Questions about shopping for Bridal gowns...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Bring a strapless bra and spanx. Make sure you eat and are fully caffeinated before you go too. :-)

Okay, I only went to 1 bridal shop [I got lucky and found my dress in the first one], but I also went w/ one of my sisters when she was dress shopping. The sample dresses in these places are not small sizes. Most sample dresses were a 10-12 [store size 10-12, not bridal size 10-12]. I take a small size, so it really wasn't a problem for me, but if you are average size, you should have no problem fitting into the dresses. If you are smaller, they have dress clips so you can get an idea of what it will look like on you in a proper size. Good luck and have fun!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'm so happy for you! It's great to get the dress and not have to worry about it anymore :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Hi Kar...I know, from what I hear they will order dresses much bigger than one would think. I was recently in a wedding and they ordered a size 20 and it needed $300 in alterations. So, I am recalling my experience trying on the teeny sample dress there and having no idea what it would look like in my size. I just hope I can try some on, I don;t care if they don't zip, I just want to get an idea of styles, etc. But, thanks for the support and encouraging words! I am heading to La Sposa and Belle and Bride to start. We shall see! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Wear a strapless nude colored bra that doesn't have any push-up padding. You'll want to know how the dress hangs on your natural shape, not the shape given to you by a bra you might not even wear on your big day.
    Don't worry about sample sizes, they should be big enough for you. If they're not, it doesn't mean that you're huge, just that the dress is small. As you know by now, wedding dresses tend to run small for the most part.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on this wedding planning milestone!

Take a deep breath and relax. Not many brides out there are a size 6 (by the way, that's generally a size 10 wedding dress). I only went to one shop, and it was a consignment shop so there were no samples so I can't comment, but I have to believe you won't have a problem as you are an average sized bride.

For undergarments, I'd say wear support hose with tummy control. That's what I did, and they make the gowns slide over you easier. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. I'm a fan of Spanx, but any cheap pair of support hose from the drugstore ought to work fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

[Quote]Bring a strapless bra and spanx. Make sure you eat and are fully caffeinated before you go too. :-)

Okay, I only went to 1 bridal shop [I got lucky and found my dress in the first one], but I also went w/ one of my sisters when she was dress shopping. The sample dresses in these places are not small sizes. Most sample dresses were a 10-12 [store size 10-12, not bridal size 10-12]. I take a small size, so it really wasn't a problem for me, but if you are average size, you should have no problem fitting into the dresses. If you are smaller, they have dress clips so you can get an idea of what it will look like on you in a proper size. Good luck and have fun![/Quote]

I second Alf - make sure you eat if you're planning a whole day of it! It can be exhausting :) My one recommendation of what to wear: full coverage underwear. I had forgotten about an appointment and went in a thong... maybe I'm modest but I didn't like standing in a dressing room with a random woman in my thong! (Oh, and a strapless bra representative of the amount of padding you'll wear on the big day.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

klm-whatever you do, when you try a dress on and if it fits, do not let them order any sizes bigger. When I went to buy my gown, the sample fit and I knew I was going to lose weight before it should have arrived, they wanted to order from my measurements a dress that was 10 sizes bigger than the sample. I put my foot down and told them if they ordered any size bigger, I would not buy the dress.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Hi Ladies,

So, I have reached the point in the planning where I am ready to start trying on gowns and finding the perfect one. What are things that you would recommend I bring with me (ie..undergarments, etc...) and also, am I going to be squeezing into size 6 sample dresses or do many shops carry samples in sizes 12/14? Not sure what to expect and I don't want to leave any place in tears! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tell us how you made out!

btw, LilSprout, you are not the only one who made that mistake with the thong! LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I would call ahead of time to see if you need to make an appointment or not. I didn't choose undergarments until I had already chosen my dress because I had no idea what I was going to need, so if you don't know now, it isn't that big of a deal.
    Just be sure to bring someone strong with you to help because those dresses get awfully heavy, although a good shop should have someone who will be able to help you with all of that anyhow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Can you believe I found and bought a dress!! It was totally not what I thought I would get, nor anything I envisioned myself in. I bought it at "Bride N' Belle" in Medford. Jo was fabulous to work with and I absolutely fell in love with the dress. There were three that I could have walked away with, and I fell totally in love with one of those. I had appointments in NYC at bridal salons over the next few weeks, of which I am going to now cancel. It was a totally easy and stress free process for me!! Thanks for all of the advice, ladies! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Woo hoo!!! Good for you - what a fun weekend!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

So glad you found something you love!
    Congratulations :)