Running of the Brides

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Running of the Brides

Here's a PSA for anyone in need of a dress: it's almost time for the next Running of the Brides event! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

Re: Running of the Brides

Is anyone going to this/ has been to the Running before? Any funny stories?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I went to the last one with a friend. Per the recommendations of the ladies here, we went at 11am, after the madness. Everything was hung up nicely, there were so many beautiful dresses and I couldn't believe the prices.

But we didn't end up getting a dress because the one my friend realy loved was just in need of too many repairs for it to be worthwhile. So much of it's beading was crushed and the halter was completely torn at the ends. It broke her heart to have to leave it behind, but she knew she'd end up paying more in repairs than the dress was worth.
    And so many of the dresses looked like nothing I've ever seen in a bridal mag. Pretty bluch colors and big jeweled necklines.

It's definitely worth going and hunting around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

So are they samples? Or new dresses?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Running of the Brides:
    So are they samples? Or new dresses?
    Posted by pinkandpearls

they're dresses that have been at every running of the brides this year, so they're sample quality. they've been tried on, tugged at, and tossed on the floor.
    You'll see some broken zippers, missing buttons, stains, rips, tears. But someof the dresses are in much better shape than others.
    It's totally worth going and most dresses just need to be cleaned, and usually anything wrong with most of them isn't anything some simple alterations can't fix.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

I found my dress there 5 years ago.  It was only dirty at the bottom, which was fine because it was too long anyway, and was missing some small beads on the shoulders.  My aunt is a seamstress and took care of the beading for me no problem.  My dress was marked at $900 and I got it for $249 so it was a great deal!  You'll find dresses that are discontinuted, or ones that were cancelled, etc.  Definitely worth taking a look around!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I think I would have an anxiety attack going to this! But, if it is for you that is awesome!! My dress was only $975, a Maggie Sottero, so I'm sure some of the ROTB dresses are more expensive than that, right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

What kinds of dresses/designers have been seen at ROTB? Sorry for the all questions! Thanks for your responses :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think I would have an anxiety attack going to this! But, if it is for you that is awesome!! My dress was only $975, a Maggie Sottero, so I'm sure some of the ROTB dresses are more expensive than that, right?
    Posted by augustbride20

actually the max price is $800, not a single dress marked above that.

I went at 11am, and there was no crazy crowd, no fight for dresses, everythign was hung up again, and there will still way more desses than you could ever look at or try on in a day. Literally hundreds and hundreds of them. I was kind of disappointed I hadn't gone there before my wedding, but I only paid $99 for my dress and I didn't see anything there priced that low.

I saw Alfred Angelo, Pronovias, Vera Wang, Calvin Klein- lots of designers you see in the magazines and in boutiques. and lots of custom-designed dresses that are there because they were ordered but never picked up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

I got my dress there and it was in very good condition, just a couple of loose beads. I paid less than 10% of what the original cost of the dress was.  As everyone else has said, there is no need to go early (unless you want the experience).  There will still be tons of stuff later in the day.  In Feb they had the dresses priced at $249, $499, and $799. There is every shape, style, size, and color you could possibly imagine, plus a few you probably would never imagine.

We saw dresses from all of the designers that Pink mentioned, plus Nicole Miller, Priscilla's of Boston, Monique Lhuillier, and Eve of Milady.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In 2006, I got two dresses for $250 each.  One a Mori Lee, worth around $800.  The other a Jasmine Haute Couture, worth at least $1000-1200.  The Mori Lee was missing a few beads, but nothing noticeable.  Neither one had a single stain.

We too went around 11:00 to avoid the craziness.  There were still tons of dresses left and by that time they had been put back on the racks. 
    2 years later I went with my SIL and we got there a little earlier, like 10:00.  It was totally different - still crazy with dresses all over the place.  I can't believe how people treat some dresses.  That could be someone's dream dress and you couldn't bother to put it back in the plastic bag before you threw it on the ground??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I can't believe how people treat some dresses.  That could be someone's dream dress and you couldn't bother to put it back in the plastic bag before you threw it on the ground??
    Posted by framerican51008

I have to say that I can't understand why the event organizers allow that to go on. They'd sell more dresses if people weren't allowed to mangle them. And imagine how many people walk out of that rush empty handed because they were too overwhelmed, or the people who don't go at all because they don't know it gets better around 11am? That's lost money right there. I definitely would have gone and bought a dress there myself, had I known the frenzy died down by noon. But you don't learn that stuff until you go to message boards like this one. That shouldn't be insider info.
    What revenue they do attract by the sheer notoriaty of the "running" can't possibly make up for that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

pinkandpearls- did you go? find anything you loved?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

Hi!

So I went...about an hour after the big run. I went with my mom (best shopping partner ever) just for fun with a "if we find one, great!, if not, let's have fun" kind of attitude.

I gotta say, I wasn't entirely impressed. I really want a white dress and the vast majority seemed to be ivory or gold colors. Although there were some very nice dresses out there, I thought the overall quality wasn't great. Maybe I didn't hunt hard enough?

I knew within the first few hours, it would be crazy. But even around noon there were still groups hoarding dresses (which got to be very annoying). Including one group of ladies who must bought about 15-20 dresses!

So, all in all, in a fun time spent with my mom but I didn't walk away with *the* dress. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I also noticed there weren't a lot fo white dresses. maybe they get snapped up early in the morning, or maybe they just don't hang around long enough to get put in the sale?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

When I was there, a lot of girls were looking for "white" so everytime one got put back on a rack, there was someone there to grab it.

It's hard to judge the colors in the Hynes because the lighting wasn't great and so a very pretty ivory dress looks a little "discolored" next to a white dress. At least, that's they way I saw it.

Maybe there are more white dresses in the Feb sale? I should have my dress ordered by then  so it will be too late for me but for anyone else considering going...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hey Pink(s)!  We went like 2 years ago and my feelings were the same as yours.  The dresses were very dirty and mostly damaged.  I didn't find anything I liked.   The only one I liked a little had snags in the silk that couldn't be repaired.  It was so sad to see such beautiful dresses in such horrible condition. But I didn't want to tarnish your experience, so I didn't want to say anything!  I went with my MOH and we had fun (went around 5 PM, much later), but we didn't find anything either.

But then again I saw a few girls buying dresses, so it works for some people!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BensonRobert. Show BensonRobert's posts

I like to wear skirts, especially when the bride to wear gauze that feeling is really terrific below I recommend a few gown

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

There's really probably no way to ask this nicely, but - why does it matter which of the 2,000 nearly identical shades of "white" the dress is?  Unless you're in a wedding with another bride where it will be really obvious, it is really worth spending more to have "white" as opposed to winter white, ivory, eggshell, ghost white, old lace, splashed white, pale white, dark ivory, cream, etc?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, not all shades of white look flattering on everyone. For me, being so pale, ivory is too close to my skin color and makes me look washed out, and anything yellow-y makes me look ill. So, I was looking specifically for a white dress.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Intriguing.  I look equally grotesque in all shades of white, and most of my friends who wear white can wear any shade they want.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

I have trouble telling the difference between the various "whites" but in this case (at the Running of the Brides), you could definately tell between "white" and "ivory" or "gold". It wasn't a subtle shade difference it was a bold color difference. Does that make sense?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

Nothing funnier that a bunch of chubby Revere chicks trying to get a good deal. I really love it when they fight in the aisles. The running of the brides makes the Jerry Springer show look like PBS.

Sections
Shortcuts