OT: Best BM gift you have received?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

OT: Best BM gift you have received?

This question popped into my mind from the BM Dress thread, so I figured I'd pose it here.  Since a lot of you girls have been bridesmaids multiple times, what was the best BM gift you ever received for being in a wedding party?  I'm curious as I'm starting to think about what I might get for my girls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT: Best BM gift you have received?

Well, this isn't technically an answer to your question, but I know my MOH adored the freshwater pearl set I got her to wear for the wedding.  I got a necklace, bracelet and studs from www.bluenile.com for $250.  A lot, I know, but I only had one attendant so I splurged on her.  If I'd had 5 attendants I still would have spent that much, but they would have just gotten earrings each or something.  She can wear it any time she dresses up; it's classic jewelry.

ETA:  This says "NEW" by it, but the bracelet was very similar to this, and the necklace matched.  The earrings were simple freshwater pearl studs.

Bracelet $85

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from netsr. Show netsr's posts

I was just talking to someone about this the other day who was wondering the same thing!  It's a great question...  I once recieved a nice handbag as a gift, along with the other bridesmaids - and each bag was very much tailored to our tastes (i.e. Coach, Longchamp) and lifestyle (i.e. for going out, for work).  It was a great gift - and showed that the bride knew us all pretty well!  A gift for the day of the wedding (i.e. a necklace, flip flops) is nice, but may never be used/worn again - and being a bridesmaid is a lot of work (as many know all too well), so a nice gift goes a long way!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I can answer what I would want is the bride paying for something like hair/nails/shoes/dress etc.  I'd rather that than a "thing."    I did that for my BM (bought thier dress) but bought them a wristlet for everyday use and earrings to wear with the dress.    If you are going the gift route, I know others have said this on here before, instead of getting something wedding oriented, get them something that you would normally buy for each girl for their birthday. Something that is meaninful to each girl individually. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I got a tiffany's necklace once..  it was so nice.. we got it along with purses, lipstick, and earrings to wear on the day.  I still wear the tiffany's necklace and the simple earrings we got all the time, so I loved that! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I once received a Vera Bradley makeup bag - one of those with 2 zippered compartments that folds up and ties.  That was probably 8 years ago I still use it to this day - it houses ALL of my makeup, as I don't really have room in my condo for a vanity.  Even if I didn't use it daily, it would have been great for travel.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

poppy, what a great gift!  I love VB, and for a designer she isn't really that expensive.  And, you can even find discontinued patterns for less, usually.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I have a Vera Bradley makeup bag, and I LOVE it. It is so durable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm going to vote for buying the dress.  It makes life for a BM so much easier. 

Unless you are going to come up w/ a personalized gift for each BM [ie, something you would get her for a milestone birthday] most BM gifts are pretty generic [let's all admit it].  So either defray the costs by paying for the dress, or get her something really unique that is totally 'her' and that has nothing to do w/ the
    wedding. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Mostly I've received jewelry to wear at the wedding. I definitely love receiving that as a gift, as long as I can use it again - otherwise it just seems wasteful. One wedding I received a small bag with my initials which was nice but I couldn't find a use for it.

This is what I got for my BM's. I think it's pretty and I hope they can use it again! Necklace   I am also paying for hair/make up so they won't have to worry about that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from flem26. Show flem26's posts

Bride had an Anna William purse party. Got to hang out with the bridal party/families and every girl designed her own purse style and fabrics. Loved it - I have bought several more on my own since then. The company has since been bought by another but it looks as though things are pretty much the same. www.annawilliam.com

Also, a monogrammed L.L. Bean tote stuffed with flip flops, shawl and other fun stuff. I did not think I would use the bag much but I use it all the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

One of my friends said, "I love you and would really like you to be my bridesmaid, but I've decided to just have my sister as my MOH, do you mind?"

LOL!  Best gift ever!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I've only received small trinket kind of gifts... The best was the necklace/earrings for my brother's wedding because they are casual enough that I have worn them several times since.

I got my girls Coach wristlets and the jewelry.  I know not everyone is impressed with Coach, but one or two of them were really thrilled with it because they would never buy something like that for themselves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Fram, that is exactly what I got my girls. Brown Coach wrislets to match their BM dresses and garnet earrings. And everyone should be impressed with the wrislets, because at over $100 a pop and 5 girls, it isn't cheap!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, I love those wristlets.  Nice gifts!

Liz, where did you find your garnets?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think "impressed" is the wrong word to use with Coach wristlets. they are functional and decently made (YMMV), but they aren't everyone's style. that's something you have to be sensitive to when purchasing BM gifts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

I love when the bride pays for the dress, or hair and/or makeup, but I know that's a lot to ask of someone, especially with a big wedding party.  I've also received Coach wristlets (I'm not going to lie, it's still in the box in the top of my closet and could likely end up being re-gifted someday...it's just not my style!), some beautiful jewelery, a bottle of champagne, etc...one of my sisters gave us all bags stuffed with beach stuff, which was nice, but I have only used half of it. I tend to re-wear the jewelery, so I do appreciate that. Honestly, though, I appreciate it when it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to be in someone's wedding!
    I didn't have a wedding party, but I have sisters and a few close friends who were really helpful, so I put together bags for each girl tailored to them (my sister the cook had different salts, olive oils, etc, my other sister who is a makeup junkie got different makeup, etc), and those were appreciated...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I agree that the Coach thing is TOTALLY dependent on your friends' taste.  I wouldn't spend the money on something like that unless I was sure she would use it and LOVE it.

I don't even know what a "wristlet" is  (I'm guessing a change purse on a strap??), but I'd rather use a zip-lock bag than something with a logo on it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I've never been a bridesmaid, but I would rather the bride help out with dress/shoes/hair/makeup, etc than getting me a generic gift I will never use again.

For my BMs I got their shoes and bags for the wedding, and then I got them each a little something tailored to their personality.  If you're going the gift route vs. paying for BM expenses, shop for them individually like you would for their birthday. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, cos. It's a clutch-type bag on a strap. large enough to hold cash, cards and keys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Liz, if you haven't already bought them, you should hit up an outlet.  I paid somethiing like $38 each for wristlets.  And they weren't even the usual really small ones to hold only an ID - they were more like a really small clutch.

Also got one MOH a wallet for $40 and the other one a funky silk purse for hmmm not sure but probably less than $50.

Sections
Shortcuts