Mother of the Brides Dresses???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvbug721. Show luvbug721's posts

Mother of the Brides Dresses???

Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to go for my mother to find a dress? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Re: Mother of the Brides Dresses???

We got my mom's dress at Lord & Taylor in the Burlington Mall. I didn't want my mom to feel obligated to get the sparkly dress with the jacket that seems to be the MOB uniform. She got a beautiful evening gown for what I thought was a pretty reasonable price.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My mom found something she loved at David's Bridal for about $80.  It was knee length and she looked fantastic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

My mom went to Saks. Great dress but the sticker price was a bit high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Alot of department stores seem to have added to "wedding dress departments". 
    my mom had great luck @ Lord & Taylor's Prudential Center location as opposed to a bridal shop.  they do have fabulous sales, including coupons/savings passes.

saks, neimans, bloomies, frugal fannies are also places to try...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I agree that if she doesn't want to spend $500, stay away from the bridal shops, except for David's Bridal.

Nordstrom's website has a lot of really nice special occasion dresses, and their prices are pretty reasonable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd suggest keeping a "fabulous dress" mindset rather than "MOB" dress.  That way, she can look her best instead of like the mother of the bride (who wants to look dowdy and be photographed in something completely unflattering of any woman's figure - they're cut like barrels with jackets).  She should go where she'd go to get a dressy, beautiful dress that makes her feel spectacular.  There are consignment shops on Newbury I'd try first.  They have awesome designer gowns for upscale parties for a fraction of what some rich woman spent on it and maybe wore it once - they often have the orginal tags still on them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

In Response to Re: Mother of the Brides Dresses???:
    I'd suggest keeping a "fabulous dress" mindset rather than "MOB" dress.  That way, she can look her best instead of like the mother of the bride (who wants to look dowdy and be photographed in something completely unflattering of any woman's figure - they're cut like barrels with jackets).  She should go where she'd go to get a dressy, beautiful dress that makes her feel spectacular.  There are consignment shops on Newbury I'd try first.  They have awesome designer gowns for upscale parties for a fraction of what some rich woman spent on it and maybe wore it once - they often have the orginal tags still on them.
    Posted by kargiver

Kargiver, you're right.  when my mom was dress shopping, it seemed she was looking forever.  she went to the bridal shops, department stores, everywhere. 
    everything they were showing her were shiffony (spelling ?)/taffeta type dresses with heavily beaded jacket that made her feel she was going to "fall over". 
    she wound up @ Lord & Taylor, where she literally walked into their dress department, put her hand on a dress tried it on, and loved it.  she also got a major deal on it because it was on sale, they took an extra 20% off the already reduced price, and she had a coupon to boot...made her day... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

We actually found my mother-in-law a dress at Macy's on the clearance rack!  and then we used a coupon and the dress came out to be roughly $30!!  we saved over 80% on the dress!! 
    It was very beautiful and not "typical" mother's dress, beautiful midnight blue chiffon on bottom and some sparkle on top - even with alterations it came in way less than the original price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

my mom and mil got their dresses at nordstrom for a reasonable price.  their online selection is very good and as i remember customer service was great!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I were shopping for this myself, I'd be sure to tell the salelady that I was shopping for a fabulous formal evening dress for an awards dinner or something and resist the urge to blurt out anything about the wedding.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Something like this, maybe?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Party Dress Express in Fall River is a good place to look.  They have both sales racks and sample dresses for you to look for.  They have a lot of like Kar said, evening formal but also sterotypical MOB dresses (the good, bad and ugly). LOL!  But my mom found a great evening formal dress with a wrap that she was comfortable in.  My MIL found one at Dillards (in FL) but I think they have an online catalog also.  Macy's and Nordstroms are good too but sometimes it's hit or miss. 

Sections
Shortcuts