Mother of the Bride dresses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Mother of the Bride dresses

Hi ladies,

Anyone know of good places for MOB dresses, besides David's.  I know about Helene's in E. Prov but any other places I may be overlooking in the Attleboro/Providence area?

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Mother of the Bride dresses

Botticelli is also in (or near) Providence.  It's plus size, so not sure if that works for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My mom got her MOB dresses for both of my sisters' weddings at Macy's.  I would think that any place that sells nice dresses would work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

We are going to Providence Place as she found one at Nordstrom's she wants to look for.  Probably will check out Macy's and I will look into Party Express in Fall River.  Thanks for the suggestions!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

If your Mom is one of the fashionable figure set who does not like the typical sometimes matronly look of many MOB lines, any place that sells the Jasmine Jade  Mothers' line is good.  Although when you look at pics most have so so jackets, when you open files, without the jackets some are great evening dresses.  So, jacket for church, wow at the reception.

My mother is a barf at Champagne dowdy MOB dress type - the kind her SIL love.  But they did well for her at Jasmine Jade - in fact since there was a great sale, a few of us young thirty's got evening  NYE and other there.  Like Me.

Also, Alfred Angelo has a reasonably priced Mothers' line of mix an match, many styles tops, many styles skirts.  Works for lots of people.  Look on website for local shops. 

And Alfred Angelo has loads and loads of color choices for Mothers, most lines are limited colors for MOB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

WOW!! Thanks!  Yes my mom desperately doesn't want to look matronly.  She did try on a Jasmine Jade dress and liked it but was having one of those days thinking she looked like a heafer so I'm hoping to get her back in one again soon.  She is very petite so some dresses are built more for tall women so she is procrastinating.  But I want her to start looking as my FMIL started asking what my mom is wearing.  Hopefully we can find something this weekend or narrow down a style that she really likes.  Again, thanks for the pictures I will show her Sat when she comes over!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

In Response to Re: Mother of the Bride dresses:
    If you are willing to go a little further out, Party Dress Express in Fall River typically has tons of MOB dresses. My mom has had luck there and also Macy's like lucy mentioned.
    Posted by cicirose

Thanks for the suggestion Cici!  I went to Party Dress Express Sunday with my Mom after having no luck at Macy's or Nordstroms in Prov and we found her dress!  It is so great there, they are so nice and helpful.  She is so excited and found it without having to spend hundreds.  Thanks a bunch!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My mom got her dress where I got mine, at Marry&Tux in Nashua, NH. I think my MIL got her dress at Macy's. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

My Mom and MIL both got their dresses at Nordstrom.  They received many compliments and they are generally much cheaper than going to a bridal store.  The online selection is bigger - FYI

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

my mom had great luck @ Lord & Taylor.  she hated the dresses @ the bridal shops as they all had jackets, heavy beading (that made her feel as though she was going to fall over) and chiffon material..

i think half the time you make out better @ the major department stores as opposed to the bridal shops.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Hi  Laryan!  :)

The only time bridal shops have a clear advantage is when you are shopping out of season,  or with medium large ( but not plus) and plus sizes, and very petite.  The fact that  they will order a dress you like in any size 1 to 28, or even 32 and higher.

When you want to wear a dress early in the season, you are shopping (leaving time for alterations) before the clothes come in.

I do think for many,  mainstream Dept stores have a greater selection. I have most often done best with them for dresses to wear in a bridal party, that I really have worn again.   
        But try shopping for a 2 or a 14 - 16,  they are gone weeks after dresses come in.  Maybe merchandising has changed - the last few years,  stores do not seem to get more stock to replace sold out sizes, as they used to.
    And the fashionable figures they stock for are 20 to 30 yr olds, with that slender, high bust smaller hip figure.   Let's face it, a woman old enough to have a child marry may be only 35.   But a lot more often she is 45 to 55+.

I miss the old Jordan Marsh  and Filenes, where racks were replenished with popular sizes so at least much of a season's stock was in all sizes for 8 to 10 weeks.

And most Plus size stores are Dreadful  for special occasion dresses.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I miss Jordan Marsh & Filene's as well :(

Was hoping the *original* filene's basement would be back open by now!  :( :(  
    Nothing gives me a greater rush than the thrill of digging..and finding..a real bargain.  If it was on "automatic markdown"??  even better!

What I really and truly miss are the blueberry muffins @ Jordan Marsh! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Congratulations to you and your mother for finding the right dress! Buying a decent dress these days is so difficult.
    I always hate it when someone say "mother of the bride dress". It is so associated with a frumpy, short, overweight woman. Why would it be so different from any other elegant dress? Are all MOB frumpy? I absolutely do not think so. Lots of stores up their prices just b/c it is wedding related.
    Whether you are a MOB or a MIL, just go to any store that sells evening dresses, and you will surely find something that will suit you and you will be proud to wear.
    Good luck to all - Pingo

In Response to Re: Mother of the Bride dresses:
    In Response to Re: Mother of the Bride dresses : Thanks for the suggestion Cici!  I went to Party Dress Express Sunday with my Mom after having no luck at Macy's or Nordstroms in Prov and we found her dress!  It is so great there, they are so nice and helpful.  She is so excited and found it without having to spend hundreds.  Thanks a bunch!
    Posted by NYEBride2010

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Thanks Pingo.  And even better news, my FMIL found her dress on Sunday at Dillards in Florida so now they are both ready to go.  Funny thing is that my mom and his mom are both similar in height and shape, so they ended up with similar dress styles.  Just different colors and brands. They both are going to look great.  Now there's one more thing off the to do list.  :-)