Quest for the Elusive Dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Quest for the Elusive Dress

Hi all
    I have fallen absolutely head over heels in love with a Vera Wang Janet dress (style no 11255). Unfortunately, I do not have the budget to buy it at its retail price (which is over 5k). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a great bridal consignment shop (already tried VOWS) or have an input/advice on buying samples from the Vera Wang store in Boston.
    Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Re: Quest for the Elusive Dress

That is definitely the dress! Unfortunately on that website that dress has already sold (in fact is sold many months ago). I have tried bridepower.com, bravobride.com, oncewed.com, woreitonce.com, preownedweddingdresses.com, and encorebridal.com.
    Any other suggestions? Does Vera Wang in Boston sell its samples?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Don't know, but even if they do sell samples, the discount is usually not staggering.  If you are a few sizes away from the sample size, then altering it down can undo a huge chunk of the savings, as you will need a seamstress to reconstruct the dress.  I would call Vera and ask about the options, but just be wary before you take the leap, and talk to a seamstress to assess your likely savings after accounting for those extra costs.

Have you checked out the Nicole Miller bridal line?  Not identical, but I think some of her dresses have a similar style sensibility (and lower price tag) as the one you are looking for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

You could call around to stores that sell Vera and ask if they are having a sample sale soon.  A friend of mine did that and ended up with a $5000 dress for much cheaper... I forget how much she paid but I'd say $2000 max.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JenyRose22. Show JenyRose22's posts

Hi Bianca,

I tried on that dress @ Vera in Boston about 2 months ago.  I know it wasn't 5k when I was there.  I want to say it was closer to 3k.  If you do go there, ask for Julie.  She sold me my dress & my cousin her dress. She is WONDERFUL!!  Good Luck!!  (PS ~ that's the dress Khloe Kardashian wore for her reception, I believe)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Hi JenyRose22,
    Thank you so much for your post. I got the quote of 5k from a bridal salon in NYC. I am so excited that you saw it for less. Do you know if the Vera in Boston has a sample sale or if the dress prices could be negotiated down?
    THANKS!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from smsalty. Show smsalty's posts

I know of another bridal sample boutique it's in Quincy the woman Judy who owns it is amazing, the website is bridalsecrets.com click contact us and she will probably respond same day... she did for me through several correspondence. She may even look for the dress for you, as she does this for each and every sample she buys from across the country. She also does all of the alterations and makes handmade veils, she is making mine. I also know a dressmaker who is right around the corner from Bridal Secrets in Quincy, Simply Barbara, She is doing all of the alterations and did my sisters as well which is why I went to her! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Thank you all so much for your advice. I actually contacted bridalsecrets.com and they did not have my dress. I DID, however, finally find my dress yesterday at VOWS in Watertown. It was also a TON less than I was expecting to pay....maybe it was just meant to be Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Did you get the dress you were looking for or a different one?  Just curious.  Either way, congratulations!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Hi,
    I did get the exact dress I was looking for! It was a total surprise because VOWS had just recently told me they didn't have that dress in stock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Wow, I guess it was meant to be.  What a great story!