OT - Favorite part of wedding planning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

It's been a slow morning at work, so I figured I'd start a discussion. What was everyone's favorite part of the wedding planning? Also, what was your least favorite part?

For me: my favorite part was dress shopping. My mom and I had a blast spending the day together and going to a few bridal shops. I ended up falling in love with the first dress I tried on. When I stood there in front of the mirror in my dream wedding dress, it all started to finally feel real.

Least favorite part: people's unsolicited opinions and criticisms! I'm amazed at how rude some people have been, and they are always the ones whose opinions don't matter. I have no issue with people making suggestions, but I don't like being told what I should or shouldn't be doing for my own wedding!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have to follow the crowd for my favorite part and say the dress - not the shopping, per se, but the fittings. My final fitting was a special time with my almost sister-in-law and a dear girlfriend. We went out to dinner afterwards at a swanky place and had a very special girl's night out to celebrate. Tied for first place was the time my MOH and I spent on the phone together because of the wedding; we really reconnected.

The worst was the rehearsal dinner. The guest list got hijacked, and it caused major angst. How expensive everything would be was put a damper on planning for me, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

My favorite part: Not quite sure. I guess, I have a lot of little favorite parts. I loved the dress shopping with my mom. It was a special thing for us. I love putting ideas into place.

My least favorite part: Arguments over guest lists and music. Those aren't fun. Having issues with my FMIL. Feeling lonely. Trying to hold back on excitement of our upcoming special day because there are some who "don't really care".

My MOST favorite part: The marriage. I cannot wait, and cannot believe I get to marry my best friend. He's my soul mate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have to say I enjoyed most of it. I didn't stress about the details. I didn't care about how the centerpieces looked after I gave the florist an idea of what I wanted. Let my mother pick out the cake. I didn't care what the ushers wore after I said "any black tux with a black vest."
    Only had a MOH so no dress drama there. Bought the flower girl dress myself and just gave it to her (also easier that way).
    Loved choosing my dress and veil with my mom (seems to be a favorite with everyone here). Loved choosing the food and wine at the tasting with DH and my dad - the one thing he wanted to help with.
    Didn't love trying to coordinate the church and a reception site. We were only engaged 4 1/2 months so our choices were limited. Ended up doing a Friday night which helped free up some venues. :)
    Happy planning to all the brides out there right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

My favorite part was making my centerpieces and bouquets with my mom and friends.

Least favorite part was the seating chart. DH ended up having to do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

best part for me was dress shopping! I had tons of fun with my mom and my sister and have had a great time with them throughout the process. My sister, who is younger than I am, has really just been awesome and great!

Worst part - my problems with my "best" friend who was supposed to be a bridesmaid. I have posted here about it, long story short, found out more things that demonstrate she is really incapable of being anything but completely manipulative and selfish. Weddings really do bring out the worst in people.
    The good that came out of it though - is I found out who my real friends are and several of them asked me to be in my wedding party! They have been spectacular and I am grateful to have them in my life.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Totally agree that the best part so far has been the connection w/ my mom. Especially that moment in t he bridal shop when we both knew it was "the" dress. We were both in tears and it was really special. She was proud to have a "secret" with me. Of course, I've shown my dress to a few people now...its really hard not to...but she's the only who's seen it in full force. :-)

I will have to think about my least favorite party. Sadly, I am having a busy morning today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Favorite: The food! We tasted our passed appetizers a few weeks ago and we have our cake tasting coming up in a few weeks :-)

So far we haven't had too many problems. I wanted to invite some OOT guests to the RD, but my FILs said no, even after I offered to pay the difference. But that's about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Megs, I got my dress at Marry&Tux too and they were really nice there. My mom got her dress there too and I'm picking hers up tomorrow!

I hope you said something snarky to the consultants who told you to lose weight. Size 10 is *average* and they should shut the hell up on matters of weight!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree w/ Miss Lily. I enjoyed all aspects of planning our wedding. It was fun! I gave the florist general ideas of what I wanted and let her run w/ it. As long as the flowers were pretty, I didn't really care about the specifics. I vetted vendors online first and then met w/ them in person. I generally ended up w/ the one that I had narrowed it down to on line. The only thing that was a bit of a pain was the seating chart. Other than that, it was smooth sailing and we had a great day! We had an 11 month engagement, but we were done w/ all major planning in under 6 months.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Thanks Wendy & Whirled - I'll definitely check out your suggestions!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

My favorite part of planning so far has been this week when FI figured out a way to save our disappointing invitations! He knew it was important to me & suggested we mount them on sturdier card stock. We bought some to see how it would work & the next thing I knew his inner scrap-booking diva came out & all our invitations are beautiful! With invites in hand & ready to go, it finally feels like this is really going to happen :) And FI having so much to do with it makes me warm & fuzzy!

My least favorite part is the family drama that surrounds us, which seems to be typical. Stress is high for everyone with the medical stuff we've been through lately & it's spilling over into wedding control. But caller ID is the Best Invention. Ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I'm the same way with the flowers. I just want them to be pretty :-) I gave my florist a general color scheme and she's coming up with the rest. That's why we're paying her the big bucks!

We did a ton of research online and, so far, we're really happy with our choices.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

(Sorry the first time I tried it said it was "saved" so this is a recreation of that post so if it does show this should explain the dup.)

I loved everything....I am planner! I took this occasion to go into great detail and plan the font, the RGB value for the ink, the invites (I did the wedding and RH invites) the program, the website, my dress, the jewelry (I made it for my girls and myself), making the unity candle, the favors. Ahhh still I get excited about how much fun it was, I would do it again in heartbeat if I got to marry my DH again and of course budget was not a problem.

The only thing that I didn't enjoy was the Church's wedding coordinator, she was a PITA and I was glad to only have to deal with her a few times.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

lol, I feel your pain! I put DH in charge of planning the honeymoon too. Wedding planning totally fried my brain, I couldn't even think about hotels.

[Quote]Favorite: I'm having a good time hanging out on these boards. It was also fun making the invitiations--I got paper from Michael's, designed them, and got them printed at kinko's (for $5!) and I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Least favorite: Not a fan of planning the honeymoon...I mean, I'm psyched to *go* on our honeymoon (Hawaii!) I just don't want to plan and book flights, etc.[/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Favorite: I'm having a good time hanging out on these boards. It was also fun making the invitiations--I got paper from Michael's, designed them, and got them printed at kinko's (for $5!) and I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Least favorite: Not a fan of planning the honeymoon...I mean, I'm psyched to *go* on our honeymoon (Hawaii!) I just don't want to plan and book flights, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Favorite: Finding the venue & determining the "look" we were going for - i must have looked through a million pictures & made a list of almost every possible wedding venue in New England. It was worth it though ... I now consider myself a wedding venue expert :)

Least Favorite: The dress. I'm a street size 10 & have had more than one bridal store consultant tell me how much weight I have to lose or how you can really only look good on your "special day" if you can fit perfectly into a sample size dress (6). Ugh not appreciated - particularly bc my mom doesn't live in New England so she wasn't there to be indignant on my behalf! It's only made me ridiculously nervous about losing enough for the big day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[Quote]Favorite: Finding the venue & determining the "look" we were going for - i must have looked through a million pictures & made a list of almost every possible wedding venue in New England. It was worth it though ... I now consider myself a wedding venue expert :)

Least Favorite: The dress. I'm a street size 10 & have had more than one bridal store consultant tell me how much weight I have to lose or how you can really only look good on your "special day" if you can fit perfectly into a sample size dress (6). Ugh not appreciated - particularly bc my mom doesn't live in New England so she wasn't there to be indignant on my behalf! It's only made me ridiculously nervous about losing enough for the big day.
    [/Quote]

WMegs I am indignant on your behalf that is just plain rude. I am larger than you and fortunately did not encounter that type of behavior but if I did I would have given them the what for. And I happen to think that I looked spectacular on my wedding day and I have no doubt you will as well. If you haven't found your dress yet I would put in a good word for Marry & Tux in Nashua, NH where I got my dress.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoonToBeCPC. Show SoonToBeCPC's posts

Favorite Part: Gathering ideas from websites and looking at other people's wedding pictures. I am not very creative on my own, so I look to others for inspirationg.

Lease Favorite: Figuring out timing of the day - I am still not sure how much time to leave for everything!