Salon with larger sample sizes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EJL1023. Show EJL1023's posts

Salon with larger sample sizes?

I am recently engaged and trying to figure out where to go to look at dresses after the holidays.  I am a street size 14, so I'm worried about trying to squeeze into a smaller sample size.  Can anyone suggest bridal salons that carry samples in more than the standard size 8/10?  I know Bella Sera in Danvers carries a variety of sample sizes.  Any others--preferable North/West of Boston, or Southern NH?  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Salon with larger sample sizes?

Now, don't laugh at me, but I always say that Marry and Tux in Nashua, NH is "worth the drive for a plus size bride"

They carry SO many samples in sizes up to 30W! Even Maggie Sottero's. Seriously, check them out! I am a street size 12/14 and was soooo comfortable trying on gowns there :)

Good Luck!
    http://marryandtuxbridal.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Is it weird that when I read the subject, I really thought she was talking about hair salons with large shampoo bottles. Wow!

Can't give you advice, but I have heard that Marry and Tux is good, or so the girls have said on this board in the past.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EJL1023. Show EJL1023's posts

Wow, you did surprise me with that one.  I actually live in Nashua and have driven past that place countless times but always thought it looked kind of cheesy.  I am not a fan of Maggie Sottero but I will check out their website to see what other lines they carry.  The dresses I have liked the most in photos are Paloma Blanca and Jim Hjelm. 

In Response to Re: Salon with larger sample sizes?:
    [QUOTE]Now, don't laugh at me, but I always say that Marry and Tux in Nashua, NH is "worth the drive for a plus size bride" They carry SO many samples in sizes up to 30W! Even Maggie Sottero's. Seriously, check them out! I am a street size 12/14 and was soooo comfortable trying on gowns there :) Good Luck! http://marryandtuxbridal.com/
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

Check out Camilla's in Arlington for Paloma Blanca.  Most of their samples were size 12 or 10.  It is a small store but the owner and her mother were very sweet and helpful. 

I ended up buying my dress at Kleinfeld in NYC but I would not have hesitated to buy at Camillas if that is where I had found "the" dress.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Peonie, I thought the same thing!  I clicked on this thinking I'd find out about large free samples of shampoo. :)

Sorry, I can't answer the OP's question, but I had to just let Peonie know she wasn't the only one!

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I bought mine at Marry and Tux, too.   Love the place!   Don't know what designers they have - mine was Bridal Originals. 

I think Madeline's Daughter in Portsmouth has larger sizes, and there have been great reviews about them here, too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Didn't someone once post about a place called Botticelli that specializes in full figured formal wear?

found it! they specialize in sizes 16W and up.
    botticelliri.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EJL1023. Show EJL1023's posts

I read about Botticelli but I'm not really looking for 16W and up and quite frankly don't consider myslef "plus sized."  I wear a 12/14 and shop in regular stores--I just need a dress shop that has something other than a size 8 for me to try on. 

[QUOTE]Didn't someone once post about a place called Botticelli that specializes in full figured formal wear? found it! they specialize in sizes 16W and up. botticelliri.com
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Just as a heads up, bridal sizes tend to run small.  My dress is 2 or 3 sizes bigger than my street size.  And it wasn't just the shop trying to buy it big so they can get all the money for alterations - I tried on that size in the shop and that's what fit me.  Always good to know heading in so it doesn't come as a shock!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I read about Botticelli but I'm not really looking for 16W and up and quite frankly don't consider myslef "plus sized."  I wear a 12/14 and shop in regular stores--I just need a dress shop that has something other than a size 8 for me to try on.  In Response to Re: Salon with larger sample sizes? :
    Posted by EJL1023[/QUOTE]

I don't consider 16 plus-sized.  I do consider 00 and 0 to be 'minus-sized.'  Alas, no one asked my opinion.  If you're a 12/14 street size, it might be a good idea to check out a 16 bridal, because they run small.  Also, it'll be easier to tell how it will look if the sample is too big than if it's too small.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Lucy. Also, there's nothing wrong with plus-size. According to the modeling world, anyone over a size 4 is "plus-size"
    I just take it to mean they take pride in making full figured women look beautiful, which is not soemthing every bridal salon can say. I've seen some horror stories on here about sales people making notsonice comments to brides.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I went to 125 Bridal in Plaistow and a lot of the dresses I tried on were size 14. I've also learned that trunk show dresses are mostly size 6, so that might be good to know. I was disappointed when I couldn't get a dress over my hips. I'm a street size 8/10. The dresses that fit me the best were a size 12. I ended up buying a size 10 with the promise that they could change the zipper back to a corset back.

Sections
Shortcuts