Muslin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

Muslin

I just started shopping for my wedding gown and went to the Priscilla of Boston sample sale today. One suggestion they had was to use a muslin to create a better fit and less altering for whatever gown I end up getting. Is this just a ploy to get more money? It is about $500 to make a muslin, and she mentioned hemming a dress alone is $300.

I am only 5 feet tall, with a straight body type (no hips), and large chest (D cup). Since I am top heavy I would have to get a dress to fit my chest and take everything else in and hemmed of course. I am wondering if this is a smart investment. Or if there is another place that can make a muslin for cheaper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Muslin

I'm not sure what a muslin is...

However, with your shape, I'd strongly suggest an A-line dress to give you more of an hour glass, balancing your shape.  Get one that allows for quite a large petticoat that will give you "hips" proportional to your nice bust line.  This will, of course, define your waist, too.

An A-line with a substantial petticoat will be very flattering on you.  Any other dress silhouette will accentuate your lack of waist and hips. 

$300 is too much for a hem. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ya I agree with Kar, 300 is WAY too much for a hem.  A place like Priscillas is going to charge a lot more for alterations over a seamstress outside of a bridal shop.  I think you should go to some more shops and see what they have for you. It is the bridal shop's job to find a dress that will fit and flatter you.  I'd try a few more places before buying a muslin which could be the price a gown! Whatever you buy will need altered, most women do no matter what their size. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Muslin is a basic cut of cloth, very similar if not the strips that are used with waxing body parts.  I know some places us muslin for that.  I am assuming that they would do the cut of the dress in that and then pin and mark it.

$300 is a lot of a hem if it is a simple hem, if you have a ton of layers and lace etc it may not be unreasonable and it depends on where they can take the hem either at the bottom or if they have to take the dress apart in the middle and take it up from there.  But the most bang for you buck in my opinion would be to pay extra for a hem to hollow custom cut. 

Another option is to see if you can send your measurements in with the dress.  I did this in addition to the hem to hollow measurment because my torso is very short and  that really helped with the way the detailing on the bodice layed on me.  I still needed it alters but just slightly in the shoulders and a bit in the back.  I think my custom measurements were an extra $200 and then the alteration maybe $100 for the alterations (because she had to move a lot of beading for the zipper) if it was a simple detail it would have been a lot less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

I think I used the incorrent wording. Priscilla of Boston said that it would cost $300 to have the dress cut to my height or re-propotioned. That does not include getting beadwork moved or any other alterations I will need. The $500 muslin will ensure a more custom fitting. I am definitely going to have to look further into this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think I used the incorrent wording. Priscilla of Boston said that it would cost $300 to have the dress cut to my height or re-propotioned. That does not include getting beadwork moved or any other alterations I will need. The $500 muslin will ensure a more custom fitting. I am definitely going to have to look further into this.
    Posted by BostonGirl82

Oh, that is different - $300 for reproportioning a dress is reasonable, BUT, you say this doesn't include other alterations.  That's disconcerting.  Once they have the bodice apart to reproportion it, so to speak, they would be also "altering" it.  To charge for reproportioning AND altering sounds like a rip off to me.

Again, make sure the dress is an A-line, and you won't need so much work to be done on the dress to make it flattering.

Sounds like a muslin is a practice dress, essentially, that gives the seamstress a custom pattern for your real wedding dress.  I'd think that it would make it easier for them to make your gown perfect.  Not sure how to put a value on it since we don't know how it will come out with and without it done.

P.S.  I think if I were you, I'd call around for seamstresses who specializes in alterations for a very petite bride.  It is a specialized skill to scale down a dress that much. 

I'd also investigate designers who may carry dresses in petite sizes.  That way, you'd only need "regular" alterations and not reproportioning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'm 5 ft too (but without a chest) and my seamstress had to lop off a ton of fabric (because apparently dresses are made for 6 ft models). There are a lot of layers on my dress, so she had to separate the layers, do them hem, put them back together....

All of that + hemming the petticoat + taking in the top + 9 bustles (my dress is asymmetrical in back and difficult to bustle) was under $300. 

I've heard that Priscillas is crazy expensive. They're owned by David's Bridal, too, so that perplexes me. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

WhirledPeasPlease- Who is your seamstress if you don't mind me asking. I totally want to keep them on file!

Kargiver- I am actually looking at all a-line dresses because I have been told it is best for my body type. Thank you for the tip tho :)

As far as the muslin I am definitely going to do more research and figured the ladies on this board would have good input! I figured Priscilla was over-priced, but before my visit I had never even heard of a muslin. Depending on the type of dress I end up getting (lots or little detailing, layers, etc), I might consider it if my alterations would come out to the same price if not more anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP - what a fabulous deal you got on alterations!!

Boston - glad to hear you're on the A-line band wagon.  I'd be sad for you if you chose another cut given how you've described yourself.  I have an hour glass figure, and I still went with an A-line to accentuate it. :)

Maybe David's Bridal makes up for their lower profit margin by charging crazy prices at Pricella's...their theives if you ask me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

A Muslin is a dress shape they pin on you to get your measurements before they cut the cloth to make your dress.

What I'm confused about is: At a sample sale, you're buying a sample dress. You're buying it as-is.
    They're not going to be making your dress or ordering it in your size to put together.
    So unless they're using the muslin so that you can see how your dress will fit after all alterations are done- I don't see why they'd use one as opposed to just pinning and marking the dress itself for alterations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm confused as to why you would need a "muslin" unless you were having a dress custom made for you? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She said she was going to the sample sale, but while she was there they suggested getting a muslin made for "whatever dress."  I'm guessing they might have steered her away from the samples.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

That's what I'm thinking. I hear these high-end bridal boutiques often lure in budget brides with sample sales and then end up making them fall in love with a full-price designer gown. I think that's just lousy.

She said she was going to the sample sale, but while she was there they suggested getting a muslin made for "whatever dress."  I'm guessing they might have steered her away from the samples.
    Posted by kargiver

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's what I'm thinking. I hear these high-end bridal boutiques often lure in budget brides with sample sales and then end up making them fall in love with a full-price designer gown. I think that's just lousy.
    Posted by pinkkittie18

Lousy, indeed.  They really capitalize on the emotional nature of this particular purchase.  I was lured in to a David's $99 sale last year.  I was sooooo ticked to see that they only had 3 gowns on the $99 rack!  None were even my size.  Their ploy didn't work; I left in a huff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

if you want a good selection at their sale you have to get there first thing on the first day of the sale. They go quick.
    When I went to the $99 sale, there was one dress left, and it was luckily in my size, and it ended up being THE dress. But the salesperson did start off with "I doubt we'll have anything that will fit you..." I just said "Well, please check for my size, I'm only interested in the sale dresses."

Lousy, indeed.  They really capitalize on the emotional nature of this particular purchase.  I was lured in to a David's $99 sale last year.  I was sooooo ticked to see that they only had 3 gowns on the $99 rack!  None were even my size.  Their ploy didn't work; I left in a huff.
    Posted by kargiver

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

Hi, I actually called Priscilla's to make an appointment for last Friday, and they told me they were not taking appointments that day because they were having a sample sale. I went to check it out anyway, even though I there is a very specific dress I wanted to see and knew it would not be in the show room since it was not part of their sale.

I didn't find anything I loved in the sample sale. There were a few dresses that I liked, but they had extremely full skirts which I am looking for an a-line and not as full. Anyway, I repeatedly told my consultant about the dress I was dying to see and she went and got it for me- even though supposedly she said she was not supposed to.

But we got into the muslin talk when I was trying on the sample dresses and my concerns with the altering because given my body type and height- I get everything tailored.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Well it's good to hear that usually don't show full-priced dresses during a sample sale.

But since they started on about muslins while you were trying on samples: my initial confusion still remains- I don't see the need for a muslin if your dress won't be made to order. They can just take the sample dress you'll be buying as-is and alter it, no muslin necessary.

If you're buying a new dress and they want to be able to order it in your measurements, or be able to alter it before you come for a fitting, then a muslin is necessary.

Hi, I actually called Priscilla's to make an appointment for last Friday, and they told me they were not taking appointments that day because they were having a sample sale. I went to check it out anyway, even though I there is a very specific dress I wanted to see and knew it would not be in the show room since it was not part of their sale. I didn't find anything I loved in the sample sale. There were a few dresses that I liked, but they had extremely full skirts which I am looking for an a-line and not as full. Anyway, I repeatedly told my consultant about the dress I was dying to see and she went and got it for me- even though supposedly she said she was not supposed to. But we got into the muslin talk when I was trying on the sample dresses and my concerns with the altering because given my body type and height- I get everything tailored.
    Posted by BostonGirl82

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

I apologize for the confusion- we started talking about the muslin because I brought up the whole alterations discussion and how no matter what I will be spending lots of money on it because of my height and body type. She said that a muslin would be a good option, but obviously on a dress that gets ordered and not a dress at their sample sale. Which I think she knew I didn't want (nor could fit) into the any of the sample dresses.

However- I know Priscilla of Boston is so overpriced compared to so many other places. I saw a dress in the magazines that I LOVED and needed to see it in person. I am really happy that she showed it to me even though she was not "supposed to" and even let me sneak in and try it on. I love the dress....but I am not sold on if it worth the money or if it's amount I would want to pay.

The search continues....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

oh, okay, I am no longer confused!

Good luck in the search!

I apologize for the confusion- we started talking about the muslin because I brought up the whole alterations discussion and how no matter what I will be spending lots of money on it because of my height and body type. She said that a muslin would be a good option, but obviously on a dress that gets ordered and not a dress at their sample sale. Which I think she knew I didn't want (nor could fit) into the any of the sample dresses. However- I know Priscilla of Boston is so overpriced compared to so many other places. I saw a dress in the magazines that I LOVED and needed to see it in person. I am really happy that she showed it to me even though she was not "supposed to" and even let me sneak in and try it on. I love the dress....but I am not sold on if it worth the money or if it's amount I would want to pay. The search continues....
    Posted by BostonGirl82

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

if you want a good selection at their sale you have to get there first thing on the first day of the sale. They go quick. When I went to the $99 sale, there was one dress left, and it was luckily in my size, and it ended up being THE dress. But the salesperson did start off with "I doubt we'll have anything that will fit you..." I just said "Well, please check for my size, I'm only interested in the sale dresses."
    Posted by pinkkittie18

How cool you found THE dress and it was the last one on the $99 rack!!!  Shame on the saleslady for pooh-poohing the idea, though.  What's wrong with those people?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

She was much nicer once she found the dress in my size. I think she was just sick of brides walking in, asking for sales dresses, and then leaving when they couldn't find one in their size.
    She couldn't believe that I tried on one dress, on my first trip, no one else there and decided it was THE dress. She sadi she's never seen it in her whole time working there.
    I just know what I want when I see it, and luckily for me, it was on the first try. :)

How cool you found THE dress and it was the last one on the $99 rack!!!  Shame on the saleslady for pooh-poohing the idea, though.  What's wrong with those people?!
    Posted by kargiver

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

For those who asked, my seamstress is Lourdes. She runs her own business- A Stitch in Time by Lourdes in Nashua, NH. I just realized that I don't have her phone number with me, but I'll post it when I get home later.

She's fantastic! She's great at what she does and really sweet. My bustle is kind of crazy, with 9 instead of the normal 3 (or whatever it is). She usually charges $15 per bustle, which would have been a lot on top of my other alterations, but she gave me a discount beacuse she said I was "nice." Smile It pays to be nice!

Marry&Tux, where I got my dress, gave me her name. BostonGirl, if you're still looking for a place, Marry&Tux is awesome. It's a full service salon with great prices and well-made dresses. There's no pressure there, either. I went for my appt, found a dress I loved, then told them I wanted to go to lunch and think about it a bit. They didn't pressure me into anything, and that (and the dress) probably sold me more than if they would have been pushy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Here's Lourdes's number: 603.598.2651

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I second Marry and Tux, I go my dress there two weeks ago, and they were amazing. It took me about 45 minutes to try on 2 dresses and buy one.

I don't know if I will use Lourdes though...I may try to find someone a little closer around here. But if M&T highly recommends them, than it is definitely a possibility!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Liz, when your dress comes in M&T will mail you a letter with information about final payment, trying it on and picking it up, and they'll include a list of 10-15 alterations people. I think about half were in NH and half in MA.

Sections
Shortcuts