary. If one of the women I work with tells me one more time "Why aren't you having any cake? If I had your figure I'd have two pieces!" or the like, I don't know if I'll be able to hold my tongue any longer. Unless it appears that I am starving myself, why should anyone else care or notice wether or not I have cake?
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.  Some people don't realize that it is just as offensive telling someone they are too thin. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

YOU ARE ALL MAKING ME FEEL FAT!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

[QUOTE]YOU ARE ALL MAKING ME FEEL FAT!!!!!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]
    Now, now. Only you can make you feel fat.

;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Reader, I know I know. But I swear I am the only one on these boards that is a size 12. I just know it. Which is fine. I am totally fine with it, it is just my body type. But I feel out-numbered!