Running of the Brides

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Running of the Brides

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone is going to be at the running of the brides next Friday August 21st?  I've never been before and think it should be an interesting experience!!  Also, if anyones done it before, please share some tips!! 

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JillieM. Show JillieM's posts

Re: Running of the Brides

I bought my dress there last August and my tip to you is to wait until 12ish to go. Yes I know, I sound crazy! However, a friend of mine who works for Filenes Basement (Running of the Brides being one of her gigs) told me that by noon the craziness is over and all of the dresses are hung nicely on their racks. This made me nervous, “would I be missing something by not going early”? She explained to me that most of the of the people that are there for the rush were friends of the brides. Therefore, out of the 300 people that run through the door, there may be 30-40 brides. When I got there at noon there were thousands of dresses left and not that many girls there, it was very relaxed. I guess the record time for all of the dresses to be off their racks is 30 seconds! Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope you get “your” dress!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Running of the Brides:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I was wondering if anyone is going to be at the running of the brides next Friday August 21st?  I've never been before and think it should be an interesting experience!!  Also, if anyones done it before, please share some tips!!  Thanks!
    Posted by Dreamer-6-19[/QUOTE]
    I don't think I could handle it. All I picture is the episode of Friends when Rachel is hiding under the racks blowing her whistle, and Moncia is wrestling the other bride. Ahhh....but I will go to help, Dreamer :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhigs. Show dhigs's posts

I found my dress at ROTB in February. We went at 10, and that was when things started to calm down a little. I recommend bringing some friends - to zip dresses, to hold onto (physically) the dresses you like and to look for more to try on. I found the one I purchased and people kept trying to take it from us so my friend just held onto it for me. It can be draining so bring a snack and some water.
    Have fun!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Dreamer!  I went to the ROTB last year in the evening (not for the mad, morning rush).  My best friend and I went after work, maybe around 5 PM.  It was actually very quiet and so we were able to look through ALL the racks and I tried on a bunch of dresses.  It was kind of fun, BUT, I have to say the dresses were in pretty poor condition.  This sale moves around the country now, so the dresses that don't sell are packed up and taken to the next stop.  That means many of them have been abused during the morning madness multiple times.  So the dresses were pretty dirty, some had broken zippers or snags, and were in pretty poor shape.  Granted, we did go at the end of the day, so maybe all the nice ones had been sold already.

Anyway, I found one dress I liked and it was $499, but it was DIRTY.  I talked to the cleaning company at the sale and they said it would cost about $500 to clean it and hem it, coming to a total of $1000!  So it wasn't as cheap as I was hoping it would be.  And the dress had a snag in the silk that couldn't be repaired, so I passed.

I wasn't that impressed, but I did see a few brides walking out with dresses, so they did find their dress!

It was still fun to go and I got to try on tons of dresses in a short period of time, which I think is hard to do at a dress shop.  It helped me get an idea of what I like.  I'd suggest bringing at least one friend if you go later to help you in and out of the dresses.  If you go for the morning madness, bring a few friends as you'll need them to guard your dresses.  If you can, I'd bring a mirror also because they don't have many there.

Good luck and have fun!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Hi Dreamer!  Hope all is going well with the DJ selectionLaughing

I got my dress from ROTB last year and I had a good experience.  I didn't do the actual running, but I took a long lunch break from work and went around 11:30am.  Most of the dresses were back up on the racks, and there were still alot of people there, but it wasn't too crazy.

I was there for about an hour and a half and I found my dress.  It was in great condition and I didn't even have to get it cleaned.  I knew before I went what style I wanted (mermaid or drop waist) and the majority of the dresses were ball gowns, so it was easier to search the racks by sight and wait for something to catch my eye.  I only found about 5 dresses in the style that I wanted, and only 2 that I was really considering.  The one I ended up buying fit like a glove and people kept coming up to me asking if they could have it, so I knew it looked good.

If I could do it over again, I would have made sure to have people come with me.  2 of my sisters were supposed to come with me and had something come up at the last minute so I was alone (but I met a stand-in mom for the day who helped me).  It also would have been nice if I had my own mirror.

Hope that helps!  Good luck and let us know how you make out!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I echo others - you don't have to at 6am unless you really want to.  I got two dresses for myself in 2006 and went with my FSIL last year when she got one.  In 2006, we arrived around 11 and it was perfect.  Things had died down, dresses were back on the racks.  In 2008, we arrived around 10 and even just that one hour earlier was a lot crazier.  People were still hoarding dresses in piles so it was kind of annoying, but there were some to look at on the racks.

I got two dresses for $250 each - one is Jasmine Haute Couture and one is Mori Lee.  Neither of them needed to be cleaned.  My FSIL also got one for $250.  Can't wait to see her in it in a couple months!!

I recommend bringing at least one person with you and having some idea of what you want so she can help look through the racks.  Even if all you know is you don't want straps or you do want ivory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I'm thinking about going on my lunch break - is it at Hynes this year? Do they keep it open all day?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Wow, I actually thought it was at Filenes Basement...goes to show how much I know....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: Running of the Brides:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I actually thought it was at Filenes Basement...goes to show how much I know....
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't know much about it either. I just saw this website http://www.filenesbasement.com/bridal/, but I didn't see anywhere how late you can show up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Peonie, it used to be at Filene's Basement, but that has been closed for renovations for the past year or two so it's been at the Hynes Convention Center.  Maybe someday the Basement will reopen :o)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Last year it was at the Hynes and I think it was open until 8 PM.  I went at 5 PM and we stayed about 2 hrs.  I think I emailed the woman listed on the website to find out what time it closes.  Her email is:  Pat.BoudrotATfilenesbasement.com
    She also sent me a little guide with advice on the sale (although it was mostly covered in the FAQ).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Thanks ladies for all of your posts...I'll write back a more detailed response once I get home from work. 

I did get the Strategies of Success from Pat.  I've copied it below.

Strategies for Success at the Filene’s Basement Bridal Gown Sale(aka The Running of the Brides®)   The Week Before the Sale: Pick a team -- people whose taste you trust and are willing to get in there and do shopping battle for you  Hold a pre-sale meeting with your team ·        come up with a team uniform- matching hats, t-shirts, headbands, carry whistles-anything that would make it easier to find each other in the crowd·        assign jobs to team members—someone to gather, someone to trade, someone to help you in and out of the dresses, someone to guard your inventory from prowlers·        tear out pages from bridal magazines, or print styles from on-line wedding gown sites to show your team what you’re looking for ·        pick place to rendezvous in the store The Morning of the Sale: Dress code-- wear a sports bra and shorts or a bathing suit so you can try on dresses anywhere in the store; DO NOT WEAR FLIP FLOPS if you plan to participate in the “rush to the racks” (we’ve seen a couple of nasty tumbles) Leave your handbag at home—you’ll need both hands for this.  Please, NO MAKE-UP. You wouldn’t want to see the dress of your dreams only to find it smeared with lipstick. CLEAN HANDS     are appreciated. No food or drinks inside the store; get rid of trash before the doors open in the receptacles provided Best Time to Arrive The doors open at 8am. Brides-to-be and their teams who have been in line the longest will get to the racks first. In fact, it’s possible that the racks will be bare by the time you get into the store. DON’T DESPAIR! The dresses are not all gone. You’ll see brides trading or putting dresses back on the racks almost immediately. Use the first hour to look for brides who are trying on dresses you like. Then, be there to grab or trade for her “rejects.”    INSIDER TIP:   If you’re not up to the chaos of store opening, arrive late morning or anytime up to store closing. Dresses will be back on the racks and the atmosphere will be much calmer. REMEMBER, this sale looks a lot more competitive than it really is—most of the hundreds of people you see in the rush to the racks are helpers, not buyers. Each team ends up with just one dress. (Alright, sometimes two, but that’s rare). There are still plenty of dresses to choose from. In fact, last year over 90% of the brides-to-be who came to this sale found their dream dress.  At the Event Be nice—with all the excitement, shoppers have been known to get a little territorial and competitive. As our security manager once said to a TV reporter, “you don’t want to be walking down the aisle knowing you had to punch somebody out to get the dress.” Be considerate—have your helpers put dresses you don’t want on the hangers and back on the racks. Think of how disappointed you’d be if you found your perfect wedding dress, only to see that it had been trampled on and damaged.    Be fair–keep only the dresses you are seriously considering, and set the others free as soon as possible.  Remember, wedding gowns don’t always run true to size—look not only for your regular dress size, but try a size or two bigger as well. Even if a dress isn’t the perfect fit, at this price it may be worth the cost of alterations. Experts on gown cleaning and alterations will be on hand to advise you.  Try on whatever comes your way--sometimes a gown that isn’t what you pictured yourself wearing turns out to be “the one.”  Be decisive--it’s only a one-day sale and gowns are not returnable. Have fun--if you find a dress, great. If not and you still have some time to look, go to www.filenesbasement.com/bridal for the city and date of the next sale.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

I looked online quick and couldn't find out what time the event ends.  It starts at 8am and ends based on location...but since its at the Hynes, there are no hours listed. 

I emailed Pat to find out for you...I'll keep you posted. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Pat got back to me already...here are the details.  She said if you want to be there for the "rush to the racks" then you should get there around 6am. : )

Filene’s Basement’s

Running of the Brides®

Friday, August 21, 2009 - - 8:00am to 8:00pm

Hynes Convention Center

900 Boylston Street (line forms here)

Boston, MA 02199

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would like to build off of something Pat mentioned - don't forget to have someone put the dresses back in the bags after you try them on.  You wouldn't want someone to find the dress of her dreams after you left it on the ground to get filthy.  That really bugged me last year!!  Seriously, you brought 5 girlfriends with you and not one of you could put the dresses back in the bags?  Maybe I'm just a goody two shoes :o)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

I'm going with my mom, sister (my MOH) and two BM's.  I will definitely bring a mirror and some water!!  I think I want to go in the morning just for the rush of it.  If its too crazy, I figure we will go out for brunch and then go back when things calm down so I can take my time and go thru everything.  Plus, I took the day off work - so why not!?! I also know I want a sweetheart neckline so that should help narrow down the selection.  Plus, I'm also 5'11 without heels so I'm hoping for some longs!  Kiss

Sept - I still haven't seen that friends episode! I'll have to find it and watch it soon!!

Trex - Thanks for the warning...I definitely do not feel that I "need" to find THE dress...I'm going with the intention of having fun and if I find the dress that I love for cheap, then even better!

DBK - I decided on Rich and Dean (THANKS!!)!  I met with them last week after work and they were such nice guys and I think they will do a great job.  I didn't want to ask some of the rude/obvious questions (no costumes/games etc), but they answered all of them without me asking.  They were so easy to talk to and I look forward to working with them! 

Fra - I completely agree with putting the dresses back in the bags!!  I'm a neat freak and always like things organized, so I'll be sure to take good care of them! Smile

Thanks again ladies for all your help!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]DBK - I decided on Rich and Dean (THANKS!!)!  I met with them last week after work and they were such nice guys and I think they will do a great job.  I didn't want to ask some of the rude/obvious questions (no costumes/games etc), but they answered all of them without me asking.  They were so easy to talk to and I look forward to working with them!  Posted by Dreamer-6-19[/QUOTE]

Yay!  So glad it worked out.  You won't be disappointed.

Good luck on Friday!  If nothing else, you'll have a great time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Pat got back to me already...here are the details.  She said if you want to be there for the "rush to the racks" then you should get there around 6am. : ) Filene’s Basement’s Running of the Brides® Friday, August 21, 2009 - - 8:00am to 8:00pm Hynes Convention Center 900 Boylston Street (line forms here) Boston , MA 02199
    Posted by Dreamer-6-19[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this information! I hope it's not too crowded/picked over by the evening.

Good luck with your dress search!! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running of the Brides : Thanks for this information! I hope it's not too crowded/picked over by the evening. Good luck with your dress search!! :)
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Good luck to you too!!  Let us know how it turns out!  Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dreamer, the sweetheart neckline is SO flattering and feminine.  LOVE it.  I even like it on jerseys...anything.  It complements everyone's face, and the frame around your chest will be gorgeous, too.  Not to mention it usually comes on an A-line shaped dress which shows off your figure.

Not that you needed encouragement since you've already decided on it, but figured I'd give my thumbs up on that choice!  Not a lot of gowns have it, but they are out there.  Good luck!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Sweatheart is beautiful, but it would not work on me... I have a large chest. So it is not flattering on everyone :(

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

Thanks Kar and Peonie.  I don't have a large chest so I shouldn't have any problems and A-line would be perfect!  I'll keep you updated if I find anything good! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi Dreamer, did you go this morning? How was it? I hope you found a gorgeous dress!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

I got THE dress!!!!! I am AMAZED that I got it yesterday!  It was my first time trying on dresses and the dress I got is NOTHING I originally thought I wanted.  MY (!!) dress is trumpet style, straight strapless neckline (I am going to get it altered to sweetheart), and has lace and gorgeous beading!! 

I thought I wanted a dress with ruching and I didnt even think I liked lace..I was open to try on anything and I fell in love with it!!  I definitely thought the trumpet style looked the best on my body (I'm 5'11, have curves and small chest) and the dress fits like a glove!  Its a little big in the chest, but once I get it altered to a sweetheart neckline it will be perfect!!  The dress was originally 3,000 and I got it for 500!!  Amazing deal!!  The only thing is that I have no clue who the designer is!!  There are NO tags anywhere on the dress!!!!  Has anyone ever heard of this??   

Once we got home we examined every inch of the dress and all the beading is flawless and the dress has no stains or markings!  I definitely lucked out!!! 

As for the experience - I got there around 5:45 and the time went by really quick...it was fun to see everyone dressed up and into it.  Once we started running (literally) and got inside the Hynes all of the dresses were already off the racks!!  Out of the 5 of us, my sister is the one who somehow got 4 dresses.  It was just the right amount to try on and it was very easy to decide which I liked and which I didnt like and then we traded dresses from there.  Some of the brides were really nice and others were just awful, but I would say the majority were nice.  Two of the dresses I gave to other people, the brides ended up buying them..so that was a nice feeling. : )  

Ill try to post some pics of the dress..