OT- How long did you keep your dress?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Re: OT- How long did you keep your dress?

I think making the wrapping for your daughters wedding bouquet is a fabulous idea.  Depending on the material perhaps a little "hankie" for her to carry as well.

I like the idea of just wearing the dress out randominlgy somewhere.  That is a riot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- How long did you keep your dress? : This is a disaster waiting to happen...
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

Is that a unicycle????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like the idea of using the material to wrap your daughter's bouquet.  You should have plenty left over for a Christening gown if you had at least a chapel length train. 

My bouquet was wrapped with material cut from my own train.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Mine's still hanging uncleaned in my Mom's attic, where it would be safe from my cat. I'll hang onto it for sentimental value, and have it given to goodwill or somethin after I die, or sometime before then. I plan to get it cleaned and wear it on my 10yr anniversary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: OT- How long did you keep your dress?:
    [QUOTE]Depending on the material perhaps a little "hankie" for her to carry as well. I like the idea of just wearing the dress out randominlgy somewhere.  That is a riot.
    Posted by allreadymarried[/QUOTE]

My great-grandmother had a hanky made out of the material from her wedding bolero and my grandmother carried it, my mother, and then me on my wedding day.  It was a nice something old.

Kmt - yes, it's a unicycle.  Crazy.

Pink - I love the idea of wearing your dress on your 10yr!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

It's mostly just to prove to myself that I would still fit into it. Positive thinking.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- How long did you keep your dress? : My great-grandmother had a hanky made out of the material from her wedding bolero and my grandmother carried it, my mother, and then me on my wedding day.  It was a nice something old . Kmt - yes, it's a unicycle.  Crazy. Pink - I love the idea of wearing your dress on your 10yr!
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In a box under the bed.  Will keep it either forever or until someone else wears it.

My sister wore my Mother's dress.  Then my niece also wore my Mother's dress - same dress.  I wore my Mother-in-law's dress. 

If you want to get rid of it, rather than tossing it, donate it to a prom dress charity or sell it for cheap to someone who can use it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[QUOTE]This month I will be celebrating my 29th wedding anniversary and I still have my wedding dress.  My daughter is getting married next year.  I knew she wouldn't wear it but she tried it on and it is definitely not the style she wants.  I can't get rid of it and I'm thinking that if I am blessed someday with a granddaughter, I can make her christening gown from it.  I was also thinking of having a seamstress cut a big piece out of it to make the wrapping for my daughter's bridal bouquet.  What do you girls think of that? 
    Posted by italianqueen[/QUOTE]

Love it!! When I got my Mother-in-law's dress, the skirt was covered in a layer of tulle.  The tulle had some rips and stains (and I really preferred the satin underskirt to the tulle overskirt) so I had it removed and used it to wrap my bouquet and in the centerpieces.  I doubt anyone knew, but I loved it!  I still have my bouquet on my china cabinet - silk flowers wrapped in MIL's dress tulle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I really like the idea of having it made into a Christening gown for our future children.  That's a beautiful thought. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

[QUOTE] I like the idea of just wearing the dress out randominlgy somewhere.  That is a riot.
    Posted by allreadymarried[/QUOTE]

I was talking about donating my dress & DH was not willing to let go of it yet.  He wanted to rent his suit again & just go somewhere all dressed up (how cute!). 
    Until then though, it's hanging in the closet of my otherwise empty condo.  Maybe someone will make an offer on both the condo & the dress :) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

dkb, you should raise the stakes and ride around on a unicycle! Make sure the train is bustled so you don't roll over it though....

Do you have to preserve it? Mine's hanging in our basement in the bag it came in. I'll keep it forever and if we have daughters, they can be like, "Oh Mom, I'll never wear that, it's soooo 2009! How did anyone ever think that was cool?" while they prance around in space suits.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

well, how would we fill up our wedding gown armoires if we don't have our dresses? 

For only $15,000 plus shipping, you can preserve it forever - in your living room!

http://www.weddingbee.com/2006/05/04/wedding-dress-armoire

(you old timers will remember this from a couple of years ago.  quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen on the boards, and definitely the funniest!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

can't believe you could still find it!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

And, this dress if from the era...

(what is this... a museum?)

That's all I hear when I look at that picture.  Totally ridiculous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]well, how would we fill up our wedding gown armoires if we don't have our dresses?  For only $15,000 plus shipping, you can preserve it forever - in your living room! http://www.weddingbee.com/2006/05/04/wedding-dress-armoire (you old timers will remember this from a couple of years ago.  quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen on the boards, and definitely the funniest!)
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

How did I miss this the first time???  Wow, that's really, so sad.  It looks like an ad made by SNL as a total joke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Can they do this with people?  If so, I'm interested...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Creepy! Reminds me of the heads in the glass cases in Mumby's house in Return to Oz

[QUOTE]well, how would we fill up our wedding gown armoires if we don't have our dresses?  For only $15,000 plus shipping, you can preserve it forever - in your living room! http://www.weddingbee.com/2006/05/04/wedding-dress-armoire (you old timers will remember this from a couple of years ago.  quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen on the boards, and definitely the funniest!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[QUOTE]Creepy! Reminds me of the heads in the glass cases in Mumby's house in Return to Oz In Response to Re: OT- How long did you keep your dress? :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Return to OZ is my favorite movie EVER.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ha ha ha! It used to scare the cr*p out of me when I was a kid, but it didn't stop me from watching it endlesly. My brother recently got it for me on DVD.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from axs54. Show axs54's posts

Sold mine on Craigslist a few months after the wedding. No regrets.

I will say that if anyone plans of selling her dress, do it sooner rather than later. It's sad to see all these dresses on Cragslist from the 80s that have been sitting in a box for the past 20 years and are completely out of style.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

clm! Yes, i remember this and her :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Haha I do remember this!!

Also, Return to Oz scared the cr*p out of me too.

Also, I second the question about the necessity of preserving.  Can I just have it cleaned and try to keep it safe?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think it depends on the fabric.
    Silk can discolor and start to fall apart over time, I believe. Lace can discolor. You'd have to do a google search on fabric preservation to see just what fabrics need to be preserved and which ones will be fine in a garment bag (that's not plastic) or a cedar chest.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT- How long did you keep your dress? : Haha I do remember this!! Also, Return to Oz scared the cr*p out of me too. Also, I second the question about the necessity of preserving.  Can I just have it cleaned and try to keep it safe?
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

I kept mine - got it preserved and is now in the back of a closet.  I enjoyed trying on my Mom's dress when I was in High School especially after my father passed away.  It made me imagine what they were like young and in love.  So I am keeping it for that day - I would never expect a future daughter to wear it but it might be fun to have.  Plus I really like the idea of using the material to make a wrap for future bouquets or hankies.