Maternity Bridesmaid Dresses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Maternity Bridesmaid Dresses

The last of my bridesmaids got measured yesterday for their dresses (http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/d421/ in Espresso with Cotton Candy trim). On her way to the dress shop, she got a call back from her doctor confirming that she is indeed pregnant! Unfortunately, the dress I picked out isn't going to look good on a pregnant woman because it's a drop waist and there's a seam where the baby would be. The person from the dress store said that it the price of the alterations to make it look good would be as much as buying a whole new dress.

So I have 3 options:
    * Get a maternity dress from the same designer and have it altered to add the pink trim. My problem with this option is that both styles that the company offers have a nu-georgette skirt and I don't think it's going to look good with the pink cuff at the bottom. (http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/M423/) Of course, the dress place doesn't even have this dress in stock, so I can't tell if it's just an overlay that can be removed or if it's really a whole different fabric. The dress place said that it comes in full-length, but I can't see that on the website.
    * Just let the pregnant girl look different (my least favorite option).
    * Go with a completely new designer and dress that comes in both regular and maternity sizes for everyone. I picked out this one in chanel and mink: http://barijay.com/style.php?coll=barijay&showid=244 but I have no idea if the dress place even carries this designer.

I have no idea what to do. I feel bad switching all the girls up but I don't want the pregnant girl to stick out too much. I'm worried how the alterations will come out. We're not ordering this dress for another six weeks in case something happens (at her request, not mine) and she's okay with paying the rush shipping if she ends up not needing the maternity dress. I guess maternity dresses come in faster so we don't need rush shipping if everything goes smoothly.

Side note: I hate that I'm this upset about these dresses! It's just clothes, right, so who cares?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: Maternity Bridesmaid Dresses

I would go with a maternity dress from the same designer.  You can mix and match colors as well as the fabrics with that designer, so the dress should be able to look close if not exact to the rest of the girls.  If you and the girls really like your current dress pick, why go through the stress of finding a new dress? 

Even if the dress looks a bit different, it's not that big of a deal.  My MOH had a different style dress than my other BMs and it didn't look weird.  Plus, with the espresso color, if the chiffon overlay isn't removable, I don't think you will really be able to tell...at least not in pictures.

Good luck and don't stress!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would also go with the maternity dress from the same designer.  I acknowledge that it's your least fav option, but the fact is she'll look different, anyway.  No getting around that, and I don't think anyone will really make note of the dress being what's different about her. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

If you haven't already ordered the dresses and you don't want the BM's to look different, I would vote for going with a new dress that has both regular and maternity options. Either that or a dress that can more easily be altered into a maternity dress.

How far along will she be at the wedding? If it's her first, she might not start showing much for quite a while and may be able to get a larger size in a non maternity style.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I think that if you are that concerned that the girls all look similar I would go for a different dress company.  If you have spent hours and hours to find this dress and everyone is ready to order then I guess it depends if you want to put more work into finding new dresses.  I can see your concerns about one person who is not your MOH looking different.  This is my opinion, but I think pictures would look weird if all the girls had the pink on their dress and then there is one with out that is not your MOH.  But in the end, it really is not that big of an issue...
      I am in a wedding in June and 1 woman will be very pregnant, one will have just had a baby.  The dress the bride picked would not work for maternity, so the solution was to have everyone in a different dress. I am the MOH so I picked the one I wanted and the other women picked one that looked good on a fuller figure.  We are doing Aria,  another color can be added to almost all the dresses. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

I agree with others.  First, think about how far along she'll be.  One of my BMs will be 5 months pregnant at my wedding. When we got the dresses, she was trying but not yet pregnant.  She just ordered it a few sizes too big (and I got a belly-friendly dress hoping she'd be pregnant for my wedding) and it will work.  If she won't be super-pregnant, just ordering a few sizes too big may work (though I recognize you said you don't think so).

If she definitely needs another dress and you want them to look alike, I'd go for all different dresses unless it took you forever to decide on the one you like and everyone loves it but hates the other.  The maternity version of the dress you chose is not at all similar, as you said, so it will look very different.

Good luck and congrats to you and your friend. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, oh my, oh my!
    You are getting married, that is important. - Is the look of your BMs really that important to you? I understand, you want everyone look the same, but on the other hand, this pregnant woman will be a lovely sight, what life and marriage is all about. Find a dress from the same designer in the maternity version - and don't fret too much, that she will look different. No matter what you dress her in - she WILL look different from the rest of the girls.
    This is really not a big thing to worry about. You will be the center of attention and no one will notice. If they do, everyone will be happy for the both of you.

Sections
Shortcuts