Potential BM dress problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Potential BM dress problem

For financial and geographic reasons, the BM's are wearing dresses from David's Bridal. These dresses were on sale for cheap because they are from a couple seasons ago and are being discontinued  they are not exchangable, returnable, etc.

The problem is that one BM is currently pregnant, due 3 months before the wedding. Even though she bought a dress that was three sizes too large at the time, it won't zip at the top now. She is planning to breast feed and thinks the problem will be worse then. I told her that we should wait and see what happens and worst case, we'll buy her a new dress (in a different style if necessary) or figure out some type of alteration fix. She is still freaking out about it. Has anyone been in this type of situation? Any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: Potential BM dress problem

You'll probably just have to wait and see, but I think it should be able to just be altered if she bought the dress large.  I've never had kids, but 2 of my sisters have and their breasts were smaller after having the babies (even with nursing). 

My sister bought her BM dress right after she had a baby (about 3 months before the wedding) and she actually bought it small and I thought she was crazy.  But she fit into it just fine.  She said she lost weight from nursing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I think you will be ok.  My bridesmaid found out she was pregnant two days after we ordered our dresses so to be on the safe side she called them (without telling any of us) and told them the potential.. and they had her go up two sizes..  Well since then we found out it was now twins and she is due 2 1/2 months after the wedding.. needless to say, her dress is going to be tight.. or not fit.. however she talked to her usual seamstress who said "no problem", she will use some of the hem up material on the bottom from her dress and other dresses to add some inserts where needed, she will expand where she can, etc.  she trusts her seamstress and knows that she will make it work. All I can say is make sure to find a good seamstress and alert them ahead of time.  The other thing is her lady is doing this all for her within just 4 days of the wedding..  she blocked off time for her..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I would just let your seamstress know and not worry about it. Post-pregnancy bodies are so unpredictable. All of the girls will probably have extra material that can be combined to put an extra panel in if necessary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

There is no point in doing anything until 6 weeks after delivery/6 weeks before the wedding.  It can take 6 weeks easily after birth to lose excess fluids in addition to loss in the abdomen, which affects the fit of shoulders and back as well.  Then adjustments can be made. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks! I'll tell her to discuss with her seamstress and then just wait to see what happens. This is her 3rd baby so I trust that she knows what to expect but I think she underestimates the weight that she loses after birth. With the other two, you could barely tell she had a baby within 2 months.

It is a great idea to see if she can get extra material from the other BM dress if necessary.

Sections
Shortcuts