Rehearsal Dinner Dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Rehearsal Dinner Dress

I need to find a dress for my rehearsal dinner, and was thinking that I'll just get a pretty dress that I would be able to wear again.  A few of the rehearsals I have been to the brides wore a white dress. Is this something that you are supposed to do?  I am just wondering since I have seen so many brides do this...   I know I can do whatever I want, just wondering why so many women chose white. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Dress

I was told by someone that you were "supposed" to wear a coordinating color to go with your wedding theme/colors, i.e. the color of you bridesmaid dresses.

I think this is completely unneccessary...as is wearing white...I actually just realized I need to find something to wear also. Definitely wear whatever you want...sounds like you're already OK with that idea. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never heard of any rules for the rehearsal dinner.  Ours was casual, and I wore jeans I felt pretty in (you know the ones, right?) and a sweater, I think (it was November).

However, I've attended a number of much more dressy and traditional RDs, and in every case, the bride and groom wore what they'd wear to any dressy dinner party.

Wear whatever you really want to wear (like you said you were going to)!  If I'd had a traditional RD, I'd have relished the opportunity to get dressed up and wear something I'd have felt fabulous in no matter what color that ended up being.

P.S.  I have no idea why they wear white.  I've never heard of that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

White for a RD? Is this a "Knot" brain washer? Never heard of that. A RD is usually casual and fun. Wear whatever you like to wear. Jeans are fine as far as I am concerned. If you want to dress up a bit - then go for that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I wore a jean skirt and a button down top that I liked a lot.  A lot of people asked me what I was wearing so they could base the dressy-ness of their outfit on mine.  Pretty much everyone was in khakis and a shirt or something along that line.

Wear what will make you happy, but just be prepared for people to ask you what you are wearing.  They are going to want to follow your lead in terms of how dressed up to get.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it depends on where the RD dinner is being held.  I'd wear something that I'd wear to that particular place if it were any other occassion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I've never heard of any rules for the rehearsal dinner either.  Definitely wear whatever you want!!

Originally I wanted to wear a white summery dress because I thought it would be cute and bride-like.  Ultimately I decided to get something I could use again.  Since I have so many weddings this summer I bought a teal/blue cocktail dress that is dressy enough for weddings.  I was probably the most dressed up person at the RD, but ain't nothing wrong with that :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

It all depends on what you feel most comfortable in.  My mother keeps telling me that I can just wear a pair of nice pants and a nice top, but my vision is more of a dress.  I want to wear a pretty dress that I'll be able to wear again, too.  I had thought of wearing a white dress to appear bridal.  I like that idea.  But, I guess, I'll just wear what I find that looks good on me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I already had to buy a wedding gown and a shower dress, so I voted for a totally casual RD!  LOL!  Our Reverend is really laid back, and dinner will be at a relatively casual restaurant.  I figured we'll just tell everyone to show up in jeans and t-shirts.  FI is thrilled with this idea! 

Basically, you can do it however you want.  It can be as formal or as casual as you'd like.  And there definitely aren't any rules about the bride-to-be having to wear white.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I wore an eggplant purple chiffon and satin cocktail dress that's my go-to for occasions like that. I've also worn it to weddings and office parties.

Never heard you had to wear white.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I don't think a bride "has" to wear white.  I think it's a sweet idea if one wants to do it, though.  I will do it if I find something flattering.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

[QUOTE]Since I have so many weddings this summer I bought a teal/blue cocktail dress that is dressy enough for weddings.  I was probably the most dressed up person at the RD, but ain't nothing wrong with that :o)
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Ha!  I was going to go casual, but FI set out a shirt & tie, so I threw on my stand by LBD & a sweater.  FI ended up scrapping the tie when he saw how everyone else came, so I was a bit over-dressed.  I figured though, I'm the bride, who's gonna say anything?  :)  It's not like I blended in the next day either!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I'm not wearing white or one of my wedding colors.  I just ordered a fun green dress from Anthropologie.  I hope it fits!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ok figured this was one of those things that you can do what you want!  Don't know why I have seen so many brides in white!   We are having it at a kinda fancy resturant in Boston, so I have to get dressed up. I'd love to wear jeans however :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I just ordered this dress from F21...

I'm not good with things that are not solid colors so hopefully this isn't ugly..lol. I am totally into the maxi dresses since I'm tall, and I've been buying them like crazy. I love F21 b/c it is cheap. :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]I just ordered this dress from F21... I'm not good with things that are not solid colors so hopefully this isn't ugly..lol. I am totally into the maxi dresses since I'm tall, and I've been buying them like crazy. I love F21 b/c it is cheap. :-)
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

I LOVE this dress!  It's so pretty, totally my style.

And I envy your ability to wear maxi dresses.  LOL!  Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

oh, good...hahaa. I am not kidding, I NEVER wear anything with a pattern so I was nervous. Glad you approve...haha. thanks. :-)

Yeah I'm just glad that they are in style, b/c the short dresses these days I normally  have to wear as shirts. lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I'm big on black and white floral prints.  Love 'em!

I'm average height, but I have to stay away from the short dresses as well.  I wonder sometimes who they make these things for!  I love the maxi dresses, I just can't pull them off.  I'm 5'5" and have a very athletic build, so it just looks...odd.  LOL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Love that maxi dress. I haven't bought one because I'm not sure when I'd be able to wear one. I always go for above the knee length.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]oh, good...hahaa. I am not kidding, I NEVER wear anything with a pattern so I was nervous. Glad you approve...haha. thanks. :-) Yeah I'm just glad that they are in style, b/c the short dresses these days I normally  have to wear as shirts. lol.
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

Ugh, so jealous a.m, I can't wear those, they are always too long and I end up tripping allover myself!! So cute, though! :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soon2bMrsColin. Show Soon2bMrsColin's posts

In Response to Re: Rehearsal Dinner Dress:
    [QUOTE]White for a RD? Is this a "Knot" brain washer? Never heard of that. A RD is usually casual and fun. Wear whatever you like to wear. Jeans are fine as far as I am concerned. If you want to dress up a bit - then go for that.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

LOL I love it! You're right the knot does brainwash!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rehearsal Dinner Dress : LOL I love it! You're right the knot does brainwash!
    Posted by Soon2bMrsColin[/QUOTE]

LOL I was at a shower recently and people were asking the bride and I about how difficult planning is.  She told them, Oh it's not so bad just go on the Knot and they give you a whole list of things to do.  I could not bite my tongue!  I said, Noooo do not pay attention to the looong list they give you - you'd go crazy!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rehearsal Dinner Dress : LOL I was at a shower recently and people were asking the bride and I about how difficult planning is.  She told them, Oh it's not so bad just go on the Knot and they give you a whole list of things to do.  I could not bite my tongue!  I said, Noooo do not pay attention to the looong list they give you - you'd go crazy!!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I used the knot's list, but the first thing I did was check off all the things that I knew I'd never do!  I hacked away a good portion of it; how insane some of those things were.  LOL  What was left over, though, was a really good list for me to know we were on track with what we needed to do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Ha, I think I checked off everything, and continue to check off for my "month to dos" (without doing them by their time-table).  After that, I feel like I have completed everything!  I think their list is WAY too long. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I hear ya, Kar and Good.  Pretty much the same for me... Either I already knew to do the stuff or I knew I never would, so I just ignored it.  I did however carry a little notebook/to do list around for like 6 weeks.  My own personal Knot list :o)