Question for TREX!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Question for TREX!

Are you getting your dress altered at Camilla's?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Question for TREX!

Hi Peonie!  No, I've decided to take it elsewhere.  The main reason for this is cost.  When I ordered my dress, i asked for an estimate on the alterations and they seemed pretty high.  I think for everythign I wanted it was going to be like $200.  I have heard their alterations person is awesome.  I think Jasmine used her.  However, Jasmine posted what she paid and it was a lot less than they quoted me, so either they have raised it a lot recently or she was overestimating the cost. 

We'll see, my dress should be here in a few weeks (YAY!).  I might ask them about it again when I go to pick it up.  But I also found another person for alterations out of Billerica who is highly recommended and her prices seem a lot better.  So I will mostly likely go with her.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh, there was a whole thread on it!  Try this:

Camilla's for Alterations?

Wow, I forgot what they quoted me, it was more like $310!  When I was dress shopping, I went to another store and they quoted me prices that were HALF that.  I just can't spend $300 on alterations for an $800 dress.  That blows my budget!

The person I am planning to use is Fay Carraher.  She is well recommended on the knot and I think she will be far cheaper. I can PM you her phone number if you like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Hmm--yes $310 is a lot.  You may as well get a quote once you have the actual dress and know exactly what needs to be done.  But if you're not happy, take it elsewhere.

My alterations there were $140, and were done well (bustle with a bunch of points--I can't remember exactly--like 7?; hem of 3 layers of fabric; cups added to bodice).  They also stored the dress until I was ready to pick it up (2 days before the wedding), and steamed the dress and veil for me very nicely (and without extra charge).  I've heard ladies say they spent $60-100 to steam the dress at the cleaner, so make sure you add that charge in when you are comparing prices.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

oh--hah!--that post was almost exactly identical to the post that trex linked to from before.  i hadn't noticed that she posted the link.  well, at least you can see my story hasn't changed.  :p

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I am having my dress stored there for almost a year, so I am little nervous. I am not nervous about the shop at all, but just having my dress somewhere else, but I just have to trust them. I know it will be just hanging in a bag in the basement.

As for alterations, I guess I won't decide where to have them done until they quote me. I won't know what needs to be done until I have my dress here. I know I won't need cups. I am thinking just the hem. The sample was a size 14 and was huge on me, they measured me at a 10, and when I tried on another Maggie in a 10, it fit perfectly up top, just too long. I didn't want to order it 3 inches shorter though, because I am "5'5 and I am worried that would be too short. So we shall see.

Thanks for the response, girls :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Peonie!

Yeah, that is one thing that is nice about doing it all at Camilla's.  They will store it and then steam it right before your wedding.  We have space at home though, so I guess I'll just pick it up when it comes in. 

The sample of my dress fit me perfectly, but was WAY too long.  I'm about 5'4" and I ordered it 3" shorter.  Maybe if I am lucky I won't need a hem!  Although I actually really want to shorten the train. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I am also having some custom work done to my dress. Mine is a sweetheart neckline, but I am sort of changing it a little. It will still have the look of the SH neckline, but it will have beading in the dip.

Ok basically, I am making my neckline look more like this neckline:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

pretty! I like that a lot.
    and her hair is major.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Yeah, she must have A LOT of hair...or major extensions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

lots and lots of bump-its...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Question for TREX!:
    Trex - I'm just curious what they based their estimate on? Just shortening the hem/train? My dress alterations (not at Camilla's) totalled $225 - this was for the hem, bustle, changing the neckline, changing the lace up back to a zipper & button which included having to take in one area and letting out another, as well as steaming both the dress and veil. So by comparison, your estimate does sound very high!
    Posted by cicirose

Hi Cicirose!  Wow, that is a great price for all that work.  Who did you use?

The owner, Nivia, looked over the dress while I was wearing it.  She estimated this:

Hem $150
    Cups $20
    Bustle $20 per point (I was figuring 7 pts)

The hem is just taking up the front of the dress, they don't do the train at all.  I really want to shorten the train and she said that would probably be another $100-$150.  But it is 2 layers (top and lining) and there is a lot of pleating on the front.

All the stuff I want is pretty standard (minus cutting the train) and I feel like I should be able to get it for less than $200.  The top fit perfectly and it has a corset back, so I feel like these are relatively minor alterations.  I might ask them to give me a price again when the dress comes in.  But I'd be surprised if she overestimated when I bought the dress.  If anything I think they'd underestimate to not scare me away from buying it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fake hair AND bump its!  She looks like she's "from France."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Question for TREX!:
    Fake hair AND bump its!  She looks like she's "from France."
    Posted by kargiver

LOL!
    I'm thinking a bajillion bobby pins, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Trex--get your quote from Violette before you make up your mind.  Nivea doesn't really price the alterations, as I recall.  It was Violette who came up with the price for mine.  She can probably give a more accurate quote.

I'm also 5'5" and I went 3 inch shorter, but I knew I'd wear super super low heels.  I still needed it hemmed but only a hair.  

And, I'm convinced I could make my hair look like that with neither bumpits nor extensions.  Just not blonde.  Every time I get an updo, the hairdresser at the beginning is like "oh you have a lot of hair."  and then they get half way through it and they go "OH!  You have a LOT of hair!"...  and then we start over to try to devolumize the whole thing.  I cannot tell you how many times this has happened.  Like twice in the last month alone.  Once was an updo for a wedding I was in.  The whole style had to be taken out and redone because the poof was growing to astronomical proportions.  The hairdresser couldn't figure it out.  And then I got a haircut a few weeks ago.  The lady hacked and hacked away at my hair with thinning shears.  THen she blow dries it.  And she is just looking and looking at it.  "I thinned it so much, but umm..."  Ah, the joys of poofy hair!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Update for Peonie:  I picked up my dress yesterday!  The experience was a bit mixed.  Anyway, I have decided to DEFINITELY NOT go with Camilla's for the alterations.  The dress fits me practically perfect.  The 3" shorter is the perfect length, so I don't even need a hem.  However, the prices she "quoted" me just seems SO high.  I put it in quotes because she barely talked to me and I just felt very uncomfortable with the whole thing.  (They might have been weird because I mentioned I planned to take it elsewhere for a second quote, however, if they wanted my business, you think they would try to be nice and quote competitively).

Anyway: I want to shorten the train and she said $200 for that (um, they estimated $150 last time.)  I don't need them to hem the front at all (but she said that usually runs about $150).  Adding cups is $20 and bustle is $20 per point.

I just think her prices for a simple hem are too much.  I'm meeting with Fay in 2 weeks, so I'll let you know how that goes.  Maybe my dress is super complicated?  I kind of doubt it, but who knows.

Anyway, I picked up my dress and it is now hanging in my closet!  So weird!

Here are the pics of the train, full length and then where I would like it shortened to.  Let me know what you guys think!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Gorgeous dress! I think I will just go with them, because the way I see it, I spent under $1,000 for my dress, and if I spend another $200-$250 on the dress, than that is like a $1,200 dress. And I seem to really trust them with alterations. Good luck, though! Let me know what you do!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Trex,
    I believe I was quoted $125 for hemming my dress, so $150 isn't outrageous but definitely could be better.  I went to Chris O'Hare instead, but then didn't really save because I had to pay to have the dress pressed elsewhere.  Anyway, just throwin' out some info for you!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

If you are going to bustle the train,  I like it longer for the rest of the time, nicer-
    in makes the upper body smaller in proportion.  Then, when the gown is bustled,  the fall of the lower gown will be biger around, which will by comparison also make the upper body back more petite in comparison.  Do not touch it - would be my opinion.  Which you of course did not ask for but still!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Waggie's idea about the bustle making your upper body seem more petite holds especially true for the French style bustle which does not add bulk to the bumm/hips area (it is attached well below that in cascading, relatively flat layers). 

The American style bustle is gathered up on top of your butt, and for anyone with rather pronounced rear (like me) it's not a slimming or flattering way to go.

Chapel length train:

With a French style bustle:

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I'm doing a French bustle for the satin, and then the one layer of organza overlay will be an American bustle....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that'll be very nice.  The American bustle is very pretty, and with the one layer organza it won't add bulk where it shouldn't be. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Yes- just a lace or organza, other low bulk sheer does look nice that way, with the rest French.  No big butt build up.   Leave the train as is when not bustled!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Trex- your dress is sooo gorgeous!